Linux GP ???

Sonic-NKT

Hi,
any news about Linux for gp32...
some time ago there was a big thread about it... showing some old progress.
any news on this, since with this chatboard linux would be really cool..

not that i know of, i can't seen to compile the kernel (haven't put forth much effort ;)) there IS a smc driver in the mizi linux distro that may be able to be adapted to gp32 :D i need to find a reliable site that has mandrake linux isos, i hate waiting an hour per disc. the only reason i don't use linux is my old video card(got a new one) doesn't like linux AT ALL <_< but, it was a POS anyway...

hmm if you go on the mendrake homepage and download it of one of the uni ftps you dont have to wait to download.. or what do you mean?
i hope that someone is still working on this..
i would love to see a linux loader in the multifirmware... and with the chatboard it would be very useable... perhaps a real pda then

a lot of the download sites are slow, and some don't have disc 2 and 3 :(

EDIT: if you want linux soo badly why not put a challenge in the gp32 spain challenge page for a bootloader and kernel that support smartmedia cards? i would if i had money....

If it doesn't take up much memory, you could port small games
but you can do that without linux

It's just adds to the GP32's Geek Value, in which in America, is very high indeed... but too much GV may sometimes be a bad thing... because everyone wants to see it *EG: School today... lol Maine is like 10-3 years behind the times*statewide tech shit that is, if count northern maine, then yes, 10 years**

The best way to get any hnew linus distro is to go to your local news agency and buy a linux format et al type magazine. They are bound to have distros on the cover disk. Sure beats having to wait to download 3 ISOs...

Bittorrent is a good way to get linux ISOs quickley. Among other things........ ;)

Bittorrent is a good way to get linux ISOs quickley. Among other things........ ;)
quickly? bah
I try to dl things and the max i have gotten is 30kbs, and it takes a long time for about 2gigs of things to d/l
hell i've d/led at around 400kbs before with just downloading

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm those chatboards come around soon i think.. so a keyboard is available...
and then i think linux can be very useful..
first only console but, you can do much with it... not only games :D
and perhaps you can get a small xserver running, for linux i would also do this 32mb upgrade....
i would spend 50€ to this challenge.. not much (cause i dont have much money at the moment) but if others spend to.. lets see

quickly? bah
I try to dl things and the max i have gotten is 30kbs, and it takes a long time for about 2gigs of things to d/l
hell i've d/led at around 400kbs before with just downloading
on bit torrent if your getting slow speeds then it may well be because you firewall is blocking the bittorrent ports. lickmytaint has the information you need to speed it up.

not sure if it would be possable to get any kind of decent version of linux running on the GP32 due to lack of RAM... the 386 that Linus started coding linux on had 4mb RAM for christ sake... most distro's, and I've ran the mini distro's on 386 and 486, require 8mb minimum to run the kernal and related file tools...

so the thought of it running on the GP32 seems unlikely to me... cant you just settle for Torvold's fav thing at the time of writing Linux? Prince of Persia? :D I'm sure either the mega drive (genesis) or SNES version will run on one of the emu's... hehe

2004-01-07 15:47:00 EST: 2182 / 257
Your download speed : 2182066 bps, or 2182 kbps.
A 266.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 257532 bps, or 257 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

i almost got to the 2mbit barrier...
It may be my firewall slowing down my speeds and such, since i use nortan

thanks for the info :D

As for Linux GP32, i have no clue if it would be usful other than showing it off to others :D

i know what it would be useful for, a gp32 server for gp32x.de :lol: that would be awsome tho.....

Back