Microsoft XBOX ONE

Had to laugh when I read they spent $100 Million to design the Xbox One controller.  

It must have been $1 Million to make the updates to the controller, and $99 Million on hookers and drugs at a MS funded year long holiday in Tahiti 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/18/xbox-one-controller-smells-projector/#comments
Yeah, I laughed at that 100 million comment myself when it was first made. I was like, did I hear that right?

It really is just about the best controller I've ever held, but 100 million dollar good is pushing it. If they spent 100 mil on that controller, they deserve to loose the next gen battle for wasting that kind of money. I have to agree, it seems more likely that someone was milking the clock on this one.

Chris

Francis fights Major Nelson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-qxDdgiaWo

Then Boogie interviews him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_zMARwvY

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to laugh when I read they spent $100 Million to design the Xbox One controller.  

It must have been $1 Million to make the updates to the controller, and $99 Million on hookers and drugs at a MS funded year long holiday in Tahiti 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/18/xbox-one-controller-smells-projector/#comments
Yeah, I laughed at that 100 million comment myself when it was first made. I was like, did I hear that right?

It really is just about the best controller I've ever held, but 100 million dollar good is pushing it. If they spent 100 mil on that controller, they deserve to loose the next gen battle for wasting that kind of money. I have to agree, it seems more likely that someone was milking the clock on this one.

Chris
dont be so dense. you dont do rd on a single product. They probably created dozens of different controllers, tedted theonm large scale before endong up with this fonal version. thats how rd works

Chris
dont be so dense. you dont do rd on a single product. They probably created dozens of different controllers, tedted theonm large scale before endong up with this fonal version. thats how rd works
What happned to your English, mate? Are you typing on a virtual kb or something?

Chris
Uh, just so you know, the video I saw where they claimed 100 million was was used for R&D, they showed hundreds of prototypes(or at least it looked like hundreds), so no I'm not that "DENSE". I personally still don't know where the 100 Million went, as it's still a controller. It doesn't do anything that controllers haven't done for the last few gens of consoles.

Just because someone spends 100 million dollars on something, doesn't mean it was money well spent. Thanks again for your vast knowledge and "2 cents" on a subject everyone here knows as well as you.

Chris

Why do most of those youtube-newgen-console-freaks have such a severe eating disorder?

Is it, because most of them are 'Muricans?

Why do most of those youtube-newgen-console-freaks have such a severe eating disorder?

Is it, because most of them are 'Muricans?
Well that's a severe generalization. The guy you are referring to has made reference to his LARGE stature in past video's, and take it or leave it, it's who he is. If you look like Brad Piitt, it's doubtful you'll be sitting around making youtube video's to discuss new consoles, but maybe you would, I've never really paid much attention one way or another. I've seen several new gen videos where the person looks nothing like Francis. This particular guy does have a weight issue, but he's OK with it, so who are we to say otherwise.

Chris

You can now update your Xbox One offline (so it plays games rather than awaiting a connection), with a USB stick and a patch file from MS -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-21-how-to-update-xbox-one-without-connecting-it-to-the-internet

EDIT:

Aaaand... as soon as I had posted the above, Microsoft pulled the instructions on how to perform the update, and have mysteriously claimed the process will still require connection to LIVE - although they now say customer support will hold your hand through the process if you're feeble minded.

On the patch and instructions that appeared and then disappeared, Albert Penello added: "That file was never designed to replace the day one update," he said.

"It's a recovery file in case something goes wrong. Instead of risking customers get themselves into a bad state by installing the file, we are going to troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis. It is not a replacement for the online update."

Bonkers.

Boogie/Francis is awesome, a his large stature makes his Francis character so much better

Apparently some Tesco stores will have xbox ones available for sale tonight. No pre-orders, just walk in and buy. There should be big queues.

Boogie/Francis is awesome, a his large stature makes his Francis character so much better
Agreed, His character Francis is fricking hilarious IMO.  And , when he is himself in his videos, you couldn't ask for a nicer more down to earth person.

Gremlins? DDOS? They ain't sayin. Apparently all the XBox servers were offline just hours before launch overnight. Close!

It transpires that the (pulled) offline 'emergency' patch was to fix a set of problems with the required day one update - either getting stuck in a loop, failing completely or (worst of all) the 'E100' error (update borked, system has to go to MS for repair).

It seems one guy got his machine set up early, had the update problem, called MS support who ran him through using the (now gone) update patch, and when he did, although it worked, as soon as he went online he was banned - for using 'unauthorised' firmware!

http://n4g.com/news/1399122/xbox-one-user-does-emergency-offline-update-as-instructed-due-to-freezing-screen-gets-banned

So beware - people who downloaded the patch before it was pulled have been seeding it for others. Avoid.

^^ Hmmm, curiuos, better HW to match the PS4?.  

Every review seem to claim the PS4 has the better HW and gaming experience. Perhaps they are addressing the issue.  Might make people wait until early 2014.

I don't think they could improve the xbox one hardware without effecting backwards compatibility. Also owners of the now standard model would be mighty pissed.

Might be a sexier casing and a few subtle improvements.

^ Yeah your probably right.  hopefully some more leaks will come out , and we'll find out.

Back