Microsoft XBOX ONE

I may wait awhile as there are many good games on the 360 for me to get thru' currently. But after a bit I will get a 720 or whatever it's called. Bills Big Bugger?

Well, thats rubbish news however dont find it suprising in the slightest. Think am going for the new xbox if i get a new console. Sony are 1 step away from joining apple on my banned for life list, and there deffo gonna do something to hack me off before their new console arrives so think the new playstation is going to be out of the question.

I may wait awhile as there are many good games on the 360 for me to get thru' currently. But after a bit I will get a 720 or whatever it's called. Bills Big Bugger?

Ever played the Mass effect trilogy?

My favorite rpg series of this gen, awesome story and gameplay.

So this is a highish end PC, with no Optical disk drive, that forces you to download DVDs worth of data at your own expense, and over which the user (who paid several hundred pounds for it) has no rights and no control, that cannot play second-hand games, despite a recent rulling that allows the resale of downloaded content.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that it will be able to emulate the xbox 360 - though at first, only the bare bones will be emulated, but with optimisation it will get faster and more complete, until the code is able to emulate a 360 on the old XBox 1!

It's voodoo, I tell you.

D.

Played 3/4's of part 2 never got around to part 2. The dlc continuing the story hacked me off too much to bother finishing 2 let alone buying 3. Current games in my sights are dragons dogma, dishonoured, far cry 3, witcher 2, gravity rush ps vita, transformers etc.so many game so little time.

Played 3/4's of part 2 never got around to part 2. The dlc continuing the story hacked me off too much to bother finishing 2 let alone buying 3. Current games in my sights are dragons dogma, dishonoured, far cry 3, witcher 2, gravity rush ps vita, transformers etc.so many game so little time.

The witcher 2 is great!

Some details of a Xbox 720 dev box are circulating with apparently some specs leaked like a 8 core intel CPU.
This looks more like ill conceived dreams then anything realistic.

If you chain those two seperate claims together like that, that's a server CPU as there are no client 8-core Intel CPUs due to the thermals. In other words very slow clock speeds that are suited more for running VM sessions that individually don't demand much, but not really suited to games where a shorter time to execute is desirable. Given the rather severe thermal problems Ivy Bridge has already demonstrated versus Sandy Bridge, a client octocore worth producing shouldn't be possible this cycle. The Haswell redesign might allow that in 2013, but that'd required launching no earlier then 2014, supposing Microsoft wanted to try vendoring from Intel again after the debacle Intel helped to create with the original XBox.

More likely is that Microsoft sprung for high end computer systems to developers in order to get feedback in order to then draw up the specs fox an Xbox Mk.3. Much like they've historically approached developers in order to design the next DirectX standard. In which case they're more then a year out, unless they're going to rush things, because they're still figuring out the spec sheet.

This interpretation of an Intel Octocore with or without dual GPUs would require them to be designing a home console that consumes something on the order of 500 Watts and would need to be much larger profile with a much more serious cooling system then current. Given the known issues with Intel octocores, possibly water cooled. Such a thing would also be on the order of $1,000 and price out the market of people with a poor understanding of TCO. Subsidizing such a thing to a price people would accept wouldn't be practical through exploiting people's lack of recognition of TCO, and would radically screw up Microsoft's financial situation if sold in significant quantities.

[/\]

So yeah, I'm calling this nonsensical rumors on the basis of the thermals and financial sides. The reality behind it is almost assuredly that Microsoft is currently in the process of developing a specification sheet, where among other things the value of using an octocore is being evaluated. That means we're probably looking at, at least 2 years to launching an actual product.

On the other hand this same grade of news sights was claiming developers were getting XBox 720 boxes, in computer cases, over a year ago which they don't even acknowledge in this one. So there's nothing to say it's based on anything more then rumblings of fanboys around the Internet campfire who were influenced a little too heavily by "Nintendon't" and similar marketing efforts that followed. If Sony or Microsoft intended to try to foul Nintendo's launch of the Wii U there's no reason they shouldn't have said something at this years E3.

Someone may have mistaken 8 thread for 8 core. Or maybe the dev box really does have a Xeon, I mean it's a $10k machine so it's not outside the realm of possibility I suppose. But the real thing to keep in mind is that the specs of the dev box don't really dictate the specs of the release unit..

Going to mirror the sentiment at least that the odds of the next XBox having an 8 core Intel x86 CPU are very unlikely. That'd be one hell of a waste of die area, thermal budget, etc.

Some details of a Xbox 720 dev box are circulating with apparently some specs leaked like a 8 core intel CPU.
This looks more like ill conceived dreams then anything realistic.

If you chain those two seperate claims together like that, that's a server CPU as there are no client 8-core Intel CPUs due to the thermals.
Perhaps they mean a hyperthreaded quad core. I can imagine people confusing that with an octacore.

[edit]Ninja'd :ph34r: [/edit]

No used games? Ouch, this combined with windows 8 is going to drive microsoft into the ground. It actually seems like they purposely want to do this to themselves.

No used games would be too divisive I don't think they will do that per se.They won't alienate their customers. It may occur indirectly with strong incentives to buy new games etc.

It's probably been discussed though.

No used games? Why is it only the video game companies that see a problem in buying things used? Music producers don't whine about stores like sound exchange selling used CD's/Vinyl. Movie producers don't whine about stores selling used DVD's. Authors never bitched about libraries. So why should game devs feel like they have the right to bitch about used games?

The thing is, they can't pull the no used game bit off for one very important reason: That will actually increase game piracy. The reason for this is really quite simple. They'd make it necessary for even legally purchased products to be cracked just to function. When you buy a used game, you've already paid for it once, you sure as hell aren't gonna pay for it want to pay for it again. That gives the pirate demographic some legitimacy & more people will side with them than before. I've seen that happen time & time again with various attempts at DRM. This time it would be worse because either the validation tools would be so strict they're unusable or the very thing pirates will be exploiting to make their bootleg game copies work.

Also, there's an issue with screwing over game rental places with that as well. So, there's another industry that would be against restrictions on game reselling. Combine that with some consumers being put off by consoles for that(among other reasons).

I don't think they'd be quite that stupid yet.

I like the idea of restricting the reselling market. My job relies on console gaming's DRM functioning well, and this sounds just the ticket - I could really make a whole boatload of cash if they pull this off.

D.

In a way it's not anything new. For example if you purchase a game on ios it's not possible to on sell it. Another person is forced to buy it a fresh and download it from app store. The difference is that ios and mobile games generally are dirt cheap, so it really doesn't matter that much. On the other hand Console games are frickin expensive, so unless the plan is to also drop the price of console games, a lot of people are not going to be happy - like myself who has always just bought second hand games. Hopefully it just stays a rumor.

As for the processor it will have , who knows, however, if you look at the xbox cpu's.

The Xbox had a 733Mhz Pentium 3

The Xbox 360 had a 3.2 Ghz PowerPC Tri-core Xenon

Stands to reason the Xbox 720 will have more than a quad or six core - that would just be to small a progression(especially after 8 years). Mind you it probably wont be out until the end of 2013. I think there is a fair chance it will be an 8 core system or at least 2 quad core processors , but who knows, time will tell.

People shouldn't forget how successful Steam is, even though it is loaded with DRM, and prevents trading of used games. In theory Steam represents everything bad about digital delivery, yet it has done nothing but good for PC gaming. And gamers don't just tolerate it, they love it.

I'm not saying MS is going to pull off something as good as Steam (in fact they're bound to f*ck it up somehow), but I'm sure that's the model they'll be looking at.

People shouldn't forget how successful Steam is, even though it is loaded with DRM, and prevents trading of used games. In theory Steam represents everything bad about digital delivery, yet it has done nothing but good for PC gaming. And gamers don't just tolerate it, they love it.

I'm not saying MS is going to pull off something as good as Steam (in fact they're bound to f*ck it up somehow), but I'm sure that's the model they'll be looking at.

The segment of gamers that traditionaly buy new games would love steam , easy and simple way for them to get games.

Those that don't traditionally buy new games , like me, hate it.

In theory Steam makes up for it with their sales. You can always save a big chunk off retail if you time it right, and there's a whole catalogue of cheap games ($2.50 - $10.00) all year round.

I think I've only paid full retail for one major release on Steam (Skyrim, because I wanted it straight away). For most other things I wait until there's a good discount. And it's always cheaper than buying the 360 version pre-owned from EB Games.

[edit] But as mentioned, I don't expect this kind of experience to come with the Xbox 720.

It's a bit of a shift when you think about it. Traditionally if you bought a new game , you owned it, played it until you were bored then sold it to recoup some of your money to buy another game.

Now, you don't own the game, you have a kind of sole non-transferable lease on it, you cant onsell it to recoup money, so it's cash all down the shitter when you grow tired of it. This is what I find most disturbing, to me it's like they are taking your right of ownership away.

Back