L + R Buttons

Game_over

Game Developer
While Craigix is doing some window shopping, I had a question.

Do you think the shoulder buttons be convex or concave, (kinda like PSP, SP, DS, or kinda like the original GBA, GP32, GP2x to some degree)?

We all played with all these handhelds and I was curious what type of shoulder button was more confortable to you.

I want shoulder, knee AND ankle buttons! :angry:

As long as they're not DS Lite-like, that'll be good - those give a lot of people cramp.

I kinda like the feel of the Zodiac but it was kinda uncomfortable to press them it was so thin.

I'd personally love the shoulder buttons to be like the GP32's because they had great tactile feedback...
But I've never used a GP2X, so I can't comment on that, plus GP32-style buttons wouldn't fit the Pandora's case that well, I think.

And to all the people wanting more shoulder buttons, there are (at least) two ways to do it: USB and the 4 additional leads that are on the PCB.
Someone (I think ED) put them there just for people like you who want more buttons (;

Nilsiboy said:
I'd personally love the shoulder buttons to be like the GP32's because they had great tactile feedback...
But I've never used a GP2X, so I can't comment on that, plus GP32-style buttons wouldn't fit the Pandora's case that well, I think.

And to all the people wanting more shoulder buttons, there are (at least) two ways to do it: USB and the 4 additional leads that are on the PCB.
Someone (I think ED) put them there just for people like you who want more buttons (;
I believe it was MWeston who said he put them there. As for the shoulder buttons. I like the GP2X ones, and the GBA ones. (original GBA) I didn't find the DS phat ones too bad, but I can't stand the DS Lite ones. And I never tried the GP32 ones, so I can't have an opinion on those.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2X shoulder buttons are just perfect. I think that SNES-style ones are the best, flat surface (i.e. doesn't try to "fit" your finger) but curved around the controller. It's crucial that they are pivoting around a hinge in just the right place - you don't want the pivot/microswitch in the extreme edge (like a lot of SNES controllers did) because it can be awkward to "click" if you have bigger or smaller-than-average hands.

Having bad hinge pivots, "clicky" microswitches or stylised shoulder buttons also spoils some more esoteric uses... For instance, Micro Machines on Game Gear and some other games use a control system for 2-players head-to-head (as in PHYSICALLY head-to-head) on one handheld. In emulators, it's easiest to use Up, Down and L for the first players controls and Y,A and R for the second player (I think I've got my letters right).

I'm surprised at all the hate for the DSLite's shoulder buttons. I find them about perfect. They're small, barely noticeable looking at the device, but feel great when pressed.
The only time i find them uncomfortable is if i try to use my index finger to man the 'A' button and middle finger on the 'R' like i used too on the snes. But that's uncomfortable on any handheld i've tried so far simply because the action buttons are too close together.

personally i think the GBA held backwards produces the best shoulder buttons, so something like that.

Viking said:
I want 4 shoulder buttons. :angry:
*Calls in the COWODS (Can Of Worms' Operations Destroyer Squad) quickly reseal the can and store it in a secret hidden vault placed precisely on top of an Egyptian pyramid*

Why would you want 4 shoulder buttons on a device that small anyway? It may be as wide or wider than most of the systems that are out there but the thing is still smaller (depth-wise) than a GP2X. the shoulder buttons will have to be extremely skinny and and small enough or make the bottom base of the system even bigger. I honestly think the Pandora has ENOUGH buttons AND you got a touchscreen and keyboard.

If you want a comfortable PSX experience you can use the analogs center press buttons as your L1/R2 or the other way around. Don't forget L3/R3 wasn't even introduced until PS2, so you have no more excuses.

Well that ends that conversation. ;)

Personally, I find the DS and DS Lite shoulder-buttons to be to my liking, and I also very much like those of the SNES, so I'll name those as my preference.

(Hello, first post. Long-time reader here, former GP2X owner - had to sell mine on because the screens on the early ones gave me eye issues. :p Really looking forward to the Pandora.)

Game_over said:
Why would you want 4 shoulder buttons on a device that small anyway? It may be as wide or wider than most of the systems that are out there but the thing is still smaller (depth-wise) than a GP2X. the shoulder buttons will have to be extremely skinny and and small enough or make the bottom base of the system even bigger. I honestly think the Pandora has ENOUGH buttons AND you got a touchscreen and keyboard.

If you want a comfortable PSX experience you can use the analogs center press buttons as your L1/R2 or the other way around. Don't forget L3/R3 wasn't even introduced until PS2, so you have no more excuses.

At the beginning, I also wanted 4 shoulder buttons because they are (almost) a necesity for some of my favourites PSX games. Now, I'm happy because I know people behind Pandora listened all people (like me) who wanted 4 shoulder buttons and tried to make it work... it didn't work and I can live with that, but I'm very happy because they listened us and tried to make it work.

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
Game_over said:

At the beginning, I also wanted 4 shoulder buttons because they are (almost) a necesity for some of my favourites PSX games. Now, I'm happy because I know people behind Pandora listened all people (like me) who wanted 4 shoulder buttons and tried to make it work... it didn't work and I can live with that, but I'm very happy because they listened us and tried to make it work.

Well you could plug a controller into the USB port and use the 4 shoulder buttons on that, but not likely while your holding the Pandora. :rolleyes: :lol:

Game_over said:

Hmm, all my Sony Dual Shocks have L3/R3, but they weren't used for much that is true.

Back