Release Linksys AE1000 usb wifi

Jey123456

A few days ago i bought this usb wifi N adapter since i knew there were some unix driver sources for it. (http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Adapters/Linksys-AE1000-Wirelessn-connector_stcVVproductId97826164VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm)

Followed a bit of "http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56860-trying-to-compile-custom-v4l/" and "http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1353558" tho both guides were slightly outdated so a few things didnt work out right away, had to change a few lines in the kernel makefile just to have it compile what i needed (else it would error about infinite recursion, i cant remember exactly xD).

edit: This is now a pnd, so just run it (double click on the pnd if you have pnd_utils), else put it on your menu folder or whatever. then you can chose to install/uninstall the kernel module.

The driver isnt perfect, there are issues with it like a few spam in dmesg, so at some point ill have a look at the community drivers (Rt2x00), but for now, this do the job for my needs. Unfortunatly, it doesnt seem to like the network manager very much (for some reasons, i could barely connect to g network with wep encryption, but even then it was reacting weird).

But disabling the network manager and using wpa_supplicant + iwconfig + dhclient allowed me to connect on my N network at 150mbit and finally get a stable wifi connection after all my issues with the built in one xD. now im limited by the sd speed when downloading but i can live with that =D.

also ping wise, im getting <1ms instead of the 40ms from the built in wifi. Ill still try to figure out how to squeeze some more stability out of my built in wifi on the other hand XD.

5ghz band doesnt seem to be supported by that driver, but i could be wrong (havent tested it).

oh yea forgot to precise, this driver should work for a lot of usb wifi stick using ralinktech chips. tho if they are more recent than the driver (like this one was), it needed the product code to be added to the driver, so if thats the case, you can either compile it yourself, or give me those codes and i can add them to that build since him already all configured anyway.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=RT3572USB_Pandora

RT3572USB_Pandora.pnd

Attachments

• RT3572USB_Pandora.pnd
    304.6 KB · Views: 273
Last edited by a moderator:
also ping wise, im getting <1ms instead of the 40ms from the built in wifi. Ill still try to figure out how to squeeze some more stability out of my built in wifi on the other hand XD.

The Ping time is because of the power saving.

You can disable WiFi power saving to get faster ping times, but it eats more battery.

I get the same ping with or without powersaving, as if it did nothing at all to disable it (sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off) it did show as off in iwconfig but no differences for anything else.

maybe there is something wrong with my pandora wifi tho, it acted weird on just about every aspects (lots of interferences with my other wifi devices, frequent "net freeze", huge cpu usage while downloading).

also the powersaving seem to be enabled on the wifi stick im using. even when downloading at full speed, i still get about 8hours battery time (the estimated time after downloading for 1 hour).

now in pnd installer form.

it also include an uninstall if for whatever reason someone wanted to uninstall it.

RT3572USB_Pandora.pnd

Attachments

• RT3572USB_Pandora.pnd
    304.6 KB · Views: 228
This is bloody brilliant Jey. I've just received the reconditioned AE1000 I got sent from the States to blighty (£12 isn't bad, right?), installed your driver and now the Pandora is a fully functioning mobile Internet device! No more sub-56K speeds, no more randomly pausing downloads (which break the connexion when using apps.pandora.org. What is it about that site's downloads? Firefox can't estimate a finish time either.), no more disconnect/reconnect before trying to load every page. I can even stream iPlayer TV programmes now. With the on-board WiFi it would tell me I had insufficient bandwidth to even stream iPlayer radio sometimes.

So thanks. And of course thanks to OP for making the device into which I plug the AE1000. Shitty WiFi or no shitty WiFi, its still a great device. I think I may push it up to 900MHz now in celebration.

i just run

sudo killall dhclient

sudo dhclient ra0 &

sudo wpa_supplicant cmd

and well, its a full featured driver directly from ralink (whom made the chipset used in it)

it include adhoc support, as well as hardware wpa support (wpa_supplicant know about it and use it, youll notice the output is different if you use wpa_supplicant with the linksys stick or the built in wifi)

another way to set it is to directly set the priv values in the stick with iwpriv, but i didnt get much success from that.

(see attached file, it come with the sources, as a readme for iwpriv.)

iwpriv_usage.txt

Attachments

• iwpriv_usage.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 305
But disabling the network manager and using wpa_supplicant + iwconfig + dhclient allowed me to connect on my N network at 150mbit and finally get a stable wifi connection after all my issues with the built in one xD. now im limited by the sd speed when downloading but i can live with that =D.

Thanks for your work on this. I picked up an AE1000 for pretty cheap, installed your PND, but I'm not sure how to get the wireless to work. I'm a linux newbie so any additional details would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for your work on this. I picked up an AE1000 for pretty cheap, installed your PND, but I'm not sure how to get the wireless to work. I'm a linux newbie so any additional details would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hmm, it seems that my USB port doesn't work. I just tested it with a couple different USB drives so ignore my question.

if you plugged a non-hi speed device before, your usb port crashed. Rebooting is necessary.

To make it work: disable internal wifi from menu Settings - Startup - Services on boot, turn off pandora, plug the dongle, turn it on. Luckily, NetworkManager will detect it automatically and connect to your access point. Otherwise you'll have to manually edit wpa_supplicant.conf file

Thanks for the reply. I tried doing what you said, but no luck. The network that I'm trying to connect to is an open network with no security so I don't think that I need to mess with the wpasupplicant.conf file.

Also, I tried rebooting the OP, with a Kingston DataTraveler 100 (USB 2.0) drive in the USB port, and the OP doesn't acknowledge it.

try removing the battery for a few minutes, then turn it on again,

let's see some 'dmesg' output at the terminal

Still no luck. The dmesg is attached. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• dmesg.doc
    66 KB · Views: 242
dmesg1 - is with the AE1000 unplugged

dmesg2 - is with the AE1000 plugged in

Thanks again for looking at these!

Attachments

• dmesg1.doc
    52.8 KB · Views: 250
  • dmesg2.doc
    52.7 KB · Views: 303
Just for everyone's information:

1. The following lists the chipsets for various usb adapters: Click

2. This forum has clues on how to build the driver for the Realtech chipsets: Another click

I would love to help with building the realtech driver but I don't have time at present and I don't know whether it works with the Pandora's kernel.

very strange, i would reflash the full firmware, just in case,

it commonly solves a lot of problems

I did a full flash of the HF5, and still no luck. OP won't read any USB device, and the dmesg output is the same as before the re-flash.

I'm guessing that my USB port doesn't work. I'm going to try and find a friend with an external HD that is on the working list from the wiki and see if the OP can recognize it.

Thanks again Alerino for your help. I really appreciate it.

I have a Edimax ew-7711UTn (Ralink RT2870 USB ABGN WLAN Card, according to the Linux drivers on the CD), cant seem to get it too fly: see dmesg output when inserting adapter

idVendor=7392,idProduct=7711

Mfr=1, Product=2, Serial Number=3

Product: 802.11 n WLAN

Manufacturer Ralink

Any chance of an updated Ralink driver to include this model?

Cheers

Korky

ill attempt compiling that driver and ill pnd it. although, since i have no such stick, i am unable to test it. ill count on you to tell me if it work or not ! :p . expect it in a day or so.

also, actually its not an updated driver you need for that :p . its an older version ;) . well, different version. thats the rt3572, what yours require is rt2870.

ill attempt compiling that driver and ill pnd it. although, since i have no such stick, i am unable to test it. ill count on you to tell me if it work or not ! :p . expect it in a day or so.

also, actually its not an updated driver you need for that :p . its an older version ;) . well, different version. thats the rt3572, what yours require is rt2870.

Excellent stuff, how are you getting on with said "update" :p .

Cheers

Korky

Still no word on updated driver :( in the intermim I managed to dig out an old usb ethernet adapter from my wii, works a treat 18mb on speedtest.net ;) . Will tether up until updated onboard wifi or rt2870 drivers appear.

Cheers

Korky

Still no word on updated driver :( in the intermim I managed to dig out an old usb ethernet adapter from my wii, works a treat 18mb on speedtest.net ;) . Will tether up until updated onboard wifi or rt2870 drivers appear.

Cheers

Korky

Any luck with the Edimax driver?

Back