Looking for a 5" 4:3 Composite Display

Kippykip

BFG 9000
Website
kippykip.com
Hey everyone, I've been wanting to do a project where I revive this broken mini CRT Black & White TV I got in the mid 2000s.
The plan is to stick a cheap TFT display in the front of the plastic shell, where the glass screen normally is. Then rewire everything to the old ports. I was even thinking about reusing one of the switches to toggle a built-in raspberry pi or something in there.

Only problem is it will need a 5" display that's in the 4:3 aspect ratio which are difficult to find (usually are always in 16:9 or uses HDMI only), it's about:
10.7cm x 8.2cm. I think a little excess wouldn't matter much (old TV's had overscan anyways).

This was the closest thing I found and I think would work fine:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.225.3fe26dbavpYo9E

Although 100USD is pretty expensive for this small project. Any suggestions?

EDIT: This one doesn't look too bad either
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.51.3fe26dbavpYo9E

Last edited:
Well your linked one is expensive cause it has a touchscreen. Is that required?

I am looking for such display too, so far searching for a car rearview display gives the most promising results, starting from 10€.
But yea, try to find a 4:3...

https://www.pollin.de/p/5-6-14-2-cm-display-set-jd567m03-at056tn52-vga-cvbs-120916
[doublepost=1519054423,1519054267][/doublepost]Oh, I see it's the same one now, but from Germany instead of China... Sorry :)
I heard this is a great screen. It has been used to replace an SX64 CRT by someone in the SX-64 owners facebook group
I might need to hire a translator for all the sites selling these displays :oops:

I am looking for such display too, so far searching for a car rearview display gives the most promising results, starting from 10€.
Narr I won't be using the touchscreen, funnily enough it's actually kinda difficult finding a 4:3 one without the touchscreen.
Didn't think about a car display, I'll have a look with those search terms. ;)
[doublepost=1519059163][/doublepost]

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Inch-...613327?hash=item33d57603cf:g:aoAAAOSwdIFXzOP9
I just found this one, it actually has the option to switch from 4:3 to 16:9 and seems to be about the right size. It even has 2 inputs which is nice, so that would make the internal raspberry pi idea work better.
I'll have to think about it, but doesn't seem too bad from what I can tell.

Interesting - would it be possible to use such a screen with the tv-out on the pandora? I still have one pandora without screen that I never use. With a screen like this (but then 7") I could make a mini-arcade with it..

Interesting - would it be possible to use such a screen with the tv-out on the pandora? I still have one pandora without screen that I never use. With a screen like this (but then 7") I could make a mini-arcade with it..
I don't see why it wouldn't

That interference/dial up noise is probably due to the CPU taking power away from the DAC or more likely the little amp connected to it and affecting the volume from moment to moment. You might be able to improve things by using a beefier power supply to the back of the unit, or maybe it's the internal power distribution at fault and there's nothing you can do, I dunno.

Pretty impressive work there though, especially bodging it together with silicone caulk, and RCA plugs and sockets all over :D

That interference/dial up noise is probably due to the CPU taking power away from the DAC or more likely the little amp connected to it and affecting the volume from moment to moment. You might be able to improve things by using a beefier power supply to the back of the unit, or maybe it's the internal power distribution at fault and there's nothing you can do, I dunno.

Pretty impressive work there though, especially bodging it together with silicone caulk, and RCA plugs and sockets all over :D
Thanks man! :D
And yeah actually that makes sense considering I can hear it even when the volume is off (not nearly as bad but still hearable! even when the mute button on the back is pressed!)

This is what I'm using though:
upload_2018-4-15_17-34-0.png

If the Pi isn't powered on the sound goes away, although I haven't tested powering it externally though.
Although I actually... kinda like the sound, you especially here it when the SD card is being accessed which sounds like an old hard-drive <3

FWIW, there's going to be no earths inside a plastic shelled box containing mostly bare board electronics. There's still grounds though and it's possible some external amp is connected to a different ground voltage than the Pi, but since the sound seems very dependent on CPU load, I think it's all down to the voltage drop due to increased loading. It's the old theory for separate hi-fi equipment, with every component being mains supplied and having a PSU. Motor load might have been an issue when it came to reel-to-real tape machines, I dunno, but it's mostly unnecessary these days. However, for a system running on 12V and containing a relatively hungry CPU, varying loads affecting the voltage in to the amps could be a real issue I reckon.

Back