Making A Megadrive Protable

The NOMAD was US only, and has regional encoding.

Another reason to go with the proprietary design if you have a large collection of PAL MD games :)

I'd buy one of those for a dollar.......

Good luck Rabbits.

Gren posted on Sep 3 2005 at 10:00 AM said:
The NOMAD was US only, and has regional encoding.

Another reason to go with the proprietary design if you have a large collection of PAL MD games :)

I'd buy one of those for a dollar.......

Good luck Rabbits.

Only games made '94 onwards have a region lock out.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, nomad has jumpers inside it to change the reigeon codes. so does the megadrive mark 1. jumpers are easily located. just cut the tracks, and get a couple of small switches to change the setting. best setting btw = jap60, plays about 3/4 of all games.

Love the idea but please change the bottom positions. You are commiting blasphemy by arranging ABC in a semicircle, they should be placed in a line like God intended. The position of the Start button is still up for debate.

and for god sakes, move the speaker.. dont have it right in the middle of the buttons, the sound will come out muffled with your hand covering the speaker.. Unless its for kids only :p

Jaw posted on Sep 3 2005 at 02:40 PM said:
haha, nomad has jumpers inside it to change the reigeon codes. so does the megadrive mark 1. jumpers are easily located. just cut the tracks, and get a couple of small switches to change the setting. best setting btw = jap60, plays about 3/4 of all games.
no the games were region locked out. there is a compatability list on the net somewhere. google it

nonetheless, nice idea. I'd buy one.

try to make a portable snes next. that i'd buy FO SHO

And what he's saying is, is with that mod, your Nomand can act like any region you choose.

yeah, most of the later games have lockout, but about 3/4 of them will run on a jap 60 megadrive :) and all jap games will run on a english 50 spec megadrive :) it's just american stuff that's the problem lol :) and if you're american the nomad is no problem anyway.

How is your portable megadrive comin along ? i just ordered that ben hecks book. I have no idea about these things but i have a load of old playstations and snes`s and stuff so im goin to have a go once i read his book lol :lol:

Fishbong posted on Aug 29 2005 at 04:12 AM said:
LOL, one could think you don´t know what you own...

I also have an old Megadrive II sitting in my console closet, maybe i should give it a try... But then again, i could make a portale playstation instead...

omg, fishbong... you have to make a portable playstation... I want one of those so bad. I'd make one myself, but I just don't have the resources.

I will try make a portable snes or playstation. but i think the hardest bit will be to make the case for it. I know nothing about circuit boards and stuff but i think after i read this book i will b eable to do it but maybe not the case :(

Back