Let's think about a killer game...

I think your point is still invalid.

It's very very simple: imagine two things exist, a pretty looking thing and a boring looking thing. You are shown pictures of each. Your eyes will be drawn to the pretty thing. Always, every time. Humans have evolved to be very visual creatures, our eyes tell us more about the world than any other sense.
You mix stuff up. Pretty isn't the opposite of boring!
How about a pink, flashy, pony game with simple 2D graphics VS. an AAA 3D screenshot of some Shooter... You will look at the ponies, just because your eyes will be drawn to conspicuous things, doesn't matter what you prefer. Why do we look at accidents? Not, because we think, accidents look pretty. They are just flashy. Something new. Something exciting.

I'll reiterate a post I made before: What do you guys and gals think is the best original game for the Pandora?  One that both looks and plays good?

I'll reiterate a post I made before: What do you guys and gals think is the best original game for the Pandora?  One that both looks and plays good?
Probably Paper Wars. However it seems not to run on my Pandora, so I could never test it.

I think your point is still invalid.

It's very very simple: imagine two things exist, a pretty looking thing and a boring looking thing. You are shown pictures of each. Your eyes will be drawn to the pretty thing. Always, every time. Humans have evolved to be very visual creatures, our eyes tell us more about the world than any other sense.
How about a pink, flashy, pony game with simple 2D graphics VS. an AAA 3D screenshot of some Shooter... You will look at the ponies, just because your eyes will be drawn to conspicuous things, doesn't matter what you prefer. Why do we look at accidents? Not, because we think, accidents look pretty. They are just flashy. Something new. Something exciting.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Style and an original look can be just as important as fancy graphics. Fancy graphics are only one way to grab attention. They certainly can grab attention, though. The new first-person GTAV trailer did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter. If something is pretty or flashy or otherwise visually busy, regardless of whether the actual game play is fun or boring, it will get your immediate attention.If, after playing around with them, you find out that the pretty thing is actually boring while the boring looking thing is actually fun then that doesn't change anything about what your original attraction was.

Style and an original look can be just as important as fancy graphics.
I would argue that "style and original look" is "fancy graphics".Even if you want to argue that particular point otherwise, that still doesn't matter because you agreed

They certainly can grab attention, though
Which is the be all end all of what I've been trying to say, the one and only thing that I have been expressing: fancy graphics will grab your attention.

Style and an original look can be just as important as fancy graphics.
I would argue that "style and original look" is "fancy graphics".Even if you want to argue that particular point otherwise, that still doesn't matter because you agreed

They certainly can grab attention, though
Which is the be all end all of what I've been trying to say, the one and only thing that I have been expressing: fancy graphics will grab your attention.
Don't get me wrong, I very much agree with you, but I think some might misconstrue that you are arguing that only AAA photo-realistic graphics count as "fancy". There are plenty of indie Devs who have come up with simple, but also slick graphical styles that were so attention-grabbing they are put into my category of "fancy". I think games like Towerfall and Super Meat Boy would fit into that category for me.

Forget it. Let's port GTA V. :D

Seriously, I think our best move would be a new emulator.

Some people outta here think a PS2 or Gamecube emu is possible.

Maybe we should give it a try.

Are PCSX2 or Dolphin sources open for modification ?

PCSX2 runs on Git, maybe we could try it out.

Forget it. Let's port GTA V. :D

Seriously, I think our best move would be a new emulator.

Some people outta here think a PS2 or Gamecube emu is possible.

Maybe we should give it a try.

Are PCSX2 or Dolphin sources open for modification ?

PCSX2 runs on Git, maybe we could try it out.
I think both of those are doubtful. I did see a video of Dolphin fullspeed on a Jetson TK1. Don't think we could get close to that level of performance though.

From people who think cats are amazing too ?
They are.  I find most living things amazing.  I would say a cat is several orders of magnitude more amazing than a game.

I am one of those people that would rather have a game that makes me think, and has a good story (if there is a story) than one that looks pretty, though.  I also don't really care about the how pretty a game is, but I think the people saying it might initially get attention are right.  Having said that, there is truth in the statement that since many games look great now it does not impress or grab attention as much as it once did (Put another way, with a wall of displays, if everything looks the same, maybe lots of activity with lifelike 3D graphics, you will notice the thing that looks different first, something like Zork.  This is also based on human evolution.).  Since the hypothetical purpose of the flashy graphics in this discussion is too hook you I don't really know how you would approach that, especially with the Pyra.

Greyout, I realy love this game and would have bought a sucessor if it were avaible.

maybe we could try it out.
I "love" it when "we" exclude "I"...
Haha ! That's exactly the humour I like ! :lol:

But hey, I never said I would just stay here and watch it happen.

I won't lie, I don't have a 10-years experience as a full-time programmer. And I've never written any emulator.

But I'm willing to help in some other way, like artwork, translation (frenchie here) and other stuff.

And I still can learn about it. I'm passioned about hardware, so I'd like to help gathering any docs you'd need.

Every single one of us has some talent to share. I'm not used to writing tons of code, but at least the stuff I wrote worked. Most of the time. ^_^

We're all able to play our part. Even a small one would count in such a project. And there's always boring stuff people like me could take care of.

And we wouldn't exactly be starting from scratch, as there are already working emulators outta here.

It would be more of a port-and-optimize project.

Yeah, I know it's not that simple, and I know it's the optimization that's the hardest.

But at least what we have here is a unified architecture. So we'd have a good basis to start on.

EDIT : Just saw about Dolphin on Tegra. It's already good and playable yet not fully optimized and seems to be upscaled.

So we may aim for ~30 fps in 480p. And remember that at some point there may be updated Pyra boards with more power to use.

What we'd better do for now is concentrate on getting Dreamcast running at full-speed in 720p.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think C4A has become my killer app for Pandora, and complete integration in the Pyra from day 1 will be huge. It took me a while to get into, as it originally was for MAME, and I never took the time to get MAME running.

Now that tons of ports and original games offer support, it has made the whole Pandora experience even more enjoyable. All the Devs have really pitched in to make it great fun, the monthly contest is so much fun, and the new cached scoring has made it possible to compete anywhere at any time!

Hi,

I've had this idea knocking around in my head for a while (so thought here was as good a thread as any to share some musings)

The basic idea is to:

• Have a game created in a user friendly game creator (e.g. game-editor, enigma-dev, gdevelop etc) with the protagonist waking in a maze like complex (a bit like in the film "cube" if you have seen it) 
  • Going through a door would then send the player to a level to be completed (e.g. platformer to collect a star)

so far so boring......but......

• IF players of the game were then able to create there own unique levels using the game creator software and then upload them (good levels could then be used as blueprints for others to base levels on etc)
  • Then when the game loaded up anew, it could detect that new levels were available and download them and would then be available to play.(and maybe dump any completed levels)
  • If this could be based around a story driven plot (complete a certain number of levels opens up more(non game level) areas to be explored etc) it would add something also.

The main benfits I can see are:

• lots of variety of levels from a variety of users.
  • Would utilise the pyras unique features (Levels could use keyboard, touch screen, analogue inputs)
  • Very community focused (levels could be rated and reviewed, given awards etc)
  • Ideal for portable gaming (pick up and play, but levels could be created and tested on the go also)
  • Game would continue to evolve and improve
Downsides

I really am out of my depth programming side,  I can create a basic workable game using enigma-dev and the like, but getting the levels to be uploaded/downloaded and all the synchronisation elements I am clueless with (although keen to learn more) 

I am of course aware this is all pie in the sky talk, but just thought I would through it out there and see if anyone thought it was even possible.

I believe we have a large community of gamers (lots with great ideas, and maybe little programming skills) and this could be a way to share some creative ideas to create something together (and make the world a better place) :)

CJ

Have a game created in a user friendly game creator (e.g. game-editor, enigma-dev, gdevelop etc) with the protagonist waking in a maze like complex (a bit like in the film "cube" if you have seen it) 
I would like a game based on those films.

As for your idea, that also sounds interesting, and might be cool.

Greyout, I realy love this game and would have bought a sucessor if it were avaible.
Greyout has a cool mechanic, but IIRC I hit a level in it that I couldn't see my way past fairly early on, and that put me off the game. Maybe I should go back and give it another try (once I've got my Pandora up and running again).

Personally, I think Super Geometry Dust is one of the best-looking Pandora original games. Unfortunately, my Pandora isn't well suited to twin-stick shooters thanks to its periodically wayward right nub, making the game quite frustrating on my system, so I can't say it's the best game unfortunately. I'd probably have to say that Nub-nub is the best overall game on my Pandora, having frenetic gameplay, good graphics and excellent music in one package.

Honourable mentions off the top of my head go to Space Rocks (awesome music, and good if slow and technical gameplay), Hase (next-gen Worms on our Pandoras, but no music yet), GFMTSERFGJ (cool graphics, good gameplay), and Snowman Reloaded (classic action with a twist).

Back