Movies Thread

Javacat said:
Just watched Bugsy Malone for the first time in years. Great film, although the ending doesn't make sense! They all get splurged but they are still all alive! :eek:
Well you are aware that the killing properties of splurge are practically... well zero?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what happens to all of the other people in the film when they get pied or shot????!!??!!??!?!?!?!?

Javacat said:
So what happens to all of the other people in the film when they get pied or shot????!!??!!??!?!?!?!?
They're obviously being overdramatic :p

Slumdog Millionaire: 10/10, best foreign film since City of God.

Doubt: 10/10, really thought-provoking plot with some great acting and dialogue. Oscar for Mr. Hoffman (and maybe Amy Adams?).

Milk: 10/10, very interesting story which I've known virtually nothing about. Brilliant acting from the fuckin MAN, Sean Penn.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 9/10, different and refreshing film. Extremely thought provoking, cohesive plot and brilliant acting.

To See:

The Wrestler
Revolutionary Road
Gran Torino

I watched Daredevil: Directors Cut last night. I'd heard mixed feelings about the original version of the film and wasn't expecting much from it, but I did actually enjoy it. I've done some reading and there have apparently been quite a few changes between the original and this version which fix some of the problems.
I think that the biggest problem that still remained in the film and that couldn't be changed was Ben Affleck as Daredevil. There was nothing actually wrong with him in it, but he really didn't suit the role (and is the reason I hadn't put much effort into seeing it before).

Still... here's to hoping Marvel Studios get the rights to make a sequel!

The day the earth stood still (original and new version): As expected of both, government => sheeple propaganda for making us docile via shocktreatement and fearmongering and making us accustomed to the idea of a one world government being necessary after all. Better stop telling people the government is out to get us soon or our fluoride and Splenda-ingesting fellow zombizens will have a "patriotic" mob against antisocial traitor elements... oh the movies.. yeah... well.. decent. quite functional as propaganda usually is and if you take the whole, real ET topic into account... extremely shallow but that'd be hoping for too much :) next off is 2012! ..oh what? they made the whole topic into a cataclysmic disaster flick? nahhh, no way!

I watched the 1988 They Live also, that was good antidote :) highly recommended. Never knew that's where the "...and I'm all out of gum"-phrase came from (originally?). Great 80-90ies feel. What would you do if you found a pair of shades that made every bit of commercial and medial layout and logo spell "obey", "go back to sleep", your dollar bills saying "this is your god"!!

Just watched Mamma Mia!!!!

It's special. Pierce Brosnan doing Abba is a bit wrong. There are a few funny bits in it (most of them towards the end).

nimnimnim said:
The day the earth stood still (original and new version): As expected of both, government => sheeple propaganda for making us docile via shocktreatement and fearmongering and making us accustomed to the idea of a one world government being necessary after all. Better stop telling people the government is out to get us soon or our fluoride and Splenda-ingesting fellow zombizens will have a "patriotic" mob against antisocial traitor elements... oh the movies.. yeah... well.. decent. quite functional as propaganda usually is and if you take the whole, real ET topic into account... extremely shallow but that'd be hoping for too much :) next off is 2012! ..oh what? they made the whole topic into a cataclysmic disaster flick? nahhh, no way!

I watched the 1988 They Live also, that was good antidote :) highly recommended. Never knew that's where the "...and I'm all out of gum"-phrase came from (originally?). Great 80-90ies feel. What would you do if you found a pair of shades that made every bit of commercial and medial layout and logo spell "obey", "go back to sleep", your dollar bills saying "this is your god"!!

I watched this a couple of weeks back, I booked the tickets online and after i did that i went onto IMDB to check out what people had said about it. ALL negativity so i thought yay great...... Went and watched it anyway and i thought it was great!

everyone is a critic aye ;)

But then again i watched no county for old men and thought it was one of the worst film i had ever seen soooooo boring but everyone else loved it.

tim0391 said:
But then again i watched no county for old men and thought it was one of the worst film i had ever seen soooooo boring but everyone else loved it.
NCFOM is one of my favs of all time. It won't be enjoyable if you don't grasp the key meaning of the film. I've watched it two times and enjoyed it immensely the second time through, mainly because I paid really close attention to the dialogue (crucial) and found the key themes of the film. The entire thing is symbolic for the horrors of the world, and each character has an identity.

Saw The Reader and really enjoyed it. Winslet was great and so was that little German boy. Perhaps he will win an oscar at some point if he keeps up this quality acting.

I suppose there's a possibility that it could win best picture. Though probably not.

I just began watching "Get Smart" film series (evrething including from 1965)... sweet

I have just watched The Mist. its a great low budget b movie feel to it that actualy helps you believe in the characters - its kinda like a cross between Cloverfield and the first Half-life game and the old film The Fog. it is set in a small town in the rockies (i think) and a military research base in the mountains gets hit by a tornado. Unbeknown to the residents of the town the army are experimenting with dimension travel and a gate is opened that then covers the town in a thick mist that contains all sorts of strange creatures from half-life and cloverfield that are (convientiently for the FX guys budget) shrouded in mist. It has a very docudrama feel to it that is reminiscent of a Romero film as the story is really about the breakdown of society and humanity in a group of people trapped an a supermarket with a religious extremist amongst them. The ending is just the best i've seen from a Holywood film in years and dont think it would have been allowed to end in such a way if it was big budget. worth watching but not as good as a zombie film.
pub

Just finished watching X-Men: The Last Stand. It's about as silly as the first and second, but still pretty good. They are films that keep you entertained, whilst not needing you to do any thinking.

After seeing the clip right at the very end, after the credits, I'm now wondering what the chances are of a proper sequel :p

Bring on X-Men Origins!!

That does look sweet, PV.

I just saw Valkyrie. The wife wanted to see it for some reason. It was interesting but nothing that I'd tell anyone that they have to go see. It would've been better without Tom Cruise but that's probably a given.

Oh, that (this thread) reminds me. I need to go watch Snake and Crane: Arts of Shaolin. I almost forgot that I picked that up right before Christmas. Sweeeet!

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is one that a lot of people forget about. It's been forever since I've seen it so I'm not sure if it's any good still. I liked it when I was younger.

Frogboy said:
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is one that a lot of people forget about.

I'm not a fan of horror in general but I really liked that movie. I managed to get into the cinema to see it when I was about 15 (it was an 18 certificate). It's one of only two movies that actually scared me, the other was Eraserhead.

Back