Kitty Litter Cake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loubear said:
Don't worry, I got it covered.

Also, dcgm, come back when you've quit your job flipping burgers.
I'd reckon a dash is legitimate there, actually. Although a semicolon wouldn't be wrong, I used a dash to emphasise the second clause.

Loubear said:
That is considering that you can post things other then ad hominem attacks...
Ow, hypocrisy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, a dash is simply stylistic. The most proper form of punctuation would indeed be a semi-colon, although the dash wouldn't be incorrect.

I'm a big fan of the dash, to be honest.

edit: Than=comparison

Then=time frame

nickspoon said:
Loubear said:
Don't worry, I got it covered.

Also, dcgm, come back when you've quit your job flipping burgers.
I'd reckon a dash is legitimate there, actually. Although a semicolon wouldn't be wrong, I used a dash to emphasise the second clause.

Loubear said:
That is considering that you can post things other then ad hominem attacks...
Ow, hypocrisy.

Dashes are ok when posting on a board to connect two clauses, but it isn't really anything you'd use while writing for that purpose. Semi-colons are the preferred choice there.

Btw, your sarcasm isn't very amusing.

I prefer elipses ... they're just plain wrong no matter where you type them ;)

I use elipses often. Defintely more than I should lol

Loubear, you're saying a dash is only ok on a board? No, they are stylistic. Just like starting a sentence with "and" or "because".

You're saying they're basically improper, since there's no designation in the English language for "board only grammar".

Dashes also work extremely well when you're talking about one thing—sort of like this—but go slightly off track to elaborate on a point. I see them used quite often like this, and I believe they're 100% correct in situations like this.

Let's start a dash fanclub! :lol:

daclassicgamingmaster said:
I use elipses often. Defintely more than I should lol

Loubear, you're saying a dash is only ok on a board? No, they are stylistic. Just like starting a sentence with "and" or "because".

You're saying they're basically improper, since there's no designation in the English language for "board only grammar".

Dashes also work extremely well when you're talking about one thing—sort of like this—but go slightly off track to elaborate on a point. I see them used quite often like this, and I believe they're 100% correct in situations like this.

Let's start a dash fanclub! :lol:
a. Read my post again. See if I said it was "board only grammar".
b. "No, they are stylistic." You contradict yourself in the first and third paragraphs.
c. Not really grammatically correct to connect clauses with dashes. But this isn't your english class and no one really cares.

... oh, snap; what a diss-and to think-this topic started out so innocently ...

* Smokes a joint *

Loubear said:
I just did. Here it is for your cross reference:
Loubear said:
Dashes are ok when posting on a board to connect two clauses
Loubear said:
b. "No, they are stylistic." You contradict yourself in the first and third paragraphs.
What? LOL, that makes no sense.
Loubear said:
c. Not really grammatically correct to connect clauses. But this isn't your english class and no one really cares.
It isn't grammatically correct to connect clauses? I don't even know why I'm addressing this. it's obvious you haven't quite reached English 101.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Loubear said:
I just did. Here it is for your cross reference:
Loubear said:
Dashes are ok when posting on a board to connect two clauses
Loubear said:
What? LOL, that makes no sense.
Loubear said:
c. Not really grammatically correct to connect clauses. But this isn't your english class and no one really cares.
It isn't grammatically correct to connect clauses? I don't even know why I'm addressing this. it's obvious you haven't quite reached English 101.

a. since when is that limited to board posting? btw, that's just referring to the casual nature of a board...
b. yeah it does. since when is an "and" and a "but" for stylistic purposes?
c. with dashes it's not gramatically correct. come back when your gpa rises above a 2.

You went from saying connecting clauses isn't grammatically correct to saying it's not correct when using dashes. You're going in circles because you can't make a point.

"since when is an 'and' and a 'but' for stylistic purposes? Well, no one mentioned the word "but" to begin with. I'll let it slip though, and address your point seriously.

It's stylistic because you aren't supposed to being a sentence with either one. You should have learned that in elementary school. Ever notice acclaimed writers do it? It's because they know the rules, and they can break them. It's entirely stylistic.

I love you loubear. Please post your next reply in the chatbox so we don't get banned for derailing this fantastic kitty litter shit thread even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back