MAME

silvercroc said:
someone please reassure me that i'll be able to play the simpsons and the turtles?! i'm gaggin here lol
Depends on what version gets ported and what games they support, speed wise I don't see a problem running those 2 games, it's advanced 3D arcade games where the problems will begin!

I just want to play Sunset Riders, and NO the SNES version won't do :D

All I want out of the Pandy port is Earth Defense Force and Smash TV. I have serious doubts, but if it got Cyber Sled working at a reasonable speed, I would send an internal organ of their choice to the developer.

Warden said:
Robotron 2084, though i'm not sure how the twin nubs will hold up.

Robotron's sticks in real life were 8-way digital, so using the dpad and buttons might work better.

Now if you want to use the sticks, you have to go with Food Fight, one of the most under-appreciated games around. That game was designed for a 360 stick and is completely unplayable with a dpad.

Thrillhouse said:
Warden said:
Robotron 2084, though i'm not sure how the twin nubs will hold up.

Robotron's sticks in real life were 8-way digital, so using the dpad and buttons might work better.

never played on an original cab, but the vast majority of the many many many hours I have spent on this game were on a full size MAME cabinet, which had two eight way digital sticks.

Was utterly brilliant.

When playing robotron on a gamepad or similar (xbox marketplace, laptop PC MAME) I have always found twin analogue sticks offer a better experience than a d pad or buttons, even though they're somewhat imprecise when essentially functionning as a digital control. In robotron I use a lot of sweeping and circular motions, well suited to this. I think the nubs will be fine, and certainly better than any other handheld version of Robotron.

I don't own a GP2X, or any portable system other than DS/old Gameboys. So, getting these arcade games in portable fashion is a new thing for me.

But I've been wanting decent, portable ports of:

Smash TV
Sunset Riders
Elevator Action
Super Sprint
Paperboy
Simpsons: The Arcade Game
Tecmo Bowl (arcade version)
Willow
MVP Baseball

...and many more for years. The fact that MAME on Pandora would make all of this academic is drool-worthy for me. :lol:

any indication as to how well CPS2 and Neo Geo based games will run? Marvel Vs. Capcom, KOF, etc... ??

The emulation on those games seems very efficiently done on PC MAME, but system requirements still a lot higher than 80's games.

Warden said:
any indication as to how well CPS2 and Neo Geo based games will run? Marvel Vs. Capcom, KOF, etc... ??

The emulation on those games seems very efficiently done on PC MAME, but system requirements still a lot higher than 80's games.

Assuming CPS2Emu and GnGeo are ported over from GP2X versions which were already pretty fast, I would expect them to be 60fps on Pandora.

Thrillhouse said:
Assuming CPS2Emu and GnGeo are ported over from GP2X versions which were already pretty fast, I would expect them to be 60fps on Pandora.

That would be superb, and a real showcase for the Panda's capability. Here's hoping :D

Back