Moving default OS of the Pandora to Ubuntu OS?

Ubuntu/Debian as default Pandora OS?

• No, I prefer Angstrom

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • Yeah, I prefer Ubuntu

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I prefer Debian

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • I prefer Android

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I prefer another Linux distro

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Other (please see my post below)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

@TrashyMG

thats ugly... never used Ubuntu long enough to get this problem but my experience with graphical installers isn't good in general. I'd recomend openSUSE as "easy" to use distribution. Didn't encounter any mojor problems with YaST.

TrashyMG said:
Ubuntu for Steam.. but now I found the Fedora packages for it..
cool! need to try on openSUSE and Arch Linux

It being commercial doesn't really bug me much, Unity bugs the hell out of me.. Also it's poor package handling bugs me, by default on install it assigned a 40MB boot partition and the package management system never removes old kernel images by default.. after four kernel updates it maxed out the boot partition.. Now I'm in some odd state where it wants to install the new kernel but there isn't enough room, but it won't allow me to uninstall these images because it's still trying to resolve installing the new kernel.. Deleting old unused kernel images by hand just made it more confused... As clunky as the Redhat camp is I'll take it over Ubuntu. I plan on formatting to the newest Fedora, I only tried Ubuntu for Steam.. but now I found the Fedora packages for it..
whats wrong with just doing sudo apt-get autoremove

that gets rid of the old kernels doesn't it? or at least for me they don't appear any more in the boot selection.

I'm sure it would, if it wasn't complaining about still needing to resolve installing the newer kernel. which doesn't work even if it has enough room. I'm in some kind of odd loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having used several versions of ubuntu (hell I'm still using one now)   I've noticed a trend towards removing features and flexibility and calling it a UI improvement.   This disturbs me, and as a result I'm inclined to avoid installing future versions of it.

- Neelix

I have an Ubuntu build (currently using LXDE as a test, but it's simple enough to switch to XFCE) that easily fits on NAND and it definitely feels faster than the Angstrom setup. Even startup/shutdown are measurably faster. I might upload a rootfs somewhere when I get the SGX working.

Having used several versions of ubuntu (hell I'm still using one now)   I've noticed a trend towards removing features and flexibility and calling it a UI improvement.   This disturbs me, and as a result I'm inclined to avoid installing future versions of it.
Exactly that.

- Neelix
Thats my experience too, altough I'm using Gnome3 instead of unity

I have an Ubuntu build (currently using LXDE as a test, but it's simple enough to switch to XFCE) that easily fits on NAND and it definitely feels faster than the Angstrom setup. Even startup/shutdown are measurably faster. I might upload a rootfs somewhere when I get the SGX working.
nice, looking forward to it

It uses systemd, which is a very discutable init system.

I tweaked once the Slackware init system and reached almost the same speed by one or two seconds, but it's a bit dirty.

Wouldn't switching to another distribution cause some pnd's to break?
Some pnd are dynamically linked to system libs, so even a big Zaxxon update will break them.

- Neelix
Probably designed buy the same guys who think that 'one button operation!' makes things easier to operate :wacko:

<insert rant here>

Slackware please.

Would be nice to give it a try.

Not  to replace the main OS of all units at once but I had good experience with SL4P.

Might be worth a try.

I am using Ubuntu on my desktop, and have been for several years.

Unfortunately Ubuntu has chosen a path I do not wish to follow.

Unity is a huge step backwards.

Where we had well organized menus, they chose to dump all applications into a single menu, so finding anything is impossible.

Where we had customizable desktops, they chose to go with a single fixed icon bar that can only be on the left.

Within a day of "upgrading" to a version with Ubuntu, I had re-installed Gnome classic to get back to something that was usable, but even that had been de-featured. A panel applet I created for MythTV no-longer works, and I was unable to find any way to port it to the current gnome.

I'm still using Ubuntu, but that is primarily inertia. I'm reluctant to go through the hassle of getting MythTV running on another distribution, nor do I wish to spend hours installing many distributions to find one I like.

DAP, I know how you feel. I recommend trying Mint.

I solved all my problems with Ubuntu by switching to Fedora 18, Steam actually run pretty good on it.

My 2 month journey in Ubuntu land wasn't pleasant.

Ubuntu is the Hep.B of Linux.... I mean, you can live with it.. but nobody wants it

I'm still using Ubuntu, but that is primarily inertia. I'm reluctant to go through the hassle of getting MythTV running on another distribution, nor do I wish to spend hours installing many distributions to find one I like.
Surely all you need to do is install the older version of Gnome, KDE or whatever onto your box and switch Window manager to use that? and you'll be back to where you were, just with an updated Kernel and libs and whatever

I'd totally love to have Ubuntu on the Pandora, especially since Ubuntu Touch for Phones & Tablets was unveiled.

Also, I do like Unity, especially on small screen sizes, perfect for the Pandora.

I do not like the current situation, btw., as there are no automatical Updates and thus potential security risks,

also Package avaiability on Ubuntu is far superior and it sucks that even simple Apps need to be manually

ported to the Pandora.

As many people seem to prefer Angstrom, I still wish for an Ubuntu Image Option (sadly I lack knowledge to do it myself).

Hell Yeah, I'd love that very much!

Will it be possiblet to do a dist-upgrade without loosing pandora-specific modifications?

Do pnds work?

Is there a good reason that the default Angstrom spends a very long time on boot handling udev?

Stopped using ubuntu around unity.

Now use linux mint kde and stuck with it since. Due to mints reliance on Ubuntu I'm sure in the future I will switch to debian or Fedora.

Inclined to feel I made a good decision since the whole spyware debacle.

Back