Look Who Flew The Nest!

BackAssward said:
OK guys let's all try to restore the photo as much as possible.

My shot at it (only tried for like 5 minutes):
f0q1l0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
urjaman said:
hisaki said:
Line O said:
That's specifically the bit that - internationally - isn't particularly standard.

Luckily though, they're not hard to come by.

Ah, sorry, wrong choice of words, not a native English speaker. But yeah that's what I meant, easy to come by. And well, standard inside of the region. As in, I have a lot of devices that have a cable that looks like that.
Actually, that is a standard...
Lots of things can be 'standard' if you only look at one end of them. :p

dflemstr said:
My shot at it (only tried for like 5 minutes):
I don't mean to sound bad, but what was wrong with my pic? What in your pic is better? I don't like your edit at all...

Mine was a move to change the color to the one the eye sees, not the camera. I don't know what your attempt was.

Zaxxon is good, slightly easier to pronounce than Zzyzzyxx I guess. I can't believe no one mentioned "Yars' Revenge" as a possible contender, though it has 2 words it's by far the most catchy title of the Y's. Others I'd suggest are Xevious, Wolfenstein and an absolutely mandatory "Volfied" for V. I have to say, for classic game names you'll really struggle to pick one for Q. All games ever made starting with the letter Q tend to be shite (with the possible exception of Quake). Qix was about the best of the Q's, but it just doesn't cut the mustard for a Pandora firmware name.

(NOTE: I'm not into retro gaming (much), so sorry for not knowing (before now) what Zaxxon is)
When i read Zaxxon what it sounded to me was Taxxon until i headed to wikipedia and typed Zaxxon.
Yeah i think my reading habits from 5 years ago propably had some effect on this :p
Still, nice name.

second exodous said:
I like the 'Yoshi' name someone threw out earlier for the next release.

I was thinking 'Nintendo might go after us for this one' but then I remembered that Yoshi is a pretty common Japanese name. It would be like copyrighting 'John'.

TitanUranus said:
I can't believe no one mentioned "Yars' Revenge" as a possible contender, though it has 2 words it's by far the most catchy title of the Y's.

I assumed Andy had, which is why I didn't:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53552-look-who-flew-the-nest/page__view__findpost__p__855678

VRAndy said:
GunPei2X said:
EvilDragon said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Y will be hard to do. Yoshi?

Ys ? :)

Yie Ar.

Or "Yar".

At least, I ASSUMED that "Yar" was from "Yar's Revenge". Maybe some other Yar, but it seemed logical...

TitanUranus said:
All games ever made starting with the letter Q tend to be shite (with the possible exception of Quake). Qix was about the best of the Q's, but it just doesn't cut the mustard for a Pandora firmware name.

Q*Bert, Quarth, Quartet. There are a few :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
TitanUranus said:
All games ever made starting with the letter Q tend to be shite (with the possible exception of Quake). Qix was about the best of the Q's, but it just doesn't cut the mustard for a Pandora firmware name.

Yes Evil Dragon, you are right - they're all good examples of games beginning with "Q" that are not very good... ;)

EDIT, to be honest, I know there's a couple of games that begin with "Q" that are ok, just nothng exceptional. I always have low expectations when looking at that letter of the alphabet, and I'm rarely surprised by anything great.

borgqueenx said:
Another dutch guy! :( my pandora aint a unique machine anymore soon...oh well i still guess 99% of people dont know about it:)

I go to university (Eindhoven UoT). A few weeks ago I decided to buy an HTC Desire to replace my dying iPhone 2G, right after the phone's launch date here. As soon as classes started again (had exams) I saw FIVE PEOPLE in ONE DAY that also had the same phone >_>. It's geek territory. Once the pandora gets shipped en masse to the NL, I expect the same to happen.

And....Afrikaans has its roots in the Dutch language. LRN2HISTORY.

TitanUranus said:
EDIT, to be honest, I know there's a couple of games that begin with "Q" that are ok, just nothng exceptional. I always have low expectations when looking at that letter of the alphabet, and I'm rarely surprised by anything great.
Letter intolerance!

Sander Hoksbergen said:
borgqueenx said:
Another dutch guy! :( my pandora aint a unique machine anymore soon...oh well i still guess 99% of people dont know about it:)

I go to university (Eindhoven UoT). A few weeks ago I decided to buy an HTC Desire to replace my dying iPhone 2G, right after the phone's launch date here. As soon as classes started again (had exams) I saw FIVE PEOPLE in ONE DAY that also had the same phone >_>. It's geek territory. Once the pandora gets shipped en masse to the NL, I expect the same to happen.

And....Afrikaans has its roots in the Dutch language. LRN2HISTORY.

IKNOWTHATHISTORYIMNOTSTUPIDYOUKNOWTYPINGLIKETHISALSOSUCKSBTW

I still hope to be the only one in Nijmegen to have a pandora. I will probably the first to have a Pandora in Nijmegen, maybe even Gelderland and might be the first of The Netherlands to have a Pandora as im number 600 on the list.

i like this idea, I really think it's great for this particular product market..

Make sure that all the names are all OLD classic games like Jet Set Willy that are distinctly old computer game names. I really like Q*Bert for Q too, that is exactly what I'm thinking of.

Sander Hoksbergen said:
Wow, I didn't expect to find a Pandora user this close to home. I'm a PhD in the computer science department. You reside in E-hoog?

TitanUranus said:
EvilDragon said:
TitanUranus said:

Yes Evil Dragon, you are right - they're all good examples of games beginning with "Q" that are not very good... ;)

Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Quake IV... Qwak!

Evil Star said:
I agree, I don't want greasy fingerprints all over my precious Pandora. Working all day on an assembly line will make your hands sweat profusely, not only from physical effort but also because this type of work is extremely stressful, causing clammy hands. I think they should use gloves even though it might slow them down a touch.
+1
I thought it was a common standard to use gloves during assembling an electronic Device. There are soft, light gloves for this kind of stuff so I also would recommend to use them.
copper1.jpg

craigix said:
But it's getting more organised now, a few little changes needed to be made here, such as the shoulder buttons had to all be hand drilled to make the holes bigger (gah!) and some of them slightly filed down on the internal side to make sure they didn't stick sometimes.
The shoulder buttons still don't fit? :huh:

BackAssward said:
Edit: You guys really need someone who knows photography. There is only so much I can edit after the fact. Once I have my Pandora, of course then I can photograph as I see fit.
+1
Professional Photos of the Pandora are a must, especialy for usage in News-Sites, external Reviews and so on. Until today, they often used outdated and ugly renders of the Pandora, bad advertising for our Device. High-Quality Pics are a selling-factor I guess and we know that often these kind of Pictures exists even before a Device has arrived onto the market.

I was in a major rush last night, so just took the photos on my iphone. plus there was little natural light left (10pm) and the light in the room came from halogen downlighters.

i could take better photos later on today, but they will still get shot down by someone!

just some quick observations

battery life seems to be as good as craig claims. ive had it on for 5 hours doing a mix of web browsing, games playing and just finding my way round the menus and still have 60 % battery life left which it currently tells me is good for another 7 hours!

the keypad is excellent and typing feels very natural, even during prolonged use. I love the Speccy 48k style space key!

I can overclock stably on my unit upto 850mhz

cant really comment too much on the emulators just yet, but will try some out later on and report back.

Typing this all right now on the Pandora. How surreal is that :D

craigix said:
Looks like the 3000 will be faster to assemble than the 1000.
Nice to know Craig; you guys are doing a fantastic job :)

Not too sure what number I am (probably about 1500?) but If you need an extra body to do some work, I've just got the results from an MRI back and have been put onto sick pay. This means that after this week I have a month with absolutely nothing to do (I don't need to sign on or anything).

If you need some one to undertake a mundane job then feel free to send me an email/private message. As long as it's not a job that has a lot of bending or lifting I should be fine to help out :)

Back