Microsoft XBOX ONE

There was a story doing the rounds of a media-features only version - literally a Kinect equipped black box that didn't play games (at least, XBox One games) but was just for TV/Skype/Streaming services. Could be that, but I thought that it was too soon and would split their market.

I see the HDMI pass-through 'function' requires the XBox One to be on, which seems excessive.

Here's something I'd never thought of that has arisen - the HDMI pass-through function on the console enforces a 60hz refresh rate. So legacy PAL territories (inc Europe and Australia) who still have 50hz broadcasts, get dropped frames and 'juddery' movement on video fed through the feature -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721891

The most probable reason, I guess, why this was allowed to happen, is that switching refresh rates typically causes a brief 'blackout' on most TVs (at worst, you might even have to reselect input). The 'seamless' transition via Kinect commands between TV and gaming would be.. less seamless, if not darn ugly, if the refresh rate wasn't consistent.

It could also be one reason why so few TV features touted in the US have equivalents in PAL territories - watching TV this way is a downgrade from connecting the HDMI from your TV box directly to the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something I'd never thought of that has arisen - the HDMI pass-through function on the console enforces a 60hz refresh rate. ...
I always thought multiple HDMI inputs are quite common on modern day TVs - are people really planning on using this "feature"

Here's something I'd never thought of that has arisen - the HDMI pass-through function on the console enforces a 60hz refresh rate. ...
I always thought multiple HDMI inputs are quite common on modern day TVs - are people really planning on using this "feature"
It's central to their idea of using the XB1 as your media hub - with TV programming routed through it, they can overlay their own 'interactive' content (from advert targetting to actual interactive content within programming). So it's not an issue for 60hz territories, but it poses a bit of an issue for 50hz regions if the same functionality is to be implemented.

A few owners have noted that the forced 60hz is affecting other media not routed through HDMI - Netflix, Lovefilm etc. services, with content from or for 50hz regions is stuttering, as it too is forced out at 60hz to keep switching seamless. Blu Ray disc playback, apparently, works correctly - it has a less smooth transition as it switches to it's own rate.

It's central to their idea of using the XB1 as your media hub - with TV programming routed through it, they can overlay their own 'interactive' content (from advert targetting to actual interactive content within programming). So it's not an issue for 60hz territories, but it poses a bit of an issue for 50hz regions if the same functionality is to be implemented.

A few owners have noted that the forced 60hz is affecting other media not routed through HDMI - Netflix, Lovefilm etc. services, with content from or for 50hz regions is stuttering, as it too is forced out at 60hz to keep switching seamless. Blu Ray disc playback, apparently, works correctly - it has a less smooth transition as it switches to it's own rate.
Ah, thanks for the reminder, I thought we live in times were energy consumption should be reduced and "companion devices" (Smartglass anyone?) getting more and more common - seems having another device burn 30W/h+ for some lousy Internet Explorer overlay is what modern kids talk about.

Somebody discovered a way of forcing the UI (and therefore any 50hz content played onboard or via throughput) to display natively at 50hz:

"First, set your Xbox One to auto-detect HDMI (under Display settings). Then, toggle the resolution from 1080p to 720p (or vice versa), which should trigger a prompt window asking if the screen is displaying correctly, and if you want to keep the new resolution. Select “No” before the 15 seconds is up. This seems to trick the Xbox One into thinking that the TV is not compatible with 60Hz signal, and voila! 50Hz output."
There is a catch - although this will make all your media judder-free, the games still run at 60hz, so when forced to output at 50hz you get the judder effect (frame-dropping this time) on those instead.

Expect some manual rate switching options down the pipeline, I guess.

There go retro.  Fuck MS.  How can one collect games if there are no physical game discs?

On another note, gamestop are giving great bargains on xbox 360 games, hitman absolution and grid brand new and sealed for 20 euros?

I don't think I will be going next gen for another while yet.

Might pick up an xbox 360 pad or two on the cheap at some point also.

Apparently it is. Big vents, big fan, lower temperatures inside.

Apparently it is. Big vents, big fan, lower temperatures inside.
It's also much less powerful than the Xbox360 was at the time. Therefore less hot, too, because the AMD APU shit is no more than a low-end gaming PC, performance wise.

There go retro.  Fuck MS.  How can one collect games if there are no physical game discs?
You don't, you buy them all over again every time you change console. Just like on the Wii with the retro games you had on NES that you have to RE-BUY to play them, 25 years later (for stuff that should be public domain by now). These companies are all insulting users constantly.

Is it better than sony PS4 ?
Thats a matter of opinion. The ps4 is said to have the edge in power atm.

The xbox one's ui is poor and a few steps backwards compared to the xbox 360 dashboard.

There are pros and cons for both systems.

Personally I'm going ps4 this time around.

You don't, you buy them all over again every time you change console. Just like on the Wii with the retro games you had on NES that you have to RE-BUY to play them, 25 years later (for stuff that should be public domain by now). These companies are all insulting users constantly.
It could get even worse with contemporary titles, when you don't own software, they can withdraw or change it at any time. It could be something like music licensing in-game changing, or withdrawal when 'surprise' content is discovered - or simply to force players onto a sequel.

Yeah.I heard that some people get their ps4 broken from purchase ..Sony isn't more company it was before.

Yeah.I heard that some people get their ps4 broken from purchase ..Sony isn't more company it was before.
They've both had some DOA units, but the XB1 appears to have a broader spectrum of early problems, their support forums makes for interesting reading.

Back