Lucas Arts Closed

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/disney-closes-game-publisher-lucasarts.aspx

vader.jpg

I'll just have to face the fact we will not see a true sequel to Tie-Fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sad new indeed. I have hoped for a late April Fool joke, but it doens't look like this :( .
Licensing model... Hum. more outsourcing so...

*edit* and yes, Tie-Fighter is a great games, none of the following title in the serie had the same intensity...

Maybe Ron Gilbert can get to buy back the rights to Monkey Island now, I suppose? :huh:

I'll just have to face the fact we will not see a true sequel to Tie-Fighter.
Alpha 1: Mission critical craft under attack! Mission critical craft shields down! Mission critical craft hull condition critical! Mission critical craft destroyed.

Abort mission, mission failed.

:(

Gutted

LucasArts early titles (Point & Click and Star Wars universe) were some of the best games ever.

I still play Dark Forces via PSX on my Pandora now.

I have lost count of the number of times I have played through Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Sam & Max.

LA has made some of the best games in history, but have they done anything halfway decent in the last 10-15 years? They've been cranking out pretty crap games for about as long as Lucas himself has been making bad movies, so it's really no surprise that Disney cut this division loose. If I missed some good games, please let me know, but I have been avoiding them like the plague for years :p   

That 1313 game was the first one in a long time that actually looked appealing to me, but that was years away, and no telling how good or bad the final product would have been.

I do hope that those rights to all of the Scuum games get in the hands of those who can do something great with those franchises, as those games where some of the best of the point/click genre ever made.

Chris

So first George Lucas raped Indiana Jones, and now Mickey Mouse rapes him...... :(

O well, at least we are getting new Star Wars movies.

LA has made some of the best games in history, but have they done anything halfway decent in the last 10-15 years? They've been cranking out pretty crap games for about as long as Lucas himself has been making bad movies, so it's really no surprise that Disney cut this division loose. If I missed some good games, please let me know, but I have been avoiding them like the plague for years :p   
Yeah, people are too nostalgic around here sometimes. They don't realize that the studio they loved has been delivering dunk over crap over the past 10 years. It's fairly obvious by now that all talented people at LucasArts left a LONG TIME ago and there's just the name that remains, nothing more. 

I would not be so enthusiastic about that. You are just asking for more stain on the original series. The "new" episodes were just awful already. Please stop the massacre.
Well, in Disney's defense, they can't do any worse than Lucas did right? :D

In the last 30 years, most of the best Star Wars items have been the ones that Lucas didn't touch(comics, animation, books, etc). I'm sure they are many "true" fans who want to see this series return to greatness, and making sure George Lucas doesn't come anywhere near these movies is the first step in the right direction.

I'm expecting the worse though, so if these new movies turn out like episodes 1,2 and 3 I won't shed any tears, but if they make something as good as the new Star Trek movie, I'm happy to become a fan again ;)

Chris

I would not be so enthusiastic about that. You are just asking for more stain on the original series. The "new" episodes were just awful already. Please stop the massacre.
Well, Disney would have been incapable of making something like The Empire Strikes Back - a movie where it does not finish with a Happy End !? Disney is completely incapable of doing something for mature audiences. I expect the worse and maybe even more than that. 

Well, Disney would have been incapable of making something like The Empire Strikes Back - a movie where it does not finish with a Happy End !? Disney is completely incapable of doing something for mature audiences. I expect the worse and maybe even more than that. 
I agree. Disney in recent years really have been making the same cookie cutter movies year after year, which don't seem to offer much in the way of edgy-ness.

Their original animated films where all very dark(when Walt was still alive), and although they where animated, they weren't really meant for children(at least not in the same way they are today). Sadly, that form of movie making is long gone from Disney, but I still think they can do way better than anything Lucas has come up with in recent years.

Either way it doesn't matter much, I just hope Disney will deliver the original Star Wars films on Blu-Ray "Untouched", and then buying Lucas out will have been well worth the effort :p

Chris

Ah yes, both Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were great game in my opinion. Hope to port them someway (looks like there is some assembler files int the unix part, but main problem will probably by the GL part of the (modified?) Quake3 engine).

Back