Look Who Flew The Nest!

TylerAW said:
I do not see Gloves on the people assembling Pandora's :blink:
Meh, gloves are a pain to work with. An antistatic wrist strap, on the other hand, might be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Multiplex said:
TylerAW said:
I do not see Gloves on the people assembling Pandora's :blink:
Meh, gloves are a pain to work with. An antistatic wrist strap, on the other hand, might be nice.

This is the kind of thing that, if it's just simply a matter of not having access/stock of gloves, I'd be happy to buy some and have them shipped to the team. I mean, it's a small thing, but it'll certainly help with the overall QC.

A very good question Arkay, does not make much since to me, but maybe they did not want the buttons to resemble the SNES controller since not everyone plays that. It's not a big deal since all emulators allow you to remap buttons but still kind a odd.

Arkay Firestar said:
Just out of curiosity, is that the order/sequence for the A,B,X,Y buttons that was planned from the beginning?
I haven't gone all the way back to "the beginning", but I'm willing to go with "yes". And in case you're wondering as to the logic of it (and it has long ago been much-debated), it's the same as the GP2X.

oldp.jpg

(and people think it's ugly now. :) )

Arkay Firestar said:
Just out of curiosity, is that the order/sequence for the A,B,X,Y buttons that was planned from the beginning?

It's always been that way as far as I remember. More logical than the SNES layout: maybe someone on the team has a little OCD and was always bugged by that? :)

Also those pictures are making me really regret not ordering straight away, still a long way to go before I get mine... I'll feel a lot better once all the parts for it are in one place waiting to be assembled :p

EDIT: Bah! Triple Ninja'd!

Game_over said:
This puts a tear in my eye ... we finally overcame.
Oww!? Painful nerdgasm :eek:

@x68000, quick! Put something in the box for weight, and ship it to someone who's expecting a similarly sized package. :evilgrin:

skeezix said:
yeah, ED and I were thinking about release names, so we coudl identify; a given firmware could be NAME + patches; ie: Same as Debian and Ubuntu's famous names.

We were bouncing ideas around and ED thought about starting forward, or.. backwards; and I think I said we shoudl do a theme, and it all came together. Zaxxon is the perfect, and we'll go to Y next, etc :)

jeff
I dislike how Debian, Ubuntu, and OSX have named releases. Unless you are a zealot of those operating systems then you have no idea what release someone is talking about when the name is used. Ubuntu has an awesome numerical release scheme also, it's year.month, so 10.04 was released 2010 in the month of April. Then they went and named it Lucid Lynx which for some reason reviewers call it(with no mention of the numerical tag) and zealots refer to it as. It is more keystrokes than 10.04, JUST REFER TO IT AS 10.04!!!!!

So I think Hardy Heron came before Feisty Fawn but Maverick Meerkat is the current release. Or is Karmic Koala the newest version?

It's cute but like I said, unless you're a zealot. . .

Edit: Oh gosh, I guess I didn't read your idea well enough. Going backwards in the Alphabet is a pretty good idea. I wish Ubuntu did that. Then again I don't think you can beat how they number their releases. That's an Ubuntu thing though, I don't know if you would want to copy that.

second exodous said:
So I think Hardy Heron came before Feisty Fawn but Maverick Meerkat is the current release. Or is Karmic Koala the newest version?

At least with Ubuntu, since 2006 they've been progressing in alphabetical order so you at least have an idea in which order they've been released (even without the numbering). I like the fact Debian et al name their releases (makes it more... personable, I guess), but because they're in an arbitrary non-ordinal series it's difficult to know which is which unless you already know.

But 'Zaxxon' backwards is sweeeet. :D I'm personally fond of "Yie-Ar Kung Fu" as a 'Y' release, but I'll concede something catchy like "Yamato" is much more suitable. :)

Line O said:
second exodous said:

At least with Ubuntu, since 2006 they've been progressing in alphabetical order so you at least have an idea in which order they've been released (even without the numbering). I like the fact Debian et al name their releases (makes it more... personable, I guess), but because they're in an arbitrary non-ordinal series it's difficult to know which is which unless you already know.

But 'Zaxxon' backwards is sweeeet. :D I'm personally fond of "Yie-Ar Kung Fu" as a 'Y' release, but I'll concede something catchy like "Yamato" is much more suitable. :)
Huh, you're right, I have never noticed that. The fourth release, which is where they started their ordered naming scheme, started with D. It kinda throws you when the first release is W.

But yeah, like I said in my edit I like the reverse alphabet naming scheme, that could work. I like the 'Yoshi' name someone threw out earlier for the next release.

Line O said:
second exodous said:

I'm a big fan of Yie-Ar Kung Fu, think that would rock for firmware 2nd official release.

Zaxxon just reminds me of everything that's happened up until now.

Peace n bong rips!

Link

What done 'Zaxxon' mean? Or where did it come from?

Why not use animals! Zebra! Yak! X... hmmm... Something...

kingoddball said:
What done 'Zaxxon' mean? Or where did it come from?

Why not use animals! Zebra! Yak! X... hmmm... Something...
I'm sorry you don't know what Zaxxon means...

I bet Napolean Dynamite has Zaxxon skills.

It's an old school moving side scroll shooter from Sega I believe, look for it on MAME.

Hard as hell game IMO, but fun when you want shit to blow up.

Peace & Zaxxon,

Link

TylerAW said:
A very good question Arkay, does not make much since to me, but maybe they did not want the buttons to resemble the SNES controller since not everyone plays that. It's not a big deal since all emulators allow you to remap buttons but still kind a odd.
It's not odd, its all down to patents and copyrights, they cant use the same order of button placements than has been used on any device before or since, they could have used D,F,G,H but that would have caused outrage!
Same for the D-pad, Nintendo owns the patent for the normal cross shape D-pad, so every pad ever made since cant be the same, or has a slight change in angles i.e PS1 pad, or a rounded style, but they all work the same in theory in most cases!

on the "Y" theme

Yukon?

Yamoto?

Yam Yam

I think Zero wing should be the first name though, you can then use all the Zero wing "all your base" pictures, clips and Jabber robots track for viral marketing, and it's sorta appropriate "somebody set us up the bomb" lol

Great pics. Can't wait to get mine. I'm in the 650 - 750 group :D. Just a shorty question about the power supply. I can see the one depicted is for UK. I assume that there are cables for EU/Denmark ;).

Back