Things that are in the P1 we dont want/need for P2

I generally think most people would just like it as it is.. but some tweaks like improved case.. upgraded parts and few extras like accelerometer, camera, etc

Actually, the Omap3530 has a 4-port usb-hub built-in. But utilising that requires some additional chip. But USB2 has pretty high latencies, and idle-power-consumption.

I Myself would prefer 2 compact-flash slots over SD. Those are faster, bigger, and probably more reliable.

And a DisplayPort instead of TV-out. Gives you multi-monitor, for starters (if you can find a switch, or daisy-chaining monitor...) . Just throw in some dongles for the older connectors.

Actually, the Omap3530 has a 4-port usb-hub built-in. But utilising that requires some additional chip. But USB2 has pretty high latencies, and idle-power-consumption.

I Myself would prefer 2 compact-flash slots over SD. Those are faster, bigger, and probably more reliable.

And a DisplayPort instead of TV-out. Gives you multi-monitor, for starters (if you can find a switch, or daisy-chaining monitor...) . Just throw in some dongles for the older connectors.

Not a lot of point in choosing connectors now, in a few year's time there will be some new ones while others will have died out.

Better TV-out is a must though

remove the proprietary tv out connection.... annoyance made worse by the lack of supply of cables

wouldn't say remove the tv out feature, just the connection but use a industry standard connection.

If HDMI is not financially feasible, use one of those headphone jack to RCA connections or soemthing like dvi, vga or any open standard. Something I can go down to my local electronics store and buy a replacement cable. Also preferably something that can be downscaled rather than upscaled with adapters.

remove the proprietary tv out connection....
It's not proprietary; it's fully open, just custom. You want one? A number of people have many connectors and some are even willing to make TV cables.

OK bad choice of words, but everything else still applies.

Please make a normal video out connector that I'm not forced to make myself, get from the manufacturer or get from a forum member

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Access to GPIOs is good though, maybe have some of these poking through the back of the case? (whats the official term for them anyway?)

Angled_Strip.jpg

^ If I'm not mistaken, "headers" (correct me if I'm wrong, though, please).

Looks like we have an agreement: Pandora is perfect. For the v2 we only want more memory, faster processor and bigger screen.
Actually, I think that switching from ARM to PowerPC before it's too late is a good idea.

Looks like we have an agreement: Pandora is perfect. For the v2 we only want more memory, faster processor and bigger screen.
Actually, I think that switching from ARM to PowerPC before it's too late is a good idea.
This doesn't sound like something that would make any sense. I'm curious as to why you think this. :p

I've just always liked the speed and good performance of PowerPC. (PowerPC stands for "Performance Optimization With Enhanced RISC; Performance Computing." RISC stands for "Reduced Instruction Set Computing." If you think about it, it sounds like an awesome CPU.) Also, I noticed that In the game console world, every home console has PPC, and every handheld has ARM. But there are mobile PPC CPUs, so why not try packing some big into the small?

I've just always liked the speed and good performance of PowerPC. (PowerPC stands for "Performance Optimization With Enhanced RISC; Performance Computing." RISC stands for "Reduced Instruction Set Computing." If you think about it, it sounds like an awesome CPU.) Also, I noticed that In the game console world, every home console has PPC, and every handheld has ARM. But there are mobile PPC CPUs, so why not try packing some big into the small?
ARM stands for Advanced RISC Machine... ;) (Originally Acorn RISC Machine, since it originated from the British computing company, Acorn, back in the early 1980s.)

ARM stands for Advanced RISC Machine... ;) (Originally Acorn RISC Machine, since it originated from the British computing company, Acorn, back in the early 1980s.)
Wow, you know quite a bit. I was going to mention all of that! Do you spend lots of time on Wikipedia too?

Wow, you know quite a bit. I was going to mention all of that! Do you spend lots of time on Wikipedia too?
You realize these forums are populated by hardcore computer geeks don't you?

Also, I can't see PPC doing wonders for battery life or price.

There are quite powerful ARM processors designed for mobile gadgets coming out every month - cheaper, purpose designed, better supported, better developed - almost every ARM chip will work with the Android/linux kernel after Linux 3.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...yes........THERE SHOULD BE SOME KIND OF KNOWLEDGE CONTEST TO SEE WHO KNOWS THE MOST USELESS FACTS ABOUT THE HARDWARE IN THE PANDORA!

Thats not exactly useless knowledge, as you have to know what you're deving for.

Edit: Caps Lock ftw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...yes........THERE SHOULD BE SOME KIND OF KNOWLEDGE CONTEST TO SEE WHO KNOWS THE MOST USELESS FACTS ABOUT THE HARDWARE IN THE PANDORA!
Wizardstan? MWeston?

Anyway, there's no need to shout, we can all read your posts :)

i think we're hurting his/her feelings...

lighten up guys

but seriously, the general consensus is that ARM is the way to go for handhelds as that is by far the most cost effective and advanced architecture for embeded systems for consumer devices. With the boom of smartphones and specifically android smartphones pushing the the licencing and in turn hardware research and development and linux kernel development... it going to push them even further ahead when comparing them to other architectures.

several years ago before arm processors really took off I thought x86 would still be a viable alternative to arm because they shown they were starting to dive into low power chipsets for handhelds. But since that time ARM processors have tightened the gap between the two architectures in regards to power and while bringing the power efficency with it and from the looks of it just got even better at what they were good at. You can compare some of the processing power of latest gen arm processors cortex a15 and they will stand toe to toe with some x86 atom processors but use a fraction of the power.

available software still gives a tip of the hat to x86 but with the popularity of smartphones and soon laptops turning to armV7 devices I see that architecture being the next big thing... wouldn't surprise me at all if arm themselves assure backwards compatiblility in their next iteration beyond the a15 which think I read being the last to use the armv7 arch

Back