Things that are in the P1 we dont want/need for P2

I'd like to echo Slaeshjag's comment about how he'd like everything the P1 has, but improved.

That said, there are some things I can do without - things I never use, and things that I think are detrimental to the Pandora as a whole:

1. Touchscreen

2. Wifi

3. Craig

4. Three-state power button

D.

You want WiFi to be removed? I use a wired network whenever available, but in the train and/or airport the WiFi is quite handy.

You want WiFi to be removed? I use a wired network whenever available, but in the train and/or airport the WiFi is quite handy.

These are just the things that I personally either never use or feel hold no (or a negative) benefit - others may well find that they have been of benefit. I don't find the Pandora to be at all comfortable to browse the web on (it's way too slow to run a decent browser) and the keyboard is not suitable for typing on for say, IRC or whatever... So Wifi is pretty redundant here, and the first thing I do on installing a new firmware is to disable it and remove the icons from the taskbar (I actually remove all the icons barring pandora menu, battery status and clock).

D.

I like the WiFi-feature. Since I got my pandora, I have yet to use its SD-cards in another computer or connecting it via the USB OTG port. I used it ocasionally for web-browsing, and it was really handy for IRC over SSH.

I guess I've been lucky with my router, I can get a steady 500 kB/s over the WiFi.

Looks like we have an agreement: Pandora is perfect. For the v2 we only want more memory, faster processor and bigger screen.

Pandora 1 has a microphone but was it ever used in any app? I naver found out how to even enable it or test it (without Terminal typing stuff). I guess there is just no app that makes usage of the Pandora Mic so I guess we don't need one in Pandora 2.

Pandora 1 has a microphone but was it ever used in any app? I naver found out how to even enable it or test it (without Terminal typing stuff). I guess there is just no app that makes usage of the Pandora Mic so I guess we don't need one in Pandora 2.
I have successfully tested the mic using Audacity. Needs just a little configuration of the app's options to work, no fussing around with the shell.
The mic's quality is great.

Looks like we have an agreement: Pandora is perfect. For the v2 we only want more memory, faster processor and bigger screen.
Maybe a microSD slot behind the battery (no problems with unmounting during low power mode)

Faster SD R/W speeds

Better wifi

Tougher case

Leave mic, why bother to take it out?

IR transceiver would be nice (probably cheap too) - good for talking to old electronic gadgets - remote control (in either direction)

I would also like DAB/DVB and GPS

Some people also want HSPDA, ATSC compass, gyro, accelerometer

How about an extra layer that users could fit under the main PCB, above the battery (with a case extender) with all that stuff on

Maybe a microSD slot behind the battery (no problems with unmounting during low power mode)
This. Drop the NAND and go with this.

Supply a small card as standard, and then users who need more space for the OS can provide a bigger one if they need it. :p

I wonder if the nand can be discarded so easily, as it is part of the soc, or isn't it?

Edit: Anyway... +1

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't a single thing in the Pandora that isn't utilized by someone.

It just needs to be improved upon in some areas.

Drop the keymat for one that allows backlighting... and isn't so shiny. It looks pretty, but trying to find an alternate symbol if you haven't memorized them can be a real pain with all those reflective highlights.

I certainly would use the mic if someone wrote some dictaphone software that could be used with the lid closed and operated via the shoulder buttons. In fact, I would *love* it if someone did this.

I've always wanted a dictaphone... I don't see why the Pandora couldn't be turned into a first class if not superior alternative.

I haven't used bluetooth yet, but I intend to one day...

wifi for me sucks. If it stays as is, I wouldn't miss it in P2.

I think we should keep the nand, but use it for something else instead of for the Primary OS. internal MicroSD is the way to go.

@ZXDunny: Lose the touchscreen?!! That's Madness! o.o

I wouldn't have bought a pandora without wifi, even as slow as it is I use it everyday for browsing and mail.

I think that microphone would be more intersting if a front camera was added, enabling the option of video chat. I mean I can't think in any application that needs only the mic.

I like a lot the idea of having an internal, replacable card as hard drive. Also I think it's very useful a keyboard with some kind of backlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with dropping the NAND is that you would then have to get storage some other way. The current OMAP has 3 SD buses, but the third one is used by the wifi chip. It would need some rejiggering, a different wifi chip probably, unless the OMAP4/5/99 has 4 SD buses.

The problem with dropping the NAND is that you would then have to get storage some other way. The current OMAP has 3 SD buses, but the third one is used by the wifi chip. It would need some rejiggering, a different wifi chip probably, unless the OMAP4/5/99 has 4 SD buses.

How much space/complexity/loss of performance would doing it over USB involve?

Again, depends entirely on the future SoC used. The OMAP3 has 2 USB, so doing it over USB would require basically building a hub into it or removing one of the two USB ports. If later OMAPs have a 3rd USB then there's no problem, same as if it had 4 SD.

Back