Release Midori 0.3.6

Has anyone else noticed that in some pages (this forum for instance) when you go back the screen doesn't refresh, and it does it only while you scroll up and down.

Its very stable actually. way better than any of the other browsers I have tried (Chronium, Firefox, Lightweight2, Fennec).

The pnd is in PNDStore, but it doesn't have flash(you can copy it from firefox if you have that on your pandora)

EDIT:Damn missed there was a page 2

Edit 2: And by page 2 I mean 3 :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried playing a ogg video on tinyvid.tv and it was really slow... I don't think it was HD either.

H264 on youtube (or maybe it was Webm?) does not seem to work at all (black block)

Otherwise it's a good, fast browser. I hope it makes it into the next firware update. I can't think of a reason why not though.

It does need to be the default browser IMO, it's great.

Midori IS the default browser, it was from the very beginning.

We just also included Arora because the old version of Midori our ancient OE uses has those rendering errors and likes to crash.

That's the reason we wanted to move to the recent OE tree for a while, but DJWillis was catched with real life stuff.

He actively started to work on it again yesterday and as it looks like we'll have a first version of the next OS ready to test for everyone soon :)

No, the old utterly crap version is the default browser, this version here is totally different as the thread shows.

No, the old utterly crap version is the default browser, this version here is totally different as the thread shows.

Um, this is exactly what I've written in my post.

HotFix 6 will have this Midori build as the default then?

Most probably not, as HF6 is still based on the ancient OE we are using, and this version doesn't work on that (unless someone puts a lot of work into it).

That's the reason we're heavily working on moving to the current OE version. A first working image for everyone to try out might be out next week (depending on DJWillis time) :)

Can we have that and future betas as a PND? I don't wanna reflash and lose all my customizations, but I don't wanna be behind and repeat the process six times or so either.

DJWillis mentioned that he wanted to make them available for installation to SD card so you could just dual-boot without losing your stable firmware.

I don't want to dual-boot, I want to go for it with both barrels. I'll let everybody else do the testing, then go when the coast is clear. I'd sooner upgrade via PND than via reflash.

Oh, well I think you might be screwed then, but I can't say for sure. Dual-booting is the right way to go though. New firmware isn't actually better firmware until the bugs have been fixed.

Um, this is exactly what I've written in my post.

I'm kinda relieved. So Craig may not misinterpreting what people are saying willfully, but simply because he doesn't carefully read what they write.

This is actually a lot more reassuring.

That's the reason we wanted to move to the recent OE tree for a while, but DJWillis was catched with real life stuff.
He actively started to work on it again yesterday and as it looks like we'll have a first version of the next OS ready to test for everyone soon :)
This is wonderful news. Please also take a look at the suggestions here, if possible!

Most probably not, as HF6 is still based on the ancient OE we are using, and this version doesn't work on that (unless someone puts a lot of work into it).

That's the reason we're heavily working on moving to the current OE version. A first working image for everyone to try out might be out next week (depending on DJWillis time) :)
I didn't even know about the incompatibilities and what HF6 was based on. Thank you for the explanation.

For some reason I am forced to use the "HTML only" gmail interface.
I think one of the way it works is that it identifies itself as mobile device, so servers offer content which they think is most suited for mobile phones. There's probably a USER_AGENT string you can change somewhere.

Has anyone else noticed that in some pages (this forum for instance) when you go back the screen doesn't refresh, and it does it only while you scroll up and down.
Yeah - me too. Happens here when looking at a package and then going back again.

Another minor annoyance is that the "Save As" dialog doesn't always show up properly (just a grey box with no buttons in it) so you have to guess where the button should be and click that!

Well, I happily eat my shoes :)

So did you need to hack 0.3.6 to get it to run properly on default firmware?

Isn't it best to have a browser as PND, since a browser installed on the NAND will store everything in the NAND as well (and possibly fill it up)?

Or is it possible to include a browser in the firmware that stores everything on the SD-card? In that case it might still be better to have it as PND to prevent trouble when switching SD's I guess. If you have the wrong SD you also don't have the browser on it, so nothing can get messed up. Also updates can be done without the need of a hotfix.

Back