MicroUSB 3.0 connector robustness

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
How sturdy is the micro USB 3.0 connector on the Pyra? I worry because the one on my external hard drive seems flimsy, and disconnects internally if it moves too much.

Have you tried with different cables? I've heard of surface mount micro USB sockets physically coming off boards, but in my experience cheap cables are usually the culprit if power or data is intermittent.

The Pyra one shouldn't come off the board as easily, as IIRC it's thru hole mounted. I'll leave it to you to validate that assertion if you care about it; I've not checked the photos recently.

Out of all my devices with micro USB3 connectors I've only had one that is loose and it was on a really cheap hard drive enclosure. I think if they are connected to the board correctly they're pretty robust.

As for it being loose, like the cable comes out, I had a 6 foot USB 3.0 cable and the connector end was just a little bit bigger, like just barley visibly bigger, and it would make the connectors loose on devices. The cable was an early USB 3 cable, like out within the first year, so I think it was just not manufactured to spec, so I don't think that should be a problem anymore. I ended up cutting it up for the wires inside to use for some electronic projects so I wouldn't loosen anymore of my devices.

I'm not sure about micro USB-3 cables specicially, but microUSB 2 plugs have little lugs or clips on them that stop them coming out easily. If something's been at the socket previously and stretched it open, that won't help though, since the plug will then be able to rock in the socket.

Have you tried with different cables? I've heard of surface mount micro USB sockets physically coming off boards, but in my experience cheap cables are usually the culprit if power or data is intermittent.

The Pyra one shouldn't come off the board as easily, as IIRC it's thru hole mounted. I'll leave it to you to validate that assertion if you care about it; I've not checked the photos recently.
Yes I have two cables. One was definitely bad so I threw it out but the other one doesn't work too well either.

Back