Let's go - Help wanted :) (2012-10-01)

I noticed the Dragonbox is completely out of Pandoras. Are the finances in place to order the next batch now? also I presume a run of 1Ghz models will need to be made and start selling before a 600Mhz batch is ordered.. is that the case?

Thanks.
Hoping a new batch is on the horizon. I ordered when there were about 5 left, but my wages and wire transfer didn't arrive until after the weekend, at which point they've now sold out. Even though the order page says it's been packaged and is awaiting the wire transfer, I'm just hoping my unit wasn't sold to someone else while ED was waiting for my payment.

Ah, well. I'm "not aware of the situation", apparently. Thank you for knowing more about what I know and don't know than what I do myself. And what you're writing apparently doesn't mean what it looks like. Good. I'm certain that it is just me who is an outlier, and that the difference in reactions when you post a thread and when ED posts a thread (as you mentioned yourself) is only down to ED being an Official Person. We're very much in awe of Official Persons here. That's why nobody has dared criticize ED or Craig before you came along. We're happy to have you. Never mind me.

Ah, well. At least I tried.

Yes this is what I'm saying. For instance

Several of the things you mention as being "obvious" and that it is a mystery that you had to come along to get the idea

This misinterprets several things. One I am saying it is obvious there is a problem and here are some reasons why the problem exists. Two my surprise that it took someone like me to do so was an act of self deprecation. I was speaking ill of myself which I'll come back to later. I never claimed that Ed was a special person (and I'm not) MERELY because he's an official person. Few could match the success of making the same requests as ED via forum post. Do you deny this???

This is what I said about Ed. Please note it has nothing whatsoever to do with what you're claiming that I said. Nothing.

When Ed mentions the same thing, there's lots of interest. Just look at this thread and what it has produced in terms of media and actual donations. So Eds involvement is a motivator. The confidence of many pre-orderers that are considering cancelling would increase with the direct involvement of either Ed or the community in fixing these issues.

Here I admit my character flaws, which you ignore and instead gather I'm implying that I'm blessing you with my presence.

Additionally, my direct involvement seems to retard or lesson the progress or adoption of certain ideas and would be better served if someone else that has the respect of the community spearheaded the effort. Someone that acts in an official capacity would be ideal. But Ed and the moderators are busy. So someone else from the community needs to step up and help work towards making this project succefull while at the same time proving to the pre-orderers that their trust in the product and the community is valid. Telling the pre-orderer (previously me) to do it when I already said I'm not the right guy for several reasons (perhaps even proven) doesn't help the situation.

That's why nobody has dared criticize ED or Craig before you came along.
So all that stuff about ideas you said before was untrue? It seems to me that the mere suggestion of room for improvement means it's a direct attack on OPT when that was certainly not true in my case.

does "gauss" mean "quote"?
Does F mean Fuq? I can do it too. My posts turn into quote fest because invariably I am incabable of communicating ideas in such a way that people understand them for what they are. I say X everyone blasts me for saying Y. Then I have to re-explain that I was actually saying X and not Y.

I spoilered that quote fest because I understand that very few people will actually read it and it is very long. However the evidence remains for the %0.01 of the people that would read it. I take no offense that you haven't. That being said for most every potshot thrown my way I'm likely to return the favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do lay claim to those ideas that created this thread for instance.

Ok, you helped create this thread. That's good, thank-you.

I appreciate the opportunity to donate, and help us get out of the pre-order mess.

Let's continue, staying on topic of this thread - how we can help Open Pandora get past its financial and pre-order troubles.

I don't think it would be helpful to continue arguing, so please would everyone stop arguing and post helpful things.

Dredd what are your suggestions? What areas can you identify that need room for improvement? What are the things the community should do to address the situation? What are some of the first steps that need to be done by the community? What method do you propose to organize these ideas? How do we determine who should organize these ideas? Is it necessary to determine who organizes these ideas? Is there something that we should prioritize first? How do we determine the fundamental issues? What are these issues? Where do you want to go from here?

I donated a bit. I wish I could give more, but with a preorder, an 1GHZ upgrade and small donations here and there... I'm going to need to start saving cash. Especially since I'm about to backpack though the world =P

I need a lie down.

Agree 100%, feels like 'Overgauss = Overkill'. You're probably doing it with the best intentions Overgauss but good arguments don't necessarely need to be long arguments! And not everything needs to be argumented about (or defended for that matter).

Peace out \/

Just made my order through Ed's shop and will be donating to the good cause as well. That's about the best I can do to help out. :)

my cross-upgrade order has just shipped :) Just have to wait a few days or more for shipping (Germany to New Zealand is probally going to take a week :( ) and I'll finally have my Pandora.
In my experience ordering from Germany to Australia has been rather prompt. And Kiwi land ain't that much farther. Hope you get it soon mate. *Thumbs up!*

In the end shipping took 3 weeks but it's been working great (Except that New Zealand/Auckland isn't a timezone option in the pandora menus :p so I've had to setup my pandora in wrong time zone). Thanks EvilDragon for allowing these upgrades to happen.

I'm not arguing, and i 'did' read all that long quote of yours Overgauss, which is why I said it was long and took me ages to get through.

As for the 'f meaning fuq', yeah if you like mate, whatever eh, go on all rude about it if you want but my comment was more tongue in cheek and not being rude. If i wanted to be rude to you you'd know about it because i would be blatant about it. ....but I'm not a rude bloke and certainly not on the net, net beef is imo pretty weak.

So continue your suggestions, I will continue reading them.

As for the original topic, I think the donations are obviously working, though will be a slow movement of clearing all the remaining orders. Maybe some merch would be a good move, those nice tee's that Ed has been seen in, surely those would sell ... I'd imagine pretty much all of us would purchase one, at a price that was x-amount over the cost of making them and shipping them. Though not sure what kind of money that would be, would it be enough to move out a couple more Pandoras, a few more...? I guess if it just worked out that it would pay for one Pandora, might not be worth the work effort.

How about donation sales of stuff, like the trading section on these boards but any sales would be donated?

For example, I sell an old Gameboy for £20 [less p&p], but to buy it you have to donate that £20 to Ed which will go in the pot for moving out pre-orders, and you pay me the p&p.

So the seller is donating to the kitty via old stuff they want to sell rather than donations.

Or, could just sell stuff on ebay and donate the money earned I guess, same thing eh

Dredd what are your suggestions?

- the financial situation is obviously the #1 thing that needs to improve, especially the UK company, and also ED's company

- people can continue fund raising, promoting the Pandora, encouraging friends to buy one, writing software, reviews, whatever they like to do

- organizing ideas, perhaps a wiki page. If this thread gets back on track that will be a good start

I'm about to backpack though the world =P

wow, have fun! take your Pandora and show everyone :) lol

SOrry I have not been following this thread for a while, but is the new ticket system now supported by community members already, or is ED still the one handling everything ?

SOrry I have not been following this thread for a while, but is the new ticket system now supported by community members already, or is ED still the one handling everything ?

The ticket system is already setup and works, but I've not transferred all mails over, so it's mostly me.

Askarus has an account to help me out now, anyone else also wanting to help reducing this ticket queue please send me a request via PM.

- the pre-orderers, Craig and EvilDragon have suffered too long already with the pre-order mess

- we can fund the following with another round of community investment / donation

- I believe 1GHz Pandoras do not cost more to make, compared to the "Rebirth" Pandora (excluding setup)

- switching the machines back and forth to make both 1GHz and 512MB Pandoras would be wasteful

so, I recommend:

- only 1GHz Pandoras be produced, from now on

- all pre-orders be upgraded to 1GHz Pandoras free of charge

- people who paid to upgrade their pre-order to 1GHz be refunded that money as soon as possible

- all outstanding pre-orders be filled before any new orders are taken

I am already donating and supporting, but if we can do the above I will double my efforts.

Dredd what do you do with the remaining ineventory of 600Mhz chips? You throw it away? Who will pay for that? Of course, noone in their right mind would put all preorders on 1Ghz. Its not like ED has millions of dollars in cash.

Dredd what do you do with the remaining ineventory of 600Mhz chips? You throw it away? Who will pay for that? Of course, noone in their right mind would put all preorders on 1Ghz. Its not like ED has millions of dollars in cash.

I agree as somebody who's still waiting on a 600mhz order from the original sale, I'd love to have them upgrade my order to 1ghz for free, but I just can't see how giving away something of higher value is going to solve the problem of insufficient funds. They're already giving us the chance to upgrade to 1ghz for less than the cost of canceling and buying a new one if I did my calculations correctly.

Hi,

I was wondering is this still a good email address: openpandorasales@gmail.com? If not, is there another address I can use? I sent a couple of emails in the last 1-2 weeks and didn't hear back. Or are people just really busy, and I need to be patient?

thanks,

Charles

Hi,

I was wondering is this still a good email address: openpandorasales@gmail.com? If not, is there another address I can use? I sent a couple of emails in the last 1-2 weeks and didn't hear back. Or are people just really busy, and I need to be patient?

thanks,

Charles
Check your spam folder in case the e-mail responses went in there. But yes they are really busy. Asking a question in the ask craig or ask evildragon section of the forum might work too.

Back