Mame Gp2x 3.9

Do you guys all get the garbled shrieky voice samples in Yie Ar Kung Fu, or is that just me?

This emulator never ceases to amaze! Great work!!

Robotube said:
Do you guys all get the garbled shrieky voice samples in Yie Ar Kung Fu, or is that just me?

I'll have a look at this. I haven't noticed screeching voices but then I'm not REALLY familiar with the game...

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
chaos engineer said:
Optimizations in the Sega System 8 video hardware. Games like Choplifter running significantly better now.
is this something which would also boost the emulation speed of the gp32 version?

Yes it is, it's all video related calculations.

ok, do you consider to implement this? Sorry, I do not want to be greedy, but I love MAME on the gp32, it is somehow funky

slaanesh said:
@chaos engineer: You do have a GP2X, yes?
Yes, I do. Of course, Mame is superior on the gp2x, but I always loved your gp32 Mame updates (for instance, your Pheonix sample support was a landmark update). Anyway, do not worry. I guess I would be the only one who still plays Choplifter on the gp32.

slaanesh said:
Robotube said:

I'll have a look at this. I haven't noticed screeching voices but then I'm not REALLY familiar with the game...

Thanks, Slaanesh! Just as a quick example, when you insert a coin, you should hear "Hai!", but you hear a kind of "shriek" instead (I've got an arcade machine at my office, actually. :D )

I believe it's an issue with all the Konami games that use sampled voice. The same issue is found in Jail Break, and I'd imagine other Konami games of similar hardware, probably Double Dribble, too, though I haven't tried that yet.

Ah yes, well I am considering another build of MAME GP32. There were some previous complaints about volume for some games. I think some of this is to do with the mixer. It uses a less accurate mixing solution compared to the GP2X version. I haven't looked close, but my gut feeling is that replacing this with a more accurate version would help enormously, possible with not too severe speed slowdown.
Other changes could be implemented, though the new thread sound core as per the GP2X version would be a bit of work.

I'm still implementing the Yie Ar Kung Fu sound update; let you know soon how these pan out.

slaanesh said:
Ah yes, well I am considering another build of MAME GP32. There were some previous complaints about volume for some games. I think some of this is to do with the mixer. It uses a less accurate mixing solution compared to the GP2X version. I haven't looked close, but my gut feeling is that replacing this with a more accurate version would help enormously, possible with not too severe speed slowdown.
Other changes could be implemented, though the new thread sound core as per the GP2X version would be a bit of work.

I'm still implementing the Yie Ar Kung Fu sound update; let you know soon how these pan out.
Have you tried the Donkey kong and Donkey Kong jr sound on your unit? Does it have the same sample glitches that mine does?

slaanesh said:

Nice!

slaanesh said:
Cool! Thanks so much!

hmm.. even with the new mame version i am still experiencing disappearing sound in pspikes2.. can anyone please confirm this? thanks.

jozef

Two questions:
I am having trouble finding the correct Star Trek samples file. Anyone know where I can get it?
I can get Bobble Bobble to work, but not Bubble Bobble. Is this normal? I have read that Bobble Bobble doesn't freeze the enemies when you take the clock, so it would be nice to have Bubble working.

imhotep said:
Two questions:
I am having trouble finding the correct Star Trek samples file. Anyone know where I can get it?
I can get Bobble Bobble to work, but not Bubble Bobble. Is this normal? I have read that Bobble Bobble doesn't freeze the enemies when you take the clock, so it would be nice to have Bubble working.
Bubble Bobble doesn't work... protection not emulated.
Bobble Bobble is the same...

The Star Wars samples are actually not available, I had to convert them from a later set. I don't have anywhere to upload them and not sure if it's worth putting them up on gp32x.de file archive?

Can anyone host a 0.5MB file for the starwars.zip samples file? Sound files have no legal problems as they are just... sound files. :)

As for sound problems, I've found some other wee problems so there's going to be another update required at some stage.

Looking at Donkey Kong and Wizard of Wor Samples soon.

Yie Ar Kung Fu - I've shoe horned a later version of the vlm5030 sound hardware and... samples play! but still a bit fast so I've got find out whats wrong there...

slaanesh said:
Can anyone host a 0.5MB file for the starwars.zip samples file? Sound files have no legal problems as they are just... sound files. :)
You meant startrek.zip, didn't you?

Yeah it would be great if someone could host the new file. :)

Hello, I'm a new user of gp2x (I buy this principally for play mame) and I would like to give a lot of thanks to the coders. I'm impressed and very happy with this emulator.

One question, samples for space panic are supported? (I'm trying to use converted samples (wav to sam) but it don't works.

Loving this new version, but I have question:

The sounds in Asteroids seem a bit "rough", particularly the engine noise. Sounds like a looping sample has a slight glitch in it. Anyone else notice this?

Back