Minitube

mali said:
Paddy, did you install the codec pack after reflashing?

Ahh you are right ,need to get that codec pack and hotfox on now cheers for the smart thinking :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
mcobit said:
Bosbeetle said:
sebt3 said:
laurens said:
Should be very possible; it's just 2 libs; While it's not repackaged, you could dl the .ipk, extract them using ar, stick them in a temp. folder, and add that folder to the libs searchpath. In theory :)
Sure I could do this. but why ? these libs belong to the nand : any multimedia QT apps will need them anyway.

Then ask ED to put them in hotfix3

Yes, because else it won't be a simple Download -> Run thing and could confuse people.
I think apps like this that need libs could do with having a lib install prompt?
The first time you run the PND it could ask "These libs are needed to make this program work, would you like to install these to your NAND?(Needs active internet connection)"

i agree with the prompt to install libs idea and this app is what iv been waiting for its freaking amazing now all we need is for it to work in the browser too :)

slow as a week in the jail,you know i was kinda expecting it to run like that,the pandora wifi is messed up so it could be that but also i think it could be just like the same issue i had with my dell mini9 with ubuntu and flash content.

what a shame as that app is alot like totem player and it looks great.

just tried pausing the vid for a few mins but it still stops,mabe there is no cache or low cache,i still vote for totem with you-tube and bbci player and that would be a great item to promote the pandora with.

scrub all that we need wifi fixed,its slow for everyone and sometimes my pandora struggles streaming online radio so video will only be alot worse.

paddy said:
slow as a week in the jail,you know i was kinda expecting it to run like that,the pandora wifi is messed up so it could be that but also i think it could be just like the same issue i had with my dell mini9 with ubuntu and flash content.

what a shame as that app is alot like totem player and it looks great.

just tried pausing the vid for a few mins but it still stops,mabe there is no cache or low cache,i still vote for totem with you-tube and bbci player and that would be a great item to promote the pandora with.

scrub all that we need wifi fixed,its slow for everyone and sometimes my pandora struggles streaming online radio so video will only be alot worse.

This isn't playing any flash content at all.
What this program does is requests youtube's mp4 stream for that video, all youtube's content is stored as mp4 as well as flv.

I have also experienced the same same lagg issues with this app as you and probably others and to try and remedy this I pause the video for 20-30 secs then start playing so it has enough time to buffer/cache some video content to play.

I'm thinking that the reason for the lagg is something to do with the wifi on the Pandora. Maybe where its writing the data to and how fast it can write to the memory card or nand before it can be read by the app itself, that is unless its caching direcly to RAM which would make more sense.

Thanks so much for this!
Great to finally have youtube on my pandora.

Its choppy for me at times also. Choosing lower quality and pausing seems to help though. To bad it only works with youtube.

PokeParadox said:
I think apps like this that need libs could do with having a lib install prompt?
The first time you run the PND it could ask "These libs are needed to make this program work, would you like to install these to your NAND?(Needs active internet connection)"
Then you end up with dozens of PNDs installing libs that are only needed by that one app. This practice should be discouraged, I think. The PND format already has the ability to include libraries right within itself; that should be encouraged, I think. This way you do not rely on whether someone has installed a particular library or not, and especially don't rely on them having an active internet connection.
I would rather see a couple hundred KB duplicated across multiple PNDs than a couple of MB of single use libraries cluttering up my NAND, libraries which would then have to be redownloaded should you ever need to reflash.
If a library does become popular enough that more than a few apps are using it a bug report can be made to have it added to the NAND.

WizardStan said:
PokeParadox said:
Then you end up with dozens of PNDs installing libs that are only needed by that one app. This practice should be discouraged, I think. The PND format already has the ability to include libraries right within itself; that should be encouraged, I think. This way you do not rely on whether someone has installed a particular library or not, and especially don't rely on them having an active internet connection.
I would rather see a couple hundred KB duplicated across multiple PNDs than a couple of MB of single use libraries cluttering up my NAND, libraries which would then have to be redownloaded should you ever need to reflash.
If a library does become popular enough that more than a few apps are using it a bug report can be made to have it added to the NAND.

that's a good point, you my friend have a way with words :)

Ok, tested it myself now, that i am at home. I'm sitting in front of my router here and get no fluid playback.
It seems like the initial few mb or kb get streamed fast, then the transfer is slowed down.

I hope wifi will get faster in the future. Come on guys, ipod-touch 2g can do youtube over wifi. The pandora shoud be able to do it too.

To be fair, youtube on ipod touch 2g also sucks at 75% of times. Mostly It takes ages to buffer and i prefer to download them via mxtube before watching them. It's AWEFUL.

Does minitube allow preloading multiple videos at once? What about mp4/flv download?
Is flv viewing allowed? Noticed there are some videos that have broken mp4s, i.e. dont work on my ipod touch 2g at all ...

Even my Ipod Touch 1G has better WIFI speed and reception than the Pandora. Just saying...

SomeGuy99 said:
Even my Ipod Touch 1G has better WIFI speed and reception than the Pandora. Just saying...
I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to qualify this and only found a couple of actual numbers: one person gave their download speed as 32KB/s (I suspect he was having actual wifi troubls) and another of about 450KB/s. However, I did find a few more pages and youtube clips suggesting that: second gen is twice as fast as first; and second gen apparently tops out at about 900KB/s. So the 450KB/s cap for 1G seems accurate.
So if these sparse measurements are correct, the Pandora has a wifi chip more like the 2G than 1G. Unless you had some kind of super iPod, of course. Or your Pandora's wifi is having some kind of problem, not unlike the first guy I mentioned that couldn't exceed 32KB/s.

Wolfsclaw said:
To be fair, youtube on ipod touch 2g also sucks at 75% of times. Mostly It takes ages to buffer and i prefer to download them via mxtube before watching them. It's AWEFUL.

Does minitube allow preloading multiple videos at once? What about mp4/flv download?
Is flv viewing allowed? Noticed there are some videos that have broken mp4s, i.e. dont work on my ipod touch 2g at all ...

I don't believe there is a direct download option but there is an option to get the link to the video file which is a temporary link meaning it changes so you cannot cant use the link say in 10 minutes as it would no longer be valid, but if you put that url in a browser right away it will proceed to download the video in mp4 format :) yay still wish this application didn't lagg Im pretty confident its the Pandora's wifi that's causing this issue maybe if mweston looked into this or the guy that does the drivers (sorry for not knowning names) we could actually solve the wifi issues perminantly.

WizardStan said:
I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to qualify this and only found a couple of actual numbers:

Well the speed may be a perceptual thing, but (anecdotally speaking) the range and reception on my 1G surpasses that of my Pandora.

SomeGuy99 said:
WizardStan said:
I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to qualify this and only found a couple of actual numbers:

Well the speed may be a perceptual thing, but (anecdotally speaking) the range and reception on my 1G surpasses that of my Pandora.
The problem with vague perceptions is that they don't tell us anything. Can't say much about the range, but if you were to find a static web page with a substantial number of images and things, something that takes a reasonably noticeable length of time (45 seconds or so), and using a stopwatch record how long both your iPod and Pandora take to download this particular page, we can then figure out exactly how much both have downloaded in that length of time and establish if there's anything actually amiss. There's lots of reasons why something might appear to be moving faster when it is, in fact, not, especially when it comes to web browsing, so this is actually a really terrible way of comparing speed.
Of course, the best way to compare speed would be a raw tcp dump. Easy enough to do on the Pandora, don't think it's possible on the iPod, so we'll have to stick with as close a comparison as we can get: web page load times.

That's why I was trying to dismiss my speed claims and focus on the reception and range. My Pandora can't connect to the same wifi points as my 1G can... and this is testing from the same position. Yes, it's anecdotal evidence.

Unfortunately I can't test it right now, as the Ipod Touch is out on loan.

Lets face the fact the pandora turned out to be a fat burds ass in the summer heat trying to get a cold one at the nearest ice cream van.

:p

paddy said:
Lets face the fact the pandora turned out to be a fat burds ass in the summer heat trying to get a cold one at the nearest ice cream van.

:p

The Pandora turned out to be sexy?

Back