Latest Build News

EvilDragon said:
mali said:
^ I've seen this on pics, IIRC. The plack paint is only applied on the top below the epoxy, the sides are grey. This esthetical problem could be solved by using black rubber for the keymat.

Well... that is exactly what's puzzling me. It IS black rubber. No paint :eek:

I just checked, and the grey is definitely rubber. What's worse is tht some of the paint is missing or not properly applied to the top of some keys (mostly corners).

I'd get on the phone to the Chinese guys perhaps :D

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
mali said:
^ I've seen this on pics, IIRC. The plack paint is only applied on the top below the epoxy, the sides are grey. This esthetical problem could be solved by using black rubber for the keymat.

I just checked, and the grey is definitely rubber. What's worse is tht some of the paint is missing or not properly applied to the top of some keys (mostly corners).

Well, I have about 15 keymats here, and all keys were properly.
Doesn't seem like a common issue to me. Unless tons of people now jump in here and tell me otherwise :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
SomeGuy99 said:
EvilDragon said:
mali said:

Well, I have about 15 keymats here, and all keys were properly.
Doesn't seem like a common issue to me. Unless tons of people now jump in here and tell me otherwise :D

Fair enough.

It's worth noting, that for some reason these keys are nicer to push that my last (properly painted) keyboard. I guess the tolerances are more like were originally intended? A lot of the keys don't have that stiffness or squeak.

I have the same sort of keymat as SomeGuy - it has a couple of keys with a teeny bit of epoxy on the sides, and one or two with slightly rough corners on the top, a much less tall epoxy layer in general, and the rubber is a bit softer, allowing for quicker typing. On the previous two units, the rubber was not as visible, which may be why SomeGuy's noticing it more. :p

I'm absolutely not bothered it by it, I'd like to stress. I know that it's just something that happens with mass-production, of any sort of item.

Prometheus said:
I have the same sort of keymat as SomeGuy - it has a couple of keys with a teeny bit of epoxy on the sides, and one or two with slightly rough corners on the top, a much less tall epoxy layer in general, and the rubber is a bit softer, allowing for quicker typing. On the previous two units, the rubber was not as visible, which may be why SomeGuy's noticing it more. :p

I'm absolutely not bothered it by it, I'd like to stress. I know that it's just something that happens with mass-production, of any sort of item.

Mine is not one or two keys, it's all. I wish I had a camera right now.

I know, I just mean that mine is a similar sort of keymat to yours, though mine is barely noticeable. :p

Prometheus said:
I know, I just mean that mine is a similar sort of keymat to yours, though mine is barely noticeable. :p

Thanks. That makes me feel much better, yeah. :p

Xenu said:
D4damage said:
I'm 400-500, when they started the first shipping run in May. I rushed out at bought 2 16GB SDHC cards and an invisible shield (which made me struggle money wise for a month), thinking I'd have it in 1 or 2 weeks. We're now in early August. This is getting quite frustrating.
I'm at 3900 and I'm still smiling :) . AFAIK there hasn't been any real news about the boards and cases other then we're waiting for them.
Yeah, I'm around there too. I emailed in just over a month ago and was told I should have it in a couple of months, so I'm hoping for early September.

Does anyone know how many have gone out, now? I was told about 450 had, last month.

Going to be really disappointed if mine doesn't come by my birthday (Sept. 24). I might even cry.

marktuson said:
Does anyone know how many have gone out, now? I was told about 450 had, last month.
about 700.

marktuson said:
Going to be really disappointed if mine doesn't come by my birthday (Sept. 24). I might even cry.
My pandora arrived 5 days late for my birthday. I didn't cry :D

craigix can we have the latest omap5 armcortex cpu in the next batch of panda 1ghz oh yea baby thats some real gaming power now i am sure you will impliment a faster cpu in the panda soon craigix to keep the panda up there with the best of the best just hope its sooner and not later.

jutley said:
craigix can we have the latest omap5 armcortex cpu in the next batch of panda 1ghz oh yea baby thats some real gaming power now i am sure you will impliment a faster cpu in the panda soon craigix to keep the panda up there with the best of the best just hope its sooner and not later.

Splitting the community ? I guess Craig does have a brain and won't do this...

sebt3 said:
jutley said:

Splitting the community ? I guess Craig does have a brain and won't do this...
no its called evoulotion and the pandora has to do that to stay up there on the top and if you look at craigix twitter page he has already mentioned omap5 anyone? so he has a plan i hope to upgrade the cpu soon.

jutley said:
If I understood correctly, TI just licensed the design of the cortax Ax from ARM which they will use to implement the omap5. It will take a few years before this chip is available on the market. Hell, is the Cortex A9 (like e.g. the omap4) available already?

jutley said:
no its called evoulotion and the pandora has to do that to stay up there on the top and if you look at craigix twitter page he has already mentioned omap5 anyone? so he has a plan i hope to upgrade the cpu soon.

Heh, yeah right. Breath in, breath out, slowly, it helps.

jutley said:
Did you read the link Craigix provided through his twitter ? No OMAP5 before 2012. Are you willing to wait for that date before receiving your 2nd batch pandy ?

Ho and, don't get me wrong : I'll be on the first line to get a new pandora with omap5 in it. It will be pandora2 (to be out by 2014 :D)

jutley said:
They're still in debt from the current system. They would need to invest even more money into R&D to get any other chip into there, at which point it is no longer a "Pandora" anyway.
Craig has said he wants to make a Pandora 2 at some point far into the future, and with the knowledge gained from this system, I'm betting they could do it faster and better, but first they need to recover from the development that's already gone on.

craigix said:
It does remind me of my cracked macbook case though, if Apple can't get it right I suspect random cracking plastic might be difficult to solve.
A side note from my holidays by the lake shore. I am dealing with fracture and crack propagation in my scientific research. I can tell you that although cracks seem to be random, they are not. It is possible to make numerical simulations with the case, calculate the stresses and predict the crack paths. I doubt if it's worth the effort though - any kind of results here would lead to changing the case and mold, which you are not going to do :)

SomeGuy99 said:
mali said:

I could have sworn my last keys were all black...

Nevertheless, I'm not exaggerating this. It looks horrible.

I too want to see photos of this.

Edit: Also, we're not using any recycled external parts on any units yet - when the next shipment arrives we probably never will as the cases are so cheap to produce.

craigix said:
SomeGuy99 said:
mali said:

I could have sworn my last keys were all black...

Nevertheless, I'm not exaggerating this. It looks horrible.

I too want to see photos of this.

Edit: Also, we're not using any recycled external parts on any units yet - when the next shipment arrives we probably never will as the cases are so cheap to produce.

Well this unit needs to be sent back because the battery/power circuit is dead. I'll write a note along the lines of 'show this to Craig'

Back