Mame 3.0

Franxis posted on Oct 11 2006 at 09:04 PM said:
I'm not Voboo :p but i inform you about a new incoming MAME GP2X (3.1) with great news. I have been implementing something similar to the method explained here about the efficient upper memory access:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Using_the_upper_32MB_of_memory

The good news: It runs!. Biggest Neo·Geo games (Metal Slug 2, Blazing Star, etc) now run ok!.

The new version will be release this weekend i suppose...

Regards.

wait when u say that they now run ok what do u mean, do they actually work well cuz thatd be awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
naples39 posted on Oct 12 2006 at 12:00 AM said:
Stainy posted on Oct 11 2006 at 06:31 PM said:
Excellent this is!

Just wondering... I`ve been messing with the shoulder buttons, moving the screen round and round etc..
I can`t get Pacman or Ms Pacman to fit on the screen... the bottom is missing ( viewable ) wise... like 1942 as well.. you can drop below the screen almost out of site..

any ideas??

Press L+R to cycle through the different screen scaling options. I'm sure you'll find some of them to your liking... :)

Thats what I`ve been doing.. and the best I can find is the screen with the bottom cut off slightly

That's peculiar, I just tried all 3 games and they work fine for me.

The default view cuts off the top and bottom, but views 2 (unscaled vertical), 3 (scaled horizontal), and 4 (scaled vertical) all work fine and show the whole screen. Not sure what to suggest.

Actually you could just use Gngeo2x to play Blazing Star, MSlug2 etc. however it's still cool, for example for the multi-player feature with joypads+bob, which gngeo doesnt support (yet) :)

naples39 posted on Oct 12 2006 at 12:25 AM said:

The default view cuts off the top and bottom, but views 2 (unscaled vertical), 3 (scaled horizontal), and 4 (scaled vertical) all work fine and show the whole screen. Not sure what to suggest.

Unscaled vertical looks best. Otherwise it looks either blocky or cropped.

Oh yes, I've been meaning to mention this... Franxis, is it possible to have a scaling option for unscaled, but fit vertically? It will mean black bars on each side, but I think some shooters will play better this way if you don't feel like turning the whole unit sideways (sometimes I do, and it's great).

gaterooze posted on Oct 12 2006 at 02:13 AM said:
Oh yes, I've been meaning to mention this... Franxis, is it possible to have a scaling option for unscaled, but fit vertically? It will mean black bars on each side, but I think some shooters will play better this way if you don't feel like turning the whole unit sideways (sometimes I do, and it's great).

Um, no. The screen has a fixed resolution and so does the game ;)

So if the game is over 240 pixels high it HAS to crop (or scale) when the GP2X is played "normal" (non-rotated) orientation.

DaveC posted on Oct 11 2006 at 10:05 PM said:

I would agree, and that is the mode I always use. Just saying that the scaled modes 'work,' and function as intended.

naples39 posted on Oct 12 2006 at 03:05 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 11 2006 at 10:05 PM said:

I would agree, and that is the mode I always use. Just saying that the scaled modes 'work,' and function as intended.

Yeah I was just giving an answer to the "Not sure what to suggest" part. I was suggesting :p

DaveC posted on Oct 12 2006 at 02:18 AM said:
gaterooze posted on Oct 12 2006 at 02:13 AM said:

Um, no. The screen has a fixed resolution and so does the game ;)

So if the game is over 240 pixels high it HAS to crop (or scale) when the GP2X is played "normal" (non-rotated) orientation.

Oops, I guess unscaled is the wrong word :) Okay then, "scaled for a vertical fit, not horizontal fit."

What you really are after is a scaled mode that keeps the aspect ratio whilst making maximum use of the screen resolution.
This will either scale the resulting screen larger or smaller but may not necessarily fill the screen in both dimensions.
I would think that this would look nicer than the current scaling approach which simply fills the screen. :)

I`ll look through the views again!!

An idea.. might have been done or posted already. when selecting roms.. how about using right and left stick to page down or up :)

EDIT!! rats!!! found the shoulder buttons do this :(

Just been messing with the rotation and stuff and the only screen that fits using the gp2x the right way round is the stretched one.. and that looks a big naff!! :(

so it`s either bits cut off from the bottom or the stretched one ( can`t read text )
oh well ;)

Stainy posted on Oct 12 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
Just been messing with the rotation and stuff and the only screen that fits using the gp2x the right way round is the stretched one.. and that looks a big naff!! :(

so it`s either bits cut off from the bottom or the stretched one ( can`t read text )
oh well ;)

Just turn it 90 degrees. Play it like a Gameboy then by using the stick to control it and the volume buttons to fire, jump etc.

Anyone know offhand if any of the Street fighter games work? if any of them did, i'd hail this as the best emulator ever.

sephiroth111 posted on Oct 12 2006 at 11:24 PM said:
Anyone know offhand if any of the Street fighter games work? if any of them did, i'd hail this as the best emulator ever.

yes

DaveC posted on Oct 13 2006 at 03:46 AM said:
Stainy posted on Oct 12 2006 at 06:03 PM said:

oh well ;)

Just turn it 90 degrees. Play it like a Gameboy then by using the stick to control it and the volume buttons to fire, jump etc.

Volume buttons to fire/jump ? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Back