Matte Touchpad for the P2 -- on the back.

maltheopia

Still Fresh
So, here's an idea. It may not be a very good one, but it is an idea.

What if instead/in addition to the joystick nub, the back of the Pandora 2 had a laptop-style touchpads on the back? You had a depression 1/8th  of an inch in the middle of the thing, 3" x 2" surface area with a rubber ring or smooth edges, and had a matte finish.

Of course, if everyone finds the controller stick fine that's fine (it's not as important as it would be for a, say, UMPC), but I find it slightly unnatural to use the joystick to move a mouse pointer while manipulating the buttons. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi & welcome to the boards.

Sounds like an interesting idea to me, are you imagining it would work in a similar way to PS Vita?

Not sure of the costs involved / impact on unit size but it seems to me like something that would be useful as an option rather than a replacement for the nub / touchscreen.

I think I suggested this ages ago, and met with a don't want/don't care response.

Nevertheless, I think its a good idea - anyone know how much it would cost?

Also, they are a Korean based company. Funny enough, I will be spending next school year as an exchange student there. Being that I'm the only person (that I know of) on the OP boards that speaks Korean and will live there for an extended period of time, I'd be happy to volunteer to be a "spokes person" of sorts. I know we could make these ourselves, but if ED wants to source large quantities from them directly, they might want to talk to someone face to face. HOLY CRAP I'd love to be that guy.

Ok, im getting carried away. I just like the idea of being directly helpful with the development of the P2

The whole reason why I support a touchpad for the mouse instead of the joystick nub is to make typing + mouse pointer manipulation easier. I feel that thumb-typing would be a lot easier if you could just use your middle and ring finger to move the cursor, index to click the shoulder-cum-mouse buttons, and thumbs for the actual keystrokes.

@Mr_Loon: Pretty much. The touchpad is underutilized for what few games I played, but that's the basic idea behind it. I suspect that it doesn't get used much because it is after all a portable gaming console; no one really makes games or browsers that would require you having to switch between one kind of control style and another. But for, say, navigating a Linux OS or for word processing it's a lot more vital.

@EssoAir: Yup. I don't think you even need additional buttons on the back. As long as the P2 has double shoulder buttons on each corner (which as far as I can tell is the consensus anyway) you can just have the matte touchpad.

Also, I know that the Pandora/P2 is by any reasonable definition an UMPC, it's just that I can't shake the image in my mind's eye of it being '3DA/Vita, but way sweeter'. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mr_Loon: Pretty much. The touchpad is underutilized for what few games I played, but that's the basic idea behind it.

@EssoAir: Yup. I don't think you even need additional buttons on the back. As long as the P2 has double shoulder buttons on each corner (which as far as I can tell is the consensus anyway) you can just have the matte touchpad.

The whole reason why I support a touchpad for the mouse instead of the joystick nub is to make typing + mouse pointer manipulation easier. I feel that thumb-typing would be a lot easier if you could just use your middle and ring finger to move the cursor, index to click the shoulder-cum-mouse buttons, and thumbs for the actual keystrokes.
Nice idea!  Hope Ed would charm in on this.  ED?

Back