"monaco Gp2x", 2d Racer Inspired By Sega's Monaco Gp

I'm in contruction of a 30 second lvl now 2jame. With the lvl editor I can make quick adjustments to my lvl thx.

Short fun game :)

Btw I have a sugguestion that the time be extended to 60 seconds.

fusion_power said:
Is such a Editor possible for the GP2X itself? :)
I guess it could be. with touchscreen support etc...

I'm just sharing my windows version for now that I made to help me build the level (the game level "01.lvl" is shared between the gp2x and pc, but the windows editor actually edits it). Sorry no linux chaps :)

Animotion said:
I'm in contruction of a 30 second lvl now 2jame. With the lvl editor I can make quick adjustments to my lvl thx.

Short fun game :)

Btw I have a sugguestion that the time be extended to 60 seconds.
Nice one! I'm looking forward to a bash on your level once its ready.

Fair comment on 60 seconds... I'll consider it. If it really takes off then maybe 5 themed stages with 60 seconds each. Featuring levels designed by users....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the laugh I decided to see if I could get the level editor running under linux using wine. It came pretty close.

Instructions (Ubuntu 7.10):
open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install wine
and enter your password to install wine

copy MSVBVM60.DLL from C:\WINDOWS\System32 on a WindowsXP machine to
/home/<your name>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

download the map editor and extract zip file
right click on the .exe file and go to the "open with" tab
scroll to the end and choose "wine"
click "apply" and close the dialogue
double click on the .exe

The editor will run, and you can choose a map but an error occurs when you try to choose the location of the resource folder.

level_editor.png

error.png

Hope that's interesting to someone!
Have fun!

tmb_ayebe said:
Just for the laugh I decided to see if I could get the level editor running under linux using wine. It came pretty close.

double click on the .exe

The editor will run, and you can choose a map but an error occurs when you try to choose the location of the resource folder.

level_editor.png

error.png

Hope that's interesting to someone!
Have fun!

Cool... I remember doing something like that when I tried to get my Linksys wireless pci driver to work in a wrapper under red hat Linux.

I think the issue is when it tries to instantiate the windows dialog to search for the folder.

I'm doing a mod today on the editor so I’ll relax the rules so you can type the path into the resources text box and hit enter. Not promising anything, but you never know.

J

edit 1: v0.5.2 of the editor is up.... You can now copy and paste into the text boxs. I've also fixed something else that was winding me up when I was adjusting my new levels. Have a play or just ignore and delete :-D

Awesome! Thanks to your changes, the map editor now runs on linux!

Complete instructions for anyone wishing to give it a try:

double click on the .exe

The map editor will run
Choose the location of the map you wish to edit using the file dialogue at the end of the path bar
eg: e:\monacoGP\_resources\01.lvl
Cut and paste this location (use crtl-c ctrl-v) into the resources path bar, and delete the name of the map from the end.
eg: e:\monacoGP\_resources

Then click "load graphics" and you're away!

Thanks Jamie

tmb_ayebe said:
Awesome! Thanks to your changes, the map editor now runs on linux!

Complete instructions for anyone wishing to give it a try:

...snip
quite simply that is "bloody marvelous!" :D

Thanks to you helping me as a linux tester we were able to get the level editor running under linux Ubuntu 7.10.

Nice work twojame.

As someone currently stuck in "90% complete" project limbo (a game and an emulation project, both with crippling bugs), I'm jealously impressed! Very playable game, and great for a quick blast while waiting for the bus to negotiate morning traffic. Keep up the good work :)

Any future plans for other games?

tmb_ayebe said:
Glad to be of some assistance.

Say, do you mind if we mod the graphics as well as the maps?
Thank you for the help.. I look forward to some crazy levels from you guys :) . Hopefully I'd like to mention the people who have assisted in a contributor section at some stage. Soon as I get around to writing it...

I think regarding the graphics i'd like to keep them stock for the moment. Largely due to the fact i'm still working on the game...

Also I'm hoping to meet with a publisher soon for a fully fleshed out port and I want them to see the game in its original format by me. In addition i'm still putting features into the game and fixing issues which are related to the original tile set and how I apply the logic (flip light on if x). In other words i'm still firming up the game logic and the varying tiles and tile types that we can have.

However i'll consider this going forward (maybe a tileset resource option selector or something like that....) and thanks for actually asking. I appreciate that...

fishybawb said:
Nice work twojame.

As someone currently stuck in "90% complete" project limbo (a game and an emulation project, both with crippling bugs), I'm jealously impressed! Very playable game, and great for a quick blast while waiting for the bus to negotiate morning traffic. Keep up the good work :)

Any future plans for other games?
Thanks for the kind comments. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance as a game tester to help you with your project. My time is limited, but I'm sure I can help.

I'm planning to use the same tile based technology and level editor for another game which is already named, but I cant say yet. Still thats just in my mind at the moment. Monaco GP2x is only 50% of what my vision is for the game... I've got some cool stuff in the pipeline for Monaco GP2x that i'm sure everyone will love...

This is my first video game and i'm loving going through the process. It's such a hard thing to do though... Really tough. Now I really do have the upmost respect for video game developers.

twojame said:
I think regarding the graphics i'd like to keep them stock for the moment. Largely due to the fact i'm still working on the game...

oh well I didn't mean that you would have to use my graphics in your version. But it's ok, I'll hold off.

tmb_ayebe said:
twojame said:

oh well I didn't mean that you would have to use my graphics in your version. But it's ok, I'll hold off.

Thanks chap... and no worries. I'll certainly consider it going forward... I just dont want anyone modfying it and releasing their own versions. I want this game thats taken me a good 6 months to develop programming work including graphics and all to demonstrate my ability and skill (this is my first c++ game). Hopefully I want to get future work based on the back of this :) . However as said I will consider this going forward. Perhaps after version 1 anyone with this interest could approach me formally (you know my website) and I'll consider it.

In the meantime I'm always open to chatting with inspired folk such as yourself who could help me improve things.

Anyway, back to more coding... :)

J

edit 1: I've just put my finishing touches to the new Ice Driving effect and i'm quite happy with it. Nip over to my website to take a look and err...let me know what you think. Thanks... J . Any further updates i'll put on my website since I don't feel it's fair on others to keep bumping up this thread.

edit 2: 0.8.4 is on my website...

I really like this game. It's a cool little racer and I love the retro like graphics. I do remember the arcade game that it's inspired by.

I find it quite hard, but maybe I need more practice :) Good work!

smoothbuggly said:
I really like this game. It's a cool little racer and I love the retro like graphics. I do remember the arcade game that it's inspired by.

I find it quite hard, but maybe I need more practice :) Good work!
thanks and i'm glad that you like it :) Have you tried the level editor? Some people have sent me their levels and I couldnt believe the game could work like that! Very cool how other people think about how a level could be... So much so that I'm even thinking of holding a level designing competion with some wii/live points as the reward. We'll see....

I've got a gameplay feature in development to make it a touch easier. However when you crash try moving off the road and wait for a break in the traffic before belting off again. :) I've got 2700 points using this technique on the gp2x version.

J

2700? now your kicking my ass. I was going to suggest maybe an invulnerability period after crashing so repeated crashes trying to get back on the road don't happen. However, it seems its just a matter of technique and timing in getting back on the road if you're getting 2700 so I'd forget that except maybe as for an easy option.

Any way to play custom levels? would be nice to be able to select different tracks with separate high scores for each kind of like sqdef.

You said you have a feature in development to make it a touch easier? Is it my suggestion for taking into account more minor collisions like barely touching tires on the side? or something completely different. Anyway I'm still enjoying the game and keep looking for new update.

jbrodack said:
2700? now your kicking my ass. I was going to suggest maybe an invulnerability period after crashing so repeated crashes trying to get back on the road don't happen. However, it seems its just a matter of technique and timing in getting back on the road if you're getting 2700 so I'd forget that except maybe as for an easy option.

Any way to play custom levels? would be nice to be able to select different tracks with separate high scores for each kind of like sqdef.

You said you have a feature in development to make it a touch easier? Is it my suggestion for taking into account more minor collisions like barely touching tires on the side? or something completely different. Anyway I'm still enjoying the game and keep looking for new update.
Hi there,

yeah there is abit of a technique to getting back on the road after a crash. I've been researching how they do it in other games and it would seem that after a crash the car is positioned offroad then you can go when there is a break in the traffic. This avoids repeated crashing. I just use this method as a gameplay technique for now. Thats how I got 2700 points :)

Your suggestion is cool and im playing around with some dynamic crash code. The contact point and velocity + angle will determine to what level the car crashes. If I dont go to this level of detail then i'll maybe not slow the car down as much for minor crashes. The jury is still out on this one. The games that i've been inspired by do a full crash for any contact. We'll see, but your suggestion is very sound.

I'm considering a sevice mode where you can select levels etc. For now you have to backup "01.lvl" and then rename your level. The game picks it up then...

Ey what do you think to the ice driving?

Thanks again for your feedback.

J

the ice driving seems nicely implemented. makes things a bit harder but not to the point where you have no control. wouldn't change anything related to that. would be interesting to see a whole ice based track.

I guess a big reason I'm pushing for different reactions to collisions is that say on bridges its especially hard not to just tap the side of another car a bit. You don't need to be realistic or anything as this is inspired by an old arcade game before people started thinking games should be realistic. Just think a light collision should be given some leeway kind of like you have skidding if you're just a bit off road.

still no matter what its a fun game just giving suggestions.

jbrodack said:
the ice driving seems nicely implemented. makes things a bit harder but not to the point where you have no control. wouldn't change anything related to that. would be interesting to see a whole ice based track.

I guess a big reason I'm pushing for different reactions to collisions is that say on bridges its especially hard not to just tap the side of another car a bit. You don't need to be realistic or anything as this is inspired by an old arcade game before people started thinking games should be realistic. Just think a light collision should be given some leeway kind of like you have skidding if you're just a bit off road.

still no matter what its a fun game just giving suggestions.
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. Thanks for the constructive comments. They really help...

I'm still working out the actual crash/reset mechanic so i'll let you guys know how it's going.

bye for now

edit 1 03/04/08 : New version v0.9.5 with 15 fps gain! :) It's now as smooth as silk... Fake alpha blend on UI which I wanted to do for ages... Remember to copy resources over replacing all files. Enjoy!

Back