Micro Wifi Dongle

Ian J

Advanced Member
Can someone point me in the right direction for one of the Micro Dongles (Netgear or Belkin) that will work out of the box on the Pandora?

There are 2 Belkin Models & 1 Netgear that match the description on the Wiki but no model numbers are given, I want to ensure I get the right model.

I've got a great little Sandberg device which powers up and detects, but the drivers don't work with HF6. They're only a compile away for someone who knows what they're doing. Alas that someone is not me.

Are there any dongles that work out of the box using the latest Hotfix?

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't they the ones provided with the wifiless pandoras?

I just got the Belkin Surf N150 Micro WLAN USB-Adapter from the USB-Compatibility-List from the Wiki and it works out of the box with Hotfix 7b1 (should work with HF6, too). It sticks out about 7mm.
Sweet, what sort of speeds you getting? Can you use it to stream audio / video?

Can you tell me if this is the model number of the dongle? F7D1102ED

Thank you.

Are there any dongles that work out of the box using the latest Hotfix?

Since HF6:

* Included drivers for RTL8712/8188/8191/8192SU/8192CU WLAN Sticks.

Search for those.

Are peaps using this cause the internal wifi is still crappo? Mine appears to be slow as, I'm on HF6, any large updating/install via PNDStore is a leave it to run overnight job.

I get up to 400k but speed is VERY erratic, and I lose connection quite often.

If I buy a supported micro adapter and plug it in does it disable the inbuilt wifi and start using the usb one? Including the wifi util?

I'm currently trying to compile up some Ralink drivers, as source is available and these would be a great addition to the Pandora's supported Wifi chips. It's been done before with: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=RT3572USB_Pandora so I know it's possible.

However, I can't seem to get the right kernel source to build against, and ultimately end up with a module that spits out the error: "rt5370: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module"

Anyone know the right tag for kernel version 2.6.27.46-omap1 in HF6? If I can get this up and running, I'll also build it for HF7 Final when it's released and see if I can package it up for the greater good.

Anyone know the right tag for kernel version 2.6.27.46-omap1 in HF6? If I can get this up and running, I'll also build it for HF7 Final when it's released and see if I can package it up for the greater good.

Best moved to Development Talk where Notaz and co may notice it?

Best moved to Development Talk where Notaz and co may notice it?

Probably true. Although they may similarly ignore it. I was hoping someone would end up here primed with a bit of driver compilation knowledge, a few folks have built their own drivers now.

The more Wifi devices/chipsets we can demonstrate to be compatible ( by making them compatible, of course ), the easier it gets to buy one.

Update

90% of my problem was due to the lack of any explicit tagging on the Pandora git repositories. There's no way of little ol me knowing which tag is appropriate for the HF6 Final Kernel. So, I updated to HF7 beta.

The compiled module inserts and runs, but either has some problems it's not keen on shouting about, or doesn't include any device/vendor ID for my specific card.

If anyone has a Ralink Wifi device of the RT8070 /RT3070 /RT3370 /RT5370 /RT5372 persuasion, and wants to give it a go, give me a shout.

Some Ralink modules are included in the latest hotfix.

All you need is the firmware.

Some Ralink modules are included in the latest hotfix.

All you need is the firmware.

I've updated to HF7 already, as part of my attempts to get this driver working. I think the drivers which you speak are the alternate community maintained rt2x00 drivers which don't support my device. However, there is a patch floating out there which might change that.

My driver now "works", in that I can establish a connection, obtain an IP with dhclient and get some semblance of communication going on. But it's flaky as hell, to say the least, and network manager wants to have nothing to do with it.

Does ifconfig reports packet loss ?

What's the name of the device (pure curiosity) ?

Back