Looking for something

Titcher

I am thinking of buying a GP32, but, I would prefer to find something better, like something with internet access somehow, Wi-Fi or bluetooth maybe?, woud probably be hard to find something to fit in your pocket that connects to Wi-Fi though, and also, i want to find something that can emulate those 16 bit games with all the buttons and speed needed (well there is an excuse for nintendo), and maybe something with a backlight, I looked at the zodiac and it can't emulate and theres no way i am paying £350 for a fancy metal brick. Any suggestions would be nice.

You want a PocketPC. The Dell Axim X5 is very powerful and cheap (285 bucks), but the X3 is coming out soon (closer to 300 or 400 bucks) and it has built in wifi (so you don't need to buy the card) Also, there are all sorts of 16 bit emulators for PocketPC, but they don't have nearly enough buttons. PocketPCs are really pretty crap for gaming, because they lack decent controls, and from your comment about the Zodiac it sounds like even an entry level PocketPC might be out of your price range.

GP32 is pretty damn good for what you pay.

What about a Zodiac? $300 for one (dunno what pounds) and it has built-in bluetooth, and theres probably already/going to be a WiFi connector for it soon...

sound's like your not going to get what your looking for....for the price your willing to pay!!!

No, not a zodiac, i want emulation, oh and do you have any idea of the price and release date of the X3, and will it emulate? I looked at the dell site, they said nothing about emulation or release dates. I am willing to pay quite a lot, but the zodiac doesn't do any of the things that attract me to the GamePark.

Titcher posted on Dec 3 2003 at 05:55 PM said:
No, not a zodiac, i want emulation, oh and do you have any idea of the price and release date of the X3, and will it emulate? I looked at the dell site, they said nothing about emulation or release dates.
there are emulators released for the zodiac already, and more will come. its in its v. early days still. for your needs i would reccomend a zodiac.

Last edited by a moderator:
The zodiac has emulation? I read nothing of it, do you have a site with info?

possumtoy posted on Dec 3 2003 at 05:59 PM said:
I think you should sit in a dark room and imagine your favorite video games. That would be free. Of course you would still need bluetooth. I think.
No, i was thinking more along the lines of buying something off some clever japanese people.

you might wanna just wait a few months and see what developments happen before spending the bucks..

eventually something will be released that fits all of your criteria, but it's gonna be awhile.

Titcher posted on Dec 3 2003 at 05:59 PM said:
Just to clarify, its not that machines like the GP32, Zodiac, or PPC "have" emulation, but that emulators can be written for them, to run on them. If you search in google you'll find lots of emulators that can be ran on PPC, most of which can be ran on/will easily port to, the Zodiac (as it's essentially a PPC). GP32 has various emulators for it as you know.

Hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, I just got the feeling you may have thought that emulators were something that had to be built into the machine.

Like Dozer said, Zodiac already has some emulators available for it, but that price.....ouch! + one of the problems with the Zodiac is that its SDK is not open-source, so that could hamper development of emulators somewhat if people are gonna have to pay for the SDK (although it'll most likely be leaked at some point, if not already).

Again, sorry if I got the wrong idea ;) :D

You probably won't find anything like what you want because nothing pocket sized apart from a Pocket PC can do 16-bit stuff well at all. My suggestion is either scrap all the extra ideas and get a GP32 and maybe 16-bit emulation will take off, maybe it won't, but either way it's not useless - or alternately, scrap the pocket sized idea and get a laptop. Laptops even run EPSXE and N64 emulators really well! :p

lek posted on Dec 3 2003 at 08:32 PM said:
Titcher posted on Dec 3 2003 at 05:59 PM said:
Just to clarify, its not that machines like the GP32, Zodiac, or PPC "have" emulation, but that emulators can be written for them, to run on them. If you search in google you'll find lots of emulators that can be ran on PPC, most of which can be ran on/will easily port to, the Zodiac (as it's essentially a PPC). GP32 has various emulators for it as you know.

Hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, I just got the feeling you may have thought that emulators were something that had to be built into the machine.

Like Dozer said, Zodiac already has some emulators available for it, but that price.....ouch! + one of the problems with the Zodiac is that its SDK is not open-source, so that could hamper development of emulators somewhat if people are gonna have to pay for the SDK (although it'll most likely be leaked at some point, if not already).

Again, sorry if I got the wrong idea ;) :D
I think he was just asking what emulators the Zodiac has.

Back