Moving default OS of the Pandora to Ubuntu OS?

Ubuntu/Debian as default Pandora OS?

• No, I prefer Angstrom

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • Yeah, I prefer Ubuntu

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I prefer Debian

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • I prefer Android

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I prefer another Linux distro

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Other (please see my post below)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

I'd totally love to have Ubuntu on the Pandora, especially since Ubuntu Touch for Phones & Tablets was unveiled.

Also, I do like Unity, especially on small screen sizes, perfect for the Pandora.

I do not like the current situation, btw., as there are no automatical Updates and thus potential security risks,

also Package avaiability on Ubuntu is far superior and it sucks that even simple Apps need to be manually

ported to the Pandora.

As many people seem to prefer Angstrom, I still wish for an Ubuntu Image Option (sadly I lack knowledge to do it myself).
You do realise that you can't compare the desktop distributions package availability with the one from the mobile/ARM dist. ? Having any sort of Ubuntu on the Pandora does not make the pnd system go away as not everyone would want to use ubuntu henceforth, and not every game will automatically be optimized for the Pandora either.

Inclined to feel I made a good decision since the whole spyware debacle.
Which was more or less a tempest in a teapot

@lunixbochs

Any news on this one ?

It's more important that we get the current system up to date and bug-free than go back to the drawing board.
Well upgrading forced aTc to return to the drawing board 2 times already. At least there are only 2 bugs left before an alpha image can be shipped.
I have an Ubuntu build (currently using LXDE as a test, but it's simple enough to switch to XFCE) that easily fits on NAND and it definitely feels faster than the Angstrom setup. Even startup/shutdown are measurably faster.
How ? Did you butched it with large rm -rf /usr/share/doc and a-like ?
Newer angstrom are also faster (well not 1st boot ; newer gcc and glibc help a lot).

It's more important that we get the current system up to date and bug-free than go back to the drawing board.
Well upgrading forced aTc to return to the drawing board 2 times already. At least there are only 2 bugs left before an alpha image can be shipped.
>I have an Ubuntu build (currently using LXDE as a test, but it's simple enough to switch to XFCE) that easily fits on NAND and it definitely feels faster than the Angstrom setup. Even startup/shutdown are measurably faster.
How ? Did you butched it with large rm -rf /usr/share/doc and a-like ?

Newer angstrom are also faster (well not 1st boot ; newer gcc and glibc help a lot).
I used the (Precise?) Ubuntu ARM package repos and installed a very specific set of packages onto a 500MB partition. No butchering was required yet.

I didn't need to do anything from here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReducingDiskFootprint but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I used the Pandora's existing kernel.

Anything other than Ubuntu. I really dislike unity. Really don't care, apart from not ubuntu. My desktop is already screwed, I'm not giving any more ground.

Anything other than Ubuntu. I really dislike unity. Really don't care, apart from not ubuntu. My desktop is already screwed, I'm not giving any more ground.
Unity isn't part of my Ubuntu testing. The UI can easily look exactly the same as the current Angstrom.

Unity isn't part of my Ubuntu testing. The UI can easily look exactly the same as the current Angstrom.
I don't care about the appearance, I am not prepared to support the company that destroyed my desktop experience any more.

What's wrong with good'ol debian?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the one hand Debian's package manager has more overhead that's stealing more space from the small NAND (also affects Ubuntu, of course), on the other hand Debian's repository is everything but optimized for our CPU, the packages are all compiled for ancient ARM architectures to keep maximum compatibility, so it would only make sense to create a whole new repo for ourselves, and that's what we already have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back