MAME has merged with MESS!.. to form UME?

ShleeDragon

Pro-Catflip
This is excellent news.. Id love to see mess ported to the pandora once the master is a little more stable

I'm going to assume everybody knows what MAME is.. but MESS (Multi Emulator Super System) supports 632 unique systems with 1,668 total system variations and is growing all the time. We're talking portable and console gaming systems, computer platforms, and calculators.

This is something which was due to happen for a long long time... sadly the MAME core as a whole requires more resources over time due to the primary objective being accuracy so I doubt it would run "well" on the Pandora in any kind of full speed.

but we could try the nes/snes/mega/master/blah blah blah.

Good times :)

edit:

List of all of the systems with technical. http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/sysset.php

List of all of the systems with games. http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/lsset.php

Last edited by a moderator:
As this is based on the newer MAME builds I would say it will struggle on the Pandora, I would love to be proved wrong though.

Doesn't Mess just act as a frontend and command forwarder/converter for all the emulators? It should just be a case of swapping Mame executables to get it using a different version shouldn't it? It's not like the Mame program itself has changed much over the years, just the compatibility with games.

Last edited by a moderator:
As this is based on the newer MAME builds I would say it will struggle on the Pandora, I would love to be proved wrong though.

No doubts latest Mame builds are not suitable for the Pandora, even the 1Ghz version.

Would like to see one day PanMame with ASM cores and a port of the very old Modeler emulator, for the Sega System 32 Arcade games.

@trip: Mess is just like Mame in the fact that it provides a "driver" interface to all the chips and IO for all the bits of a machine. Mess uses the same basic framework as Mame. Current builds of Mess are using the more resource hungry Mame core that the Pandora doesn't like. I find it somewhat odd that they are making this announcement at all because Mess and Mame have been using shared source code for awhile now. In fact in order to compile Mess, you download the Mame source and turn on a ./configure flag to configure it to build Mess instead of Mame.

Don't see any benefits of merging the two projects.

I just hope they go in the MAME direction in terms of licence policy.

Would like to see one day PanMame with ASM cores and a port of the very old Modeler emulator, for the Sega System 32 Arcade games.
I think Modeler was integrated into mame.

Sure but currently only Mame EX plays Sega System 32 games on the Pandora at a very low framerate (basically they are unplayable) while on PanMame, for some strange reason, they are unsupported although they appear in the list. Modeler would be probably the best way to play those Sega Arcade games on the Pandora with a very good framerate.

I never see a download location for the sources of Modeler.

This is true, in fact i remember there was someone planning to port Modeler for the old GP2x but never obtained the sourcecode:

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=49714&page=1&PHPSESSID=3085415dfda1a5fe01a3a30dc8371dce

After a quick Google search i found this (in it there is written "based on the Modeler sourcecode"), but i dont know if this is enough for a Modeler port since i am not a dev:

http://tech.quarterarcade.com/tech/MAME/src/system32.c.html.aspx?g=0

still would be nice just to see what works and what don't from the UME build on the Pandora

Sorry, my original post has horrible grammar.

MESS is a "backend" emulator.. there are multiple frontends which will make using it much easier.

MESS was considered a sister project and it works pretty much the exact same from a technical side as MAME. The concept is based on the idea that similar systems and consoles use the same hardware.... and a patch to fix a bug in one piece of hardware will resolve a bug in every single console which requires that hardware to be emulated.

This means the hardware requirements are generally pretty intensive because they're actually emulating the hardware as is.... and I mean very low level emulation. opening up a chip on a powerful microscope and figuring out the logic of a chip. extracting the firmware and making it work as expected in software.

@trip: Mess is just like Mame in the fact that it provides a "driver" interface to all the chips and IO for all the bits of a machine.
Ah cotcha, cheers for the info.

I've been under the assumption that it just integrated all the different available emulators and have stayed away from it for that very reason. Think it would be a good idea to download it A.S.A.P and see what I'm missing :)

Back