Killer Apps

(naw)mcx said:
rabidpoobear said:
mali said:
An advanced form of Stockholm syndrome, maybe :D

edit:
Vorporeal said:
I'd assume that quasist and PoisonedV would be cousins, no?
I really miss them.

Me too. Did PoisonedV get banned or did he just stop posting?

Banhammered

Really? For what?

(I can't say I'm totally surprised, but I thought he/she (were we ever sure?) generally didn't cross the ban-line...)

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
rabidpoobear said:
Me too. Did PoisonedV get banned or did he just stop posting?
You had a clinch with a guy named Chest recently. That might have been him ;)
I don't think that's the case. PV was an ass and very abrasive, but he was never really wrong. His posting style was very "you said something stupid or ignorant and since I lack a respectable level of tact I'm going to mock you mercilessly until you understand the error of your ways"
Chest was full of BS with no point.

Edit: Nevermind. Short summary of my post, I disagree with some things said and have corroborating evidence, but it's not worth my time.

WizardStan said:
I don't think that's the case. PV was an ass and very abrasive, but he was never really wrong. His posting style was very "you said something stupid or ignorant and since I lack a respectable level of tact I'm going to mock you mercilessly until you understand the error of your ways"
Chest was full of BS with no point.
That's the problem. He is now a troll-troll and no known member of the forums any more, as he has lost his original account. He wanted to lose that account though, I've heard. I might be wrong though and that Chest is someone totally different. If I had a say, I'd unban his original account and watch what happens.

i think an awesome, if not killer app, would be something that would mimic what the openmoko does. all of wikipedia at once, OFFLINE! sweet right?

joce said:
i think an awesome, if not killer app, would be something that would mimic what the openmoko does. all of wikipedia at once, OFFLINE! sweet right?

That's not an Openmoko original. You can do that on any iPod. (Yes, even the first generation iPods. Look up wikipodia and the iPodLinux project.)

ew, ipod. anyways...would be sweet on pandora, and if i can get away from movie references, maybe even good on this here pandora.

Keep in mind that the compressed download of the text for all of the articles on Wikipedia (this excludes talk and user pages, and is only the most recent revision of each article) is somewhere around 6GB. It's _probably_ not worth taking with you.

cliff notes of all the knowledge in the world? i'd buy an 8gig card for that. but that's just me

I'm just gonna download the archive of the Simple English wikipedia :p

[edit]
also: Don't Panic.

Anyone else noticing that all this super-futuristic stuff is real now? No one seems to talk about it.
Verne talked about submarines and space vehicles and such and now they're real.
On Star Trek we had communicators that let us get in instant contact with any of the other crew members, no matter how far away they were. Our cell phones do it now, and it's not even between crew and ship, but for EVERYONE that has one!
and now we can literally carry around a tome of knowledge with millions of articles, collaboratively edited by anyone, and all we have to sacrifice is $20 for an 8 gig SD card?
Sign me up!

When people talk about what the future will bring, I tell them to look around now! The only reason we don't have flying cars is just because it's a wasteful and impractical way to make vehicles, not because we couldn't have them.
[/edit]

mali said:
Killer feature for me, besides gaming and productivity: Learning Linux. I want to _understand_ how it works. I tinkered a bit with Linpus on my Aspire One, but its unreliability forced me to install XP.

Heh. I have an Aspire One, too. I tore out the Linpus and replaced it with Ubuntu Netbook Remix. All Linux distros are not created equal :)

rabidpoobear said:
[...]
I know what JayFoxRox and ED and Craig look like now, just need some MWeston, Fatih, Mali, Exo and a few other guys and we can make a family scrapbook :D
[...]

Even reading my name on this feels so wrong (don't forget I'm that programming-noob and IRC spammer, even going to be married with Gary), especially being the first ;)
But yeh, also seen pics of Fatih before. MWeston only in reflections. Don't care about mali for some reason, but would love to see a pic of Exo. I'm usually interested how old other developers are and how they look like - don't ask why, its just like that :)
I'd also like to see pics of Adventus, Laurent and Hlide for that reason.

JayFoxRox said:
rabidpoobear said:
[...]
I know what JayFoxRox and ED and Craig look like now, just need some MWeston, Fatih, Mali, Exo and a few other guys and we can make a family scrapbook :D
[...]

Even reading my name on this feels so wrong (don't forget I'm that programming-noob and IRC spammer, even going to be married with Gary), especially being the first ;)
Jayfoxrox, if you're wrong, I don't wanna be right! ;)

JayFoxRox said:
But yeh, also seen pics of Fatih before. MWeston only in reflections. Don't care about mali for some reason, but would love to see a pic of Exo. I'm usually interested how old other developers are and how they look like - don't ask why, its just like that :)
I'd also like to see pics of Adventus, Laurent and Hlide for that reason.
Yes, I think we need some pics of these guys in here. WizardStan too. He's a dev (at least I'd say so, not sure if he would...?)

joce said:
urrrrg, someone was working on that a few months ago. I can't seem to find it now. Searching for "wikipedia" brings up way too many results.
Suffice to say, it would be fairly "easy" to set up the engine (just takes time) and you can have a searchable, linkable wiki in your pocket. Without images, of course.
Failing that, it's possible to just download the static HTMLs. You wouldn't be able to search, but if you knew exactly what you were looking for you could bring it up in any web browser.

rabidpoobear said:

[edit]
When people talk about what the future will bring, I tell them to look around now! The only reason we don't have flying cars is just because it's a wasteful and impractical way to make vehicles, not because we couldn't have them.
[/edit]
That's actually because we can't drive on the ground yet :p
I'd love to have Tremulous on the Pandora, that'd make my day, along with N64/PS1/DC emulation, not to what this things capable of for homebrew... Things could be wild!

Jourdy288 said:
rabidpoobear said:

[edit]
[/edit]
That's actually because we can't drive on the ground yet :p
I'd love to have Tremulous on the Pandora, that'd make my day, along with N64/PS1/DC emulation, not to what this things capable of for homebrew... Things could be wild!

Tremulous would be awesome. I hadn't played it in quite a while but I just installed it again the other day. Great game!

Vorporeal said:
Keep in mind that the compressed download of the text for all of the articles on Wikipedia (this excludes talk and user pages, and is only the most recent revision of each article) is somewhere around 6GB. It's _probably_ not worth taking with you.

Well I've had that function on my iPod Touch since 2008 and I use it all the bloody time! Sadly I had to pay £5 for the app (fair enough if they're hosting the files themselves I suppose) but it's buggy and they never updated it. I've emailed them but get crappy excuses.

IIRC Atomicthumbs is doing a project along these lines for the Pandora. I will definately use it!

JayFoxRox said:
Don't care about mali for some reason, but would love to see a pic of Exo.

I said it already but I ain't posting a picture unless Prometheus does. You want my picture, you know what to do ;D

Luftwaffles said:
Down here in South Africa 330ml cans are also the standard.

ha, and there goes my theory, that in warmer contries standard soft drink sizes are bigger. (*grumbles*)

PROMETHIUSSSSS! PIX PLOX!

ashdjones, I really want this, so if no one else is gonna do it I'll look into the DB and see how hard it'd be to write one, if I do it I'd open-source it so if I give up you can fix it up yourself :p

Back