Mame Gp2x 1.9

skeezix posted on Mar 16 2006 at 07:09 PM said:
Darn :) Not that I have time, but I nabbed your latest sources. One of these days I should take some time off and work on system 16 for you :p

How'd you manage to get access to the upper 16MB? Some MMU trickery so you can pick which 16MB bank you're looking at?

jeff

hehehe :D it would be cool to have some colaboration. Thanks.

For the upper 16 Mb support i have added some code in minimal lib, as well as modified malloc() and free() in the same library.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Mar 17 2006 at 03:48 AM said:
It would be nice to default to the ASM Z80 core on games which work with it, rather than 2 seperate exes - I fear people won't realise the speed up you get with using MAME_DrZ80.

I'm thinking on removing the compatible exe (i only use it with Golden Axe...). And rename the DrZ80 core as "mame_gp2x_fast"...

I notice with this version of MAME I get a faint white line on the left of the screen and the screen seems brighter on the left side.

Franxis does this version change the LCD timing settings? If so how can I change back to the default setting?

Thanks.

@Horscht
Same problem here. Seems that the cramfs firmware is the reason...

Regards,
Stephan

DaveC posted on Mar 17 2006 at 03:59 PM said:
I notice with this version of MAME I get a faint white line on the left of the screen and the screen seems brighter on the left side.

Franxis does this version change the LCD timing settings? If so how can I change back to the default setting?

Thanks.

nothing has changed in the LCD timing... your problem is really extrange... compare 1.9 and previous 1.8 version...

sbock posted on Mar 17 2006 at 09:14 PM said:
@Horscht
Same problem here. Seems that the cramfs firmware is the reason...

Regards,
Stephan

yeah the cramfs seems to be the reason. Heard others having the same problem. But I cannot 100% confirm it, as my uboot got fragged when I tried to reflash the old 1.4 GPH kernel

Franxis posted on Mar 17 2006 at 11:10 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 17 2006 at 03:59 PM said:

Franxis does this version change the LCD timing settings?  If so how can I change back to the default setting?

Thanks.

nothing has changed in the LCD timing... your problem is really extrange... compare 1.9 and previous 1.8 version...

I am using 1.0.1 FW if that is why. I hate the over-bright washed out settings that GPH is using on newer FW that is why I don't want to upgrade. It is like a setting on the LCD tweak where the slider is almost all of the way left like 1 or 2. You get that slight washing out of black on the left side and a faint vertical white line on the leftmost column.

When I load other emus and apps it doesn't do this. It looks like something sets a certain timing or parameter or something.

Hmmm .. I get that too, and I'm on FW 1.2.0 .... now that I think about it, it's been there since at least ver. 1.7

guys...

do i need to convert my roms for after each mame update? (new clrmame.dat)
cause a lot of roms still won't run, like metal slug for example...

Franxis posted on Mar 17 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
skeezix posted on Mar 16 2006 at 07:09 PM said:
Darn :) Not that I have time, but I nabbed your latest sources. One of these days I should take some time off and work on system 16 for you :p

How'd you manage to get access to the upper 16MB? Some MMU trickery so you can pick which 16MB bank you're looking at?

jeff

hehehe :D it would be cool to have some colaboration. Thanks.

I'm working on some stuff - but only in small bits - will let you know when I will contribute .....

Lazrhog posted on Mar 18 2006 at 02:54 PM said:
I'm working on some stuff - but only in small bits - will let you know when I will contribute .....

I think you were working on getting sound working in some classic games right? If so I hope you can do it. Good luck.

DaveC posted on Mar 18 2006 at 06:32 PM said:
Lazrhog posted on Mar 18 2006 at 02:54 PM said:

I think you were working on getting sound working in some classic games right? If so I hope you can do it. Good luck.

Yep, just an hour here and an hour there when I can fit it in. Phoenix first :D

Lazrhog posted on Mar 18 2006 at 07:54 PM said:
Yep, just an hour here and an hour there when I can fit it in.  Phoenix first  :D

Cool, are you using a still kind of lean MAME version that had emulated sound or are you using the newest?

Also once you figure out how to do one game with sound will the others be easier to do or do you have to start over for every game? Some of the other games that I really miss not having the sound for are the Donkey Kong series (huge, this was the first Mario game made) , Zaxxon, Galaxians, Frogger has sound now but is messed up, Berzerk, Frenzy, Exide games like Venture and Pepper II, Space Invaders, Asteroids, a few others.

Thanks again for attempting this.

hi GP2X newbie here,
DAMN you Mr MONROE:)

i got my unit a few days ago,
i upgraded the firmware (was that a good move?)
, and added MAME:)

Oh my God, how great is this?
the answer, very.

i realise it's still early days here, and that changes and additions take, time, skill, and brain power on the part of the dev person (you know who you are)

but i have a couple of issues...

BUTTON CONFIG:

is it me or is the keyboard redefining method is a little on the haphazard side?
or just NOT very intuitive, or does it just take some getting used too (a brain).
for example, it took me about 10 times to get Robotron running correctly with workable buttons.

the config SAVE is fantastic, a recent addition i hear.
(this must have been a nightmare on earlier releases, eh Shane? :)

SOUND:

it's a shame to see that SOUND is missing in some of the CLASSICS.
i understand that the inclusion of SAMPLE support may fix this issue.
Sound is very very important in gaming, more so when the grafix are 'basic':)
probably NOT just in my mind!
anyone else?

Mr developer, please, please DON'T fall in the trap of quantity over quality!
better a few classic games running FAST and 100% accurate,
rather than MANY BROKEN ones.

just my 2 pence / cents worth.

as i said this is just my view.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FRANCIS,
PLEASE don't take any offence,
as none is intended!

regards.

GaRy:)

splatthatcat dot com

No problem erikthecat :D

I think it is a generational problem... I'm 31 years old and probably my classic favourite games are not the same as you... My favourites are the ones in my youth (Ghosts'n Goblins, Commando, Snow Bros, Pang... and also after that Neo·Geo and CPS-1 games, I was a child at Donkey Kong or Zaxxon times, but i still enjoy a lot playing these games eh :) ).

Then i'm very happy with the current MAME GP2X status. I'm not motivated to spend a lot of work to add sound to Donkey Kong or Zaxxon... But MAME GP2X has not to be a single person work... I'm open to colaborations from everyone else...

MY work for the next versions will be speed improvements and increased compatibility... It would be cool to see colaboration from other coders...

Anyway my respect to DaveC, but i won't do the improvements he wish, only the improvements i want to spend my spare time... This is a free spare project... Donations are apreciated but they won't be the objective ever...

Again I'm very happy with current MAME GP2X status, it runs better than other MAME ports (palms, psp, gizmondo, symbian, etc).

Almost all games run perfectly now, cps-1 included (with some tricks in the configuration parameters: 250 mhz, audio and video at 60%, frameskip=2 (fixed to 2).

Regards. ;)

Franxis posted on Mar 17 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
craigix posted on Mar 17 2006 at 03:48 AM said:
It would be nice to default to the ASM Z80 core on games which work with it, rather than 2 seperate exes - I fear people won't realise the speed up you get with using MAME_DrZ80.

I'm thinking on removing the compatible exe (i only use it with Golden Axe...). And rename the DrZ80 core as "mame_gp2x_fast"...

is there a list of games that benefit from runnin' them from the drz80 exe?

@Franxis
100% ACK!
a-goodwork.gif

MAME GP2X is the king of the handheld MAME versions. :D

Just one question. Is it planned to add the options (DIP etc.) menue to the emulator? :unsure:

Regards,
Stephan

erikthecat posted on Mar 19 2006 at 09:21 AM said:
hi GP2X newbie here,

SOUND:

Blah, blah, blah....

regards.

splatthatcat dot com

Francis,

thanks you for your reply.
i knew the 'i'm open to offers of help with coding' line was coming,
i kind of asked for that didn't i? :)

one more question, i was under the impression as a long time user of MAME, that adding sample support was a quick fix? could you put the record straight.
would it be easier (in a perfect world) to add sample support rather than emulated sound?

a quick answer would be fine.

thanks in advance,

Back