Mame/amiga/atari 4 Dingoo Eta?

Iorgy77 posted on May 25 2009 at 04:38 PM said:
Took about two and a half weeks from ordering to recieve my black dingoo in AU. Nice little system so far, build quality seems solid and screen is nice.
I waited 8 months for the Wiz. I don't mind waiting 2.5 weeks for a Dingoo.
So you have a dingoo slaneesh? any plans to port anything interesting to it?
MAME4ALL if no one else is. Not sure if Franxis was interested in the Dingoo?
It would be nice to hear from CraigX or Zod on MAME.

Slaanesh,

Would that be a Linux port or for native OS?

Thanks

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Took about two and a half weeks from ordering to recieve my black dingoo in AU. Nice little system so far, build quality seems solid and screen is nice.

Slaanesh,

Thanks

Link
A Linux port would be fairly easy and straight forward - however I'd be looking at doing for the native OS.
I have to download the SDK and see what it's capable of doing and how good a fit it is.

If that's not do-able, then it would probably be a Linux port.

My Dingoo has only just shipped - I got a message from Deal Extreme yesterday indicating that it's on it's way. Expected shipping time is around 7-10 days so they say.

I'm excited about a nice little handheld with a decent controller. I love the NDS and GBA micro controllers, I'm hoping it's going to be something like that.

In the last few days I've been working on my last GP32 project (not MAME4ALL).

slaanesh! Great to hear you'll be trying to port MAME. I'm happy that you're going to try to do so for the stock firmware, since I doubt TV Out will be incorporated into linux for a while. Will your port of MAME have save states by any chance?

Also - don't expect quick service from dealextreme. It took me a month to get my dingoo.

I have to say, I'm once again disappointed in craigix. When he said we'd see MAME by the end of last month - he confirmed for me that he's totally inable of providing a remotely accurate deadline.

*unable

Yeah, how nice it was of craig to drop a bombshell, get our hopes up, and then completely disappear from the dingoo posts. Good on you Craig, you dingoo BS artist :D

Slaanesh,

Thanks

Link
A Linux port would be fairly easy and straight forward - however I'd be looking at doing for the native OS.
I have to download the SDK and see what it's capable of doing and how good a fit it is.

If that's not do-able, then it would probably be a Linux port.

My Dingoo has only just shipped - I got a message from Deal Extreme yesterday indicating that it's on it's way. Expected shipping time is around 7-10 days so they say.

I'm excited about a nice little handheld with a decent controller. I love the NDS and GBA micro controllers, I'm hoping it's going to be something like that.

In the last few days I've been working on my last GP32 project (not MAME4ALL"].[/quote]I'm looking forward to your dingoo being delivered :D

I don't know that the Dingoo SDK is good (tutorial for setting it up here http://a320.freeforums.org/s2dsdk-installa...uide-t299.html). Doesn't seem like anyone is a big fan, but native is always better I guess.

I actually think in this case linux will actually be much better suited and much more specialized than the native firmware ever could be. Keep in mind that the native firmware is little more than standard chinese pmp software, and is used as a blanket solution to many company's pmps. It is cheap, ready-made & can be slapped on with minimal effort, which keeps in line with the whole chinese pmp theme. Developing for the firmware requires a lot of platform-specific code to be incorporated, whereas most linux software requires only a cross-compile & controller remap. Couple this with the kernel's flexibility, stability and efficiency and the original firmware cannot even hold a candle to linux.

Tv-out shouldn't be too far in-coming if the rate at which things are getting reverse-engineered continues.

Either way, I'd be elated to see mame come to the dingoo =]

so come on craig, what the hell? some info would be nice, or indeed some emulators would be nice since its almost a month ago you said theyd be ready.

Slaneesh,

Do you take donations for your work?

Post a URL or PM me!

Thank you in advance!

Link

PS. If you were to port to native Dingoo OS, how would you use .zip MAME roms when .zip is already associated with CPS1 I believe??

With all the recent Linux for Dingoo - Dingux - activity I've decided to initially port MAME4ALL for Linux.

So far so good, and I should have an initial version of MAME4ALL on the Dingoo soon.

slaanesh said:
With all the recent Linux for Dingoo - Dingux - activity I've decided to initially port MAME4ALL for Linux.

So far so good, and I should have an initial version of MAME4ALL on the Dingoo soon.

WOOP! WOOP!

quadomatic said:
I'm very excited for MAME4ALL! Good work slaanesh!
Update. MAME4ALL on Dingoo is coming along. My private build is able to play games. There's still a few issues to sort out but should have a public test version soon. Looking good so far.

The initial build isn't going to be as fast as the GP2X version for games that currently use Cyclone and DrZ80. Other games will probably fair quite well. Testing is all done at standard Dingoo A320 speed.

Thanks slaanesh :) Great having someone of your calibur working on the Dingoo!

Having some early (1980 - 85) MAME games working would be great. Thanks for all your efforts - mucho appreciated! :)

Early days, but do you think it will be possible eventually to play some games with vertical aspect (rotated screen) such as Pacman?

sataniC Virus said:
Early days, but do you think it will be possible eventually to play some games with vertical aspect (rotated screen) such as Pacman?
Rotated screen will be full supported.

The only thing that probably won't be initially supported is screen scaling. The current Dingux kernel doesn't support the IPU hardware (yet!) which is used to do hardware video resizing. By inspection, it seems to produce nicely re-scaled video - IMHO better than the GP2X. I guess this is a pretty subjective area.

One reason the IPU isn't supported is that it supposedly takes 3.5MB of RAM away from the system, which is significant on a 32MB system.

Hi Slaanesh
Just to know. Do you think that CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo will be part of the initial release(or never be)and if you can include an option to set CPU speed ?

Mortys said:
Hi Slaanesh
Just to know. Do you think that CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo will be part of the initial release(or never be)and if you can include an option to set CPU speed ?
I've made some excellent progress with MAME4ALL on Dingoo. Just a few things to clean up in the frontend and we should have a test release within the next few days.

CPS1, CPS2 and Neogeo are included in the driver-set - though the larger games will probably not run due to lack of RAM. All CPS1 *should* run and some of CPS2/Neo Geo *should* run.
Mind you, all these use M68000 and Z80 CPU, which on the GP2X/Wiz have the deliciously fast Cyclone and DrZ80 assembler cores. These cores are not available for the Dingoo's MIPS CPU, so we are left with the standard 'C' language based CPU cores.

The initial release will include just the standard MAME CPU cores, however I will look at adding faster cores (M68K and Z80) at some stage and making other MIPS based optimizations if I can.

I have already added options to set CPU speed - anywhere from 300-420Mhz in steps of 12Mhz (thanks to A600's CPU code).

EDIT: R-Type is running quite nicely already overclocked to 396Mhz.

Back