Lik- Sang's Shit List

thejoeandchip posted on Dec 27 2005 at 08:27 PM said:
Man guys, most of you are still doing nothing but defending the gp2x. This can be misleading to someone new to the gp2x or a parent buying one for there child who is unaware that they need to "tweak" and read dozens of post in a forum or search a wiki to get the thing to work well. How should a non-tech savy mom know how to flash firmware or mod a joystick? It isn't very consumer friendly to throw a new firmware at people.
All of these problems (well, not the button one) had been addressed at one time or another on this very board. Now to say that they are all non-existent is just sad.
Just the fact that you need to defend your glorious console and complain about big bad stores is what proves this thing has flaws. Are some of the flaws easily fixed? Sure, but not easy enough for GPH to do it for you.
I sure hope parents aren't searching around the internet for the most obscure handheld they can find that comes from a company that nobody's ever heard of and that has no official games out for a child that doesn't know much about computers. People who are smart enough to read up on the gp2x are probably also smart enough to figure out how to work it. And if they aren't, well, being stupid does have some bad side effects :p

BTW, do you have a gp2x?

stinch posted on Dec 27 2005 at 11:28 PM said:
deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 27 2005 at 04:44 PM said:
The following "problems" never existed:
• Headphone channels are switched, left is not left.
• Long boot time (28 seconds).

My unit suffers from both those problems so how can they have never existed?
I am speaking from my experiences. The headphone thing happens a lot on many different media devices and I have found that switching to different headphones and then just moving the jack around a little fixes it. However, I haven't had this problem with my gp2x yet. The boot time isn't a "problem" in the sense that all of the others are. It may annoy some people, but it really isn't that long and you can go back to the main menu and load other games once you are done with one game. If long load times were problems that made lik-sang stop selling things, well, they wouldn't have the psp or many other games that they carry.

If you don't feel my analysis of lik-sang's complaints was adequate, post your own :p

Last edited by a moderator:
deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 28 2005 at 01:38 AM said:
If long load times were problems that made lik-sang stop selling things, well, they wouldn't have the psp or many other games that they carry.

If you don't feel my analysis of lik-sang's complaints was adequate, post your own :p

Like they would not sell GT4 on PS2 ...
More load times than on a Amstrad CPC with a nearly dead floppy !

furikuri posted on Dec 27 2005 at 05:56 PM said:
Isn' t the GP2X screen the same as the GP32 BLU+? Even with the lcd tweaker I still havn't been able to get the GP2X's screen to look as good as the GP32's screen.

No, the LCD in the GP2X is different. You can tell for one because the BLU LCD is lit from the right side and the GP2X lit from the bottom.

I have compared the BLU to the GP2X side by side. I used among other things DrMD because it is on both. I compared using 1.01 FW.

I noticed that the LCD on the GP2X is brighter, the black level is better too.
The colors are also MUCH richer and saturated giving superior contrast and colors that "pop". In comparison the colors on the BLU look washed out.

This will be different depending on FW you have. The very first FW from the first batch made the LCD look bad. The black level was poor, and here were streaks on high contrast images. The second two were best, giving the best color and contrast. I had a first batch GP2X that had diagonal lines so I upgraded to 1.1 to see if it helped. It made the LCD look washed out and produced faint vertical lines, and washed out blacks. I am not sure if that was the new FW or if the unit being faulty caused it. The unit was sent back because it still had the diagonal lines. My second batch unit from GP32Z with the 1.01 FW looks great though, no diagonal noise. It is one of the best screens I have seen on a handheld contrast and color wise.

So alot of the descrepancies of how good the screen is will vary depending on which FW you have. The good news is that the physical LCD itself is very good. Now it is a matter of getting the LCD driver in the FW up to snuff.

I got the GP2x for xmas and the only problem on that list that I've really noticed is seeing scanlines on the screen. You have to hold the screen rock steady as any movement will cause your eyes to see the scanlines.
I've put heaps of different xvid and divx files of all different resolutions and they all play fine on the machine. It's so great to just drag and drop videos without having to convert them first! I've have 3 different brands of 1 gig sd cards and they all work great on the machine too!
Battery life is reasonable once I got some 2500 mAH NiMh rechargeables - approx 3 1/2 hours of watching dvd resolution (720x480) videos.

This has been a much less troublesome experience than when I got my psps. Sony with all their money and resources still haven't fixed up the hardware. The original japanese launch psp I got had a problem with the square button not registering unless I press it on the side of the button. And I bought another psp to play the latest games and guess what, the diagonals on the dpad are near impossible to press. The problem is these issues can't be fixed by software, in contrast to most of the issues with the GP2x are software fixable.

All in all, I'm really happy with the GP2x and I think the list that Lik-sang wrote sounded a bit biased (maybe to justify them not wanting to sell the machines at that time).

thejoeandchip posted on Dec 27 2005 at 03:27 PM said:
Man guys, most of you are still doing nothing but defending the gp2x. This can be misleading to someone new to the gp2x or a parent buying one for there child who is unaware that they need to "tweak" and read dozens of post in a forum or search a wiki to get the thing to work well. How should a non-tech savy mom know how to flash firmware or mod a joystick? It isn't very consumer friendly to throw a new firmware at people.
All of these problems (well, not the button one) had been addressed at one time or another on this very board. Now to say that they are all non-existent is just sad.
Just the fact that you need to defend your glorious console and complain about big bad stores is what proves this thing has flaws. Are some of the flaws easily fixed? Sure, but not easy enough for GPH to do it for you.

telengard - i like your mame cab, i was planning on buying a jamma cab for room and was about to until i told my parent what a jamma cab was. It didn't fly to well, i do like the monitor on wheel design, i was hoping to do that. You might want to get a real arcade monitor though. They are pretty.

Heya,

Yeah I *really* want a real arcade monitor, have for a long time. The problem is I really like vector games too and they look like cr*p with monitors of that high a dot pitch. Hehe, sorry to hear you couldn't sneak a jamma cab in your house. Would they let you have a cabaret? Or maybe a cocktail?

I do agree (and have said in the past) if someone is looking for a total "plug and play" handheld this one isn't it right now, although in the future once everything is fleshed out it will be.

~telengard

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 27 2005 at 03:44 PM said:
Actually the gp2x LCD is one of the best (if not the best) I have ever seen on a handheld game system. What you are talking about isn't the LCD's problem, it is a problem with the settings. If it was truly a problem with the LCD the lcd tweaker wouldn't be able to fix it. My LCD looks perfect. Crystal clear, no blurring, no stuck or dead pixels, no widescreen. The gp2x's LCD kills the psp's lcd in every way.
Not really. Just bring your LCD close to your eyes. You'll be able to tell between pixels. Do that on a PSP : nothing. Do that on a desktop computer LCD : nothing.

Tweak your settings. UPLL+2, whatever. Take the LCD screen close to your eyes, in a dark picture : omg, it's still flickering. Oh, and what are those scanlines still there ?

So right now, here's the LCD status :
-pixels really distant from each others. Grid definitly visible at close range
-software problems ( perhaps) with LCD brightness ( flicker), diagonal lines waving through, etc.

YET the gp2x LCD is a PSP LCD killer ?

I swear, either people don't want to find a flaw in their handheld they have been waiting for, or else everyone else is BLIND. When i show up my gp2x to others, they say, looking at the menu : "god, the LCD is ugly!". Yeah, it IS.

I wonder how people can compare a buggy, low cost and bad quality LCD screen on the current gp2x ( the buggy might be removed later) with the crystal clear LCD screen of a PSP.

Tetedeiench posted on Dec 28 2005 at 07:10 AM said:
I wonder how people can compare a buggy, low cost and bad quality LCD screen on the current gp2x ( the buggy might be removed later) with the crystal clear LCD screen of a PSP.

Well, not too sure of weither what you said is truth or not , since I don't have my GP2x yet.
But I just wanted to point out that the BEST LCD screens are made by Koreans , not Japanese . Therefore it would not be a nonsense if GPH got a very good LCD screen.

Anyway on a demo video , I think it was by Anarki , where the 3 consoles (PSP,GP2x and Ds) were put next to each other , the GP2x looked the best I think.

BTW : High end Sony LCD screens are Samsung made but rebadged .
(source : Japanese time, Nikkei and Asahi)

Qingdan posted on Dec 28 2005 at 08:45 AM said:

Well, not too sure of weither what you said is truth or not , since I don't have my GP2x yet.
But I just wanted to point out that the BEST LCD screens are made by Koreans , not Japanese . Therefore it would not be a nonsense if GPH got a very good LCD screen.

Anyway on a demo video , I think it was by Anarki , where the 3 consoles (PSP,GP2x and Ds) were put next to each other , the GP2x looked the best I think.

BTW : High end Sony LCD screens are Samsung made but rebadged .
(source : Japanese time, Nikkei and Asahi)

French wines are believed to be the best. Yet, you can buy a bottle of french wine for less than a buck. Do you think this wine is definitly good because it's french ?

Nonsense :/

The gp2x LCD is cheap, period. Nice colors, yeah. flickers, waves, and grid being visible. Oh korean, but cheap. The grid being visible just tells us that much. and that is not a software problem.

Tetedeiench posted on Dec 28 2005 at 08:57 AM said:
French wines are believed to be the best. Yet, you can buy a bottle of french wine for less than a buck. Do you think this wine is definitly good because it's french ?

Well obviously you did not buy any wine recently ... Because there are no bottles under a buck (a buck being a dollar , so roughly .75 euros )

But I'll end here, no willing to make a big offtopic flamewar .

Qingdan posted on Dec 28 2005 at 09:05 AM said:
Tetedeiench posted on Dec 28 2005 at 08:57 AM said:

Well obviously you did not buy any wine recently ... Because there are no bottles under a buck (a buck being a dollar , so roughly .75 euros )

But I'll end here, no willing to make a big offtopic flamewar .

I bet you i can just go to the nearest discount store here and find one :D I was refering to what we call "gros rouge", and is, in fact, french wine in a plastic bottle.

OK, it may be 2$, but i'm sure you got the idea. Picking on the real price of the wine is not relevant.

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 27 2005 at 03:44 PM said:
Actually the gp2x LCD is one of the best (if not the best) I have ever seen on a handheld game system. What you are talking about isn't the LCD's problem, it is a problem with the settings. If it was truly a problem with the LCD the lcd tweaker wouldn't be able to fix it. My LCD looks perfect. Crystal clear, no blurring, no stuck or dead pixels, no widescreen. The gp2x's LCD kills the psp's lcd in every way.
Not really. Just bring your LCD close to your eyes. You'll be able to tell between pixels. Do that on a PSP : nothing. Do that on a desktop computer LCD : nothing.

Tweak your settings. UPLL+2, whatever. Take the LCD screen close to your eyes, in a dark picture : omg, it's still flickering. Oh, and what are those scanlines still there ?

So right now, here's the LCD status :
-pixels really distant from each others. Grid definitly visible at close range
-software problems ( perhaps) with LCD brightness ( flicker), diagonal lines waving through, etc.

YET the gp2x LCD is a PSP LCD killer ?

I swear, either people don't want to find a flaw in their handheld they have been waiting for, or else everyone else is BLIND. When i show up my gp2x to others, they say, looking at the menu : "god, the LCD is ugly!". Yeah, it IS.

My screen has none of the problems you are talking about. It is crystal clear, no visible scan lines and no flickering (well, unless I switch it with the lcd tweaker). But even if it did, you lose your whole argument when you talk of the "Crystal clear LCD screen of a psp". I have played my friends PSP. The screen blurrs like crazy, definitely not crystal clear. This looks OK for some games (racers), but it looks terrible on most games. When you talk about "telling between pixels", how is that bad? That means that it IS crystal clear, that it isn't blurring like the psp screen does. .. You've been confused by sony into thinking that that is the way a crystal clear screen should look.

EDIT: Where the hell is davec when you need him? He probably has a diagram that explains this much better than words.....

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 28 2005 at 02:15 PM said:
EDIT: Where the hell is davec when you need him? He probably has a diagram that explains this much better than words.....

Yup yup, we need you DaveC , bring one of your nice diagrams ... :p

squall_dc posted on Dec 28 2005 at 03:33 AM said:
I got the GP2x for xmas and the only problem on that list that I've really noticed is seeing scanlines on the screen. You have to hold the screen rock steady as any movement will cause your eyes to see the scanlines.
I got this problem too. Is it normal? I get ugly scanlines unless I keep the unit perfectly still. As soon as the unit is moved up or down ever so slightly, scanlines appear in contrasting areas of the image. It's very apparent in the main menu. Looks something like this (replicated effect):

interlaced3as.jpg

Eolair posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:22 PM said:
I got this problem too. Is it normal? I get ugly scanlines unless I keep the unit perfectly still. As soon as the unit is moved up or down ever so slightly, scanlines appear in contrasting areas of the image. It's very apparent in the main menu. Looks something like this (replicated effect):

interlaced3as.jpg

Great replica! :p That's the exact problem I'm seeing. I think a lot of people are seeing that, but I don't think it should be doing that. This is the first time I've ever seen a lcd screen do that. I just hope that it is just a lcd timing issue that can be resolved in software, I've tried lots of settings in lcd tweaker but none of them help though...

squall_dc posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:14 AM said:
Eolair posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:22 PM said:

interlaced3as.jpg

Great replica! :p That's the exact problem I'm seeing. I think a lot of people are seeing that, but I don't think it should be doing that. This is the first time I've ever seen a lcd screen do that. I just hope that it is just a lcd timing issue that can be resolved in software, I've tried lots of settings in lcd tweaker but none of them help though...
LCD tweaker doesn't help me either. But I think the tweaker is meant to fix problems with flickering/interlacing. These scanlines I'm talking about only appear when you move the unit (or your head).

Another way you can see the scanlines clearly is on the black startup screen with diagonal lines. The diagonal lines should be there but if you move the unit up and down slightly, then horinzontal scanlines will also appear and intersect with the diagonal lines.

I really hope this can be fixed with software. It bothers the hell out of me. It looks really crappy and it's strange that more people don't complain about it (if indeed it's not on just a few units). Can anyone confirm that they don't have this problem?

Eolair posted on Dec 29 2005 at 11:22 AM said:
squall_dc posted on Dec 28 2005 at 03:33 AM said:

interlaced3as.jpg

I really notice that problem in DrMD while running with the default settings, but when I used the lcd tweaker, it looked soo much better. I was running mine at 280mhz FPLL -2.

Got my GP2X for christmas and It booted once and died. Yes I tried all different kinds of batteries. My unit was a POS so it's hard not to accept what lik-sang is saying in my case.

kotd: Defined died.

btw, the included batteries suck. You have to use Ni-HM or lithuim batteries on the gp2x. Alkalines aren't strong enough to handle the large power drain.

The PSP and the GP2X have the same LCD screen, only the dimensions differ. I dont think theres a problem with the LCD screen, maybe the 2D graphics accelerator is not that great, or its a firmware issue, which is highly probable.

dioxide: currently the 2d accelerator is not being used. Devs are working to add it to SDL.

Back