Master Class - Pokemon style game?

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I've been reading a Pokemon Platinum Let's Play for what seems like ages (due to the distinct lack of time during April). I remember playing Pokemon Blue at college, and it was pretty good fun, with the exception of the massive amounts of unskippable text.

Soooo,I'm thinking about writing a Pokemon style game primarily for the Pandora (though should be easy to compile for Windows/Linux)

Planned features:

• TCP/IP support for battling other players directly across the internet
  • "Casual" mode that let's you warp around the world faster (this will be offsetted by "trained" monsters having higher stats at equivalent levels to those in the "wild")
  • "Community world" - This is only a possibility, but maybe allow players to join a server world so you can see other players walking around, as opposed to the direct challenging.

Thoughts?

Edit: Updated the title to reflect the new game title : Master Class: Collectable Creature Combat

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe leave the multiplayer bit until PandaHub has been organized/specified/set up ?

Alternatively create an incredibly open/extensible chat/network multiplayer/game.server list system - which could be extended to for a cross game standard...

Is there any info on the PandaHub? Fraid I've been away most of April so not really up to date on any developments of late

I'm making an RPG-engine, maybe it can be modded a bit to save time? I guess the current limitations are primarily that it's coded for 4 (well, you can get away with 5 without anything exploding, but the inventory system isn't designed for it.) party-members, and that it uses a learn-by-experience-points system rather than level-system.

It also needs a few tweaks to compile for windows (mainly my use of libdl), but other than that, might be worth looking into?

Is there any info on the PandaHub?
Not much that I heard - I know the consensus was for XMPP based communication, and there's a thread somewhere where high-score authentication was being discussed...

If you are looking for a neat rpg engine, that runs on pandora and is allegro based, you might want to have a look at Alice in Clicheland. It is sort of a techdemo and can. Be found on the repo, but I think it might be adaptable for a game like that.

I'm making an RPG-engine, maybe it can be modded a bit to save time? I guess the current limitations are primarily that it's coded for 4 (well, you can get away with 5 without anything exploding, but the inventory system isn't designed for it.) party-members, and that it uses a learn-by-experience-points system rather than level-system.

It also needs a few tweaks to compile for windows (mainly my use of libdl), but other than that, might be worth looking into?
If you are looking for a neat rpg engine, that runs on pandora and is allegro based, you might want to have a look at Alice in Clicheland. It is sort of a techdemo and can. Be found on the repo, but I think it might be adaptable for a game like that.
Thanks both, thought I'd gauge some interest before I start this.

Also, depending on which Allegro version Alice uses, it might not be any good. I think we only have 4 on the Pandora and from what I remember, I think it was quite slow (I could be wrong though, it was a while ago). I'd love Allegro 5, but I didn't get very far trying to compile it.

My engine is incomplete (overworld magic is only partially there, and battle state isn't there at all.) Oh, and audio isn't there, but I got some audio-code that will probably just fall in place.

However, the rest of it is pretty much full-speed.

Am I the only one who runs into the opposite direction when just hearing "Pokemon"? :D

I really like Japan and Manga and Anime and Videogames but Pokemon is a franchise I wish that it never was being made.

However, if you can make a good game out of the idea to catch little weird monsters that fight against each other OK, as more good games the Pandora has, as better it is. :)

OK... I would ADORE an open-source Pokémon style RPG, even more-so if you can get a proper freeroaming multiplayer aspect going where you can just wander around catching wild Pokémon and if you should bump into another online player you can there and then battle them or trade, kinda like the NPCs but you wouldn't need as many NPCs!

It's one thing I have been longing for Nintendo to do forever... but they are not to hot with online...

I still play my Pokemon Red a lot. I never got into the TV shows or the rest of the franchise.

Anyways, I would really enjoy something like this. I imagine there's already some open source RPG games/engines out there that could be made into a Pandora community-specific RPG.

And, what Paradox said:

OK... I would ADORE an open-source Pokémon style RPG, even more-so if you can get a proper freeroaming multiplayer aspect going where you can just wander around catching wild Pokémon and if you should bump into another online player you can there and then battle them or trade, kinda like the NPCs but you wouldn't need as many NPCs!

It's one thing I have been longing for Nintendo to do forever... but they are not to hot with online...

in all honesty, Pokemon would have the possibility of taking WoW's crown in the MMO market if Nintendo decided to go that route. there is a massive amount of potential as a MMO, but as ive said before, Nintendo is great at what they do, terrible at what they dont

Hot fix 6 is evolving into Super Zaxxon Beta! QEmu uses rebirth and is super effective! If you wanted to you could use the wifi for location based gaming, an idea I had for phones many years ago; you play the game and depending on where you are physically in the world would give you different creatures. Maybe even different parts of the world making you trade with others to get all the beasties.

Maybe make it bitwars style ;)

Collect consoles instead of monsters and let them fight with stats like retroness and bits and stuff...

Just joking of course.

^ @GiraffeeDreams: That's an interesting idea, but unfair and impractical for people like me.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who runs into the opposite direction when just hearing "Pokemon"? :D
It did go into overkill, and the gameboy games were a pain in the arse, because there was so much (boring) text to scroll through. As a concept of a game though, I liked it. But needs things like the "casual" mode IMO

If you wanted to you could use the wifi for location based gaming, an idea I had for phones many years ago; you play the game and depending on where you are physically in the world would give you different creatures.
Interesting idea, but I'll probably just do two or three "editions". Depending on how many monsters we get (I'll open suggestions to the boards).

Back