More numbers, late again :) (2011 - 04 - 05)

It probably isn't relevent to be in this forum. Anyway, I just wanted to say...

It is always interesting to come back to the forums not because of the latest Pandora news, but the moaning and bitching that appears in practically all topics.

I ordered my Pandora around September 2010. I was told that if I pre-ordered ASAP, I was 'Garantueed' to get it by Christmas. It is April now and I am not moaning one bit. Why? Because this is a unique project and proud to be part of such. Sure, I would LOVE to have the Pandora at my door step, but I am more than happy to wait!

I know a number of you have ordered WELL BEFORE Sept 2010. However, it will arrive!

Stop moaning!!

Keep up the great work Pandora team. Work as hard as you can... but please don't make yourselves ill! Myself, and others, appreciate what your doing!

All the best
Try feeling so happy about it when the total amount of money you have is down to single figures and it's been a year (well eleven months today) since you ordered. Seriously; I'm glad I live with my parents, even at the age of twenty-one. When I ordered mine in May last year, I was told I'd get it by the end of the month. I'd hung around and waited before ordering, waited purposefully until the buggers were shipping before ordering; that way I'd get my Pandora without spending ages out of pocket. Well, here we are nearly a year later.

The use for which I ordered my Pandora is now rapidly expiring. It looks like the only use I'll be able to find for it, after all, is playing SNES games, because, given the changes that have happened in hardware requirements since 2008, running anything other than VI in one xterm and compiling code in another would just be asking too much.

Yes, that's what I said. The Pandora's outdated by three years. Old tech, no longer capable of being what it's billed as. And I ain't changing that opinion 'till it's in my hand, successfully watching Epic Mealtime and downloading a few torrents, while compiling the latest source drop of ncurses.

No, the shipper has to change the address. Call the shop you ordered from or email with something like Urgent UPS Shipping change in your subject line if you can't phone.
I think you can change your own address with UPS as well, or at least you can in England because that's what I plan to do to get my pandora sent to my work if I happen to be there that day.

Yes, that's what I said. The Pandora's outdated by three years. Old tech, no longer capable of being what it's billed as. And I ain't changing that opinion 'till it's in my hand, successfully watching Epic Mealtime and downloading a few torrents, while compiling the latest source drop of ncurses.

It surely is outdated. One reason I ordered was that the Pandora would have been the first OMAP3-device.

Well, when I get it, it is the last :)

Its purpose is now to build a user and developer base to be there when the next Pandora comes out.

Luckily other reasons for me to buy it were using Atai800, c64, ST, AMIGA and SNES emulators. And I think for these particular reasons it is NOT outdated.

It surely is outdated.

Yup! I think by now it is a little bit on the outdated side of things, but hey most electronics are outdated the second you press the buy button (and also instantly sold cheaper somewhere else). I guess I bought it more for its ability to fit in my pocket + being awesome + not mainstream. Eh, don't mind if its a little outdated, after all i've been using an eee pc 701 while I wait XD.

The Pandora isn't outdated! Maybe some of it's hardware is but what you don't realise until you have it in your hands is that something like the Pandora can never be outdated until the Pandora 2 arrives. It is a unique piece of kit and there is literally nothing of it's form factor to replace it.

It is always interesting to come back to the forums not because of the latest Pandora news, but the moaning and bitching that appears in practically all topics.

I ordered my Pandora around September 2010. I was told that if I pre-ordered ASAP, I was 'Garantueed' to get it by Christmas. It is April now and I am not moaning one bit. Why? Because this is a unique project and proud to be part of such. Sure, I would LOVE to have the Pandora at my door step, but I am more than happy to wait!

I know a number of you have ordered WELL BEFORE Sept 2010. However, it will arrive!

Stop moaning!!

Keep up the great work Pandora team. Work as hard as you can... but please don't make yourselves ill! Myself, and others, appreciate what your doing!

All the best
Try feeling so happy about it when the total amount of money you have is down to single figures and it's been a year (well eleven months today) since you ordered. Seriously; I'm glad I live with my parents, even at the age of twenty-one. When I ordered mine in May last year, I was told I'd get it by the end of the month. I'd hung around and waited before ordering, waited purposefully until the buggers were shipping before ordering; that way I'd get my Pandora without spending ages out of pocket. Well, here we are nearly a year later.

The use for which I ordered my Pandora is now rapidly expiring. It looks like the only use I'll be able to find for it, after all, is playing SNES games, because, given the changes that have happened in hardware requirements since 2008, running anything other than VI in one xterm and compiling code in another would just be asking too much.

I agree that it is wrong for them to say things like "You will get it by the end of month" or "You will get it by Christmas" etc. However, to say that the Pandora is outdated? I disagree!

I intend to do many things when I get my Pandora and it sounds similar to your needs. Sure, there will be occasions where the Pandora will struggle to do certain things that my laptop and desktop will do effortlessly. My laptop is 4 years old. As far as I am concerned, the requirements for my Pandora would be the same today as well as 3 years ago.

Personally, if you are that bothered by the Pandora being out of date... why don't you cancel? I am sure there are many other devices that fits in your pocket with a QWERTY keyboard, running GNU/Linux, etc.

:)

No, the shipper has to change the address. Call the shop you ordered from or email with something like Urgent UPS Shipping change in your subject line if you can't phone.
I think you can change your own address with UPS as well, or at least you can in England because that's what I plan to do to get my pandora sent to my work if I happen to be there that day.
Hey I called UPS yesterday the only way I can change the address for the item shipping to me is that the deliverer has to make one attempt to deliver the package to its destination before I can change it that fucking sucks if you dont believe me you can call and ask yourself cause I dont believe a word anyone says until I find out my damn self and that the truth!

Hey I called UPS yesterday the only way I can change the address for the item shipping to me is that the deliverer has to make one attempt to deliver the package to its destination before I can change it that fucking sucks if you dont believe me you can call and ask yourself cause I dont believe a word anyone says until I find out my damn self and that the truth!
I was only trying to help, no reason to get on the defensive. It's called "UPS Delivery Intercept" and it may not be available in your country. Info HERE if you're in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outdated for retrogaming and basic office stuff? Are you guys kidding?

Next thread please!
Are you talking about the pandora or UPS cause if you are dissing the pandora man go somewhere else talking about that shit cause Im here for the project not your opinions or views!!

I was only trying to help, no reason to get on the defensive. It's called "UPS Delivery Intercept" and it may not be available in your country. Info HERE if you're in the UK.
Hey Im sorry I didnt mean it like that we talk a little different where Im from dont take offense but thats what the UPS told me at the office and over the phone thanks for your help with the info!

Next thread please!
Are you talking about the pandora or UPS cause if you are dissing the pandora man go somewhere else talking about that shit cause Im here for the project not your opinions or views!!

i wasn't talking to you, psycho!

I don't see what Alerino said wrong?

he was defending the Pandora!

I've had mine for 3months and its best little gadget ive ever bought!

The design , the size and ergonomics , the interface , surfing the net and all that retro game goodness.... brilliant piece of kit!

the Pandora can never be outdated until the Pandora 2 arrives.

the pandora 2 will have the same specs and components as the pandora 1, won't it?

the "outdated" term is used to describe the hardware side (some components and probably their price: battery? cpu? etc...)

not the software side...

to not admit it, is hypocrisy.

the pandora 2 will have the same specs and components as the pandora 1, won't it?
I should hope not. They're talking about a theoretical Pandora 2 that will come along in a few years, not the second batch of the current one.

the "outdated" term is used to describe the hardware side (some components and probably their price: battery? cpu? etc...)

not the software side...

By that logic, the NDS was outdated before it was released, yet it's had a 6 year run. Same for the PSP. The 3DS is currently outdated, and the NGP will be outdated soon. In fact, most handheld electronics are "outdated" before or within a few months of their release, if all you care about is the raw specs of the CPU.

If people admit to this definition of outdated, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, most people equate outdated with "insufficient", using the term to mean that there is something wrong with the Pandora. There was nothing wrong with the NDS for 6 years, here's to hoping the Pandora can pull off something similar.

Stop moaning!!

All the best

I agree that it is wrong for them to say things like "You will get it by the end of month" or "You will get it by Christmas" etc. However, to say that the Pandora is outdated? I disagree!

I intend to do many things when I get my Pandora and it sounds similar to your needs. Sure, there will be occasions where the Pandora will struggle to do certain things that my laptop and desktop will do effortlessly. My laptop is 4 years old. As far as I am concerned, the requirements for my Pandora would be the same today as well as 3 years ago.

Personally, if you are that bothered by the Pandora being out of date... why don't you cancel? I am sure there are many other devices that fits in your pocket with a QWERTY keyboard, running GNU/Linux, etc.

:)
I ordered a Pandora to do work on at college. The course is now finishing: I leave in a month. The stuff I'll be doing next year will far outstrip its capabilities. Now, I run two laptops: a VAIO I bought last year and a Lifebook S that I got secondhand, it's five years old now. Yeah, my Lifebook does everything I want it to, but there's a difference; it's got a 40GB disc pack in it and a gig of memory, as well as a 1.6GHz processor. For the price I paid for my Pandora, these days, I'd expect much more power.

I'm not going to cancel it because there is that one function I want it for: playing my SNES games and whatnot. But as a computer, it's going to be useless for the computer stuff I wanted it for. Yeah, I got a NanoNote to do some simple programming on, but that was less than a third of the price, came withing three days, and has no pretense as to its usefulness; it just bills itself as a tiny laptop that is capable of running Linux. I've done some stuff on it, yeah, but I've had no ideas about trying to run demanding software on it. When I tried running XFCE on it, it was for one reason: to test my stopwatch.

Anyway, I'm waiting for it. I've no doubt that it plays retro games well, but I have no expectations of it being any more useful than a sliderule for my computer power needs. The main reason why I'm continuing to wait is that I now just want to see how long it takes to get here. But I damn' well expect it to arrive, otherwise... OPT will have incurred my displeasure. The fact that it'll be a year - the cutoff I gave before - likely isn't going to matter, because from what I can see, OPT doesn't actually care how I feel.

And yeah, outdated. 512MB? That's just a f'ing joke. I sincerely hope I can put a 4-8GB on the board. And 400-whatever MHz? My phone clocks faster than that, and it's not an expensive smartphone, it's an £80 Nokia from the local O2 shop.

I should hope not. They're talking about a theoretical Pandora 2 that will come along in a few years, not the second batch of the current one.

not the software side...

By that logic, the NDS was outdated before it was released, yet it's had a 6 year run. Same for the PSP. The 3DS is currently outdated, and the NGP will be outdated soon. In fact, most handheld electronics are "outdated" before or within a few months of their release, if all you care about is the raw specs of the CPU.

If people admit to this definition of outdated, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, most people equate outdated with "insufficient", using the term to mean that there is something wrong with the Pandora. There was nothing wrong with the NDS for 6 years, here's to hoping the Pandora can pull off something similar.

Thank you!!

You know, the NDS could manage another 6 years if Nintendo pushed it hard enough. Also, the NDS was very outdated when it was released. Even the 3DS is already outdated and it has been out for a month!

It is just sad that many people have to own the latest devices out there, purely because... just because! Sure, there are reasons for wanting to upgrade to the latest smart phone, perhaps due to your contract or restrictions or lack of support from an older device, etc. However, NO WAY... and I say, NO WAY, should the Pandora come under this category!

Even if a Pandora 2 was to appear in the next few years, the Pandora 1 would not be redundant in any way! You will not feel pressured to upgrading, as you know that your awesome hand-held can last you many years to come!

SIGN... I cannot wait for my awesome, redundant Pandora! ;-)

Will you guys please stop yelling at each other XD :mellow:

Your pandora will come eventually , just have patience . ;)

I'm waiting 1,5 years here and I'm still waiting for my email but i'm not worried at all. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a Pandora to do work on at college. The course is now finishing: I leave in a month. The stuff I'll be doing next year will far outstrip its capabilities. Now, I run two laptops: a VAIO I bought last year and a Lifebook S that I got secondhand, it's five years old now. Yeah, my Lifebook does everything I want it to, but there's a difference; it's got a 40GB disc pack in it and a gig of memory, as well as a 1.6GHz processor. For the price I paid for my Pandora, these days, I'd expect much more power.

I ordered my pandora for the same reason (uni that is) and now I'm also finishing! It will just have a different use, gaming and pocket sized data entry. Same problem again, the same price can get you a better pile of hardware but the pandora wins because it can fit the hardware into your pocket. Power is one thing, but hey size matters :p

I ordered my pandora for the same reason (uni that is) and now I'm also finishing! It will just have a different use, gaming and pocket sized data entry. Same problem again, the same price can get you a better pile of hardware but the pandora wins because it can fit the hardware into your pocket. Power is one thing, but hey size matters :p
Fine. But I still want to be able to put a gig of memory on the board and a few gig NAND in the current one's place. In fact, to hell with it, when I'm practiced up with a soldering iron (as I hope will happen over Summer, got a few projects to do), I'll be wanting to see how possible replacing the chip with a holder so I can upgrade whenever I want. Just depends on how much memory the thing'll take. But 256MB ain't enough. I want twice that, at the very least - I want GNOME on it!

Back