Moving Forward!

torpor said:
The Mob is inescapable. It is a human failing, and we are all subject to its whims. When you get a small group being vocal about an issue in a negative way, it has an impact on the rest of the group in a major way. This is a fact of life.

If you don't want to educate yourself on the dynamics of this phenomenon, fine, but don't pretend your ignorance trumps enlightenment about the issue. The fact is, any negative thread anyone cares to start about the Pandora right now, *WILL* attract a mob which propels the issue further and has an impact on the larger group.

I'll worship the Flying Spaghetty Monster instead :p
"Facts of live" are to vague for me. I could expand on the consequences of your analysis, but it would lead to long-winded nonsense that won't lead anywhere, either. Basing action on a theoretical "fact of life" is exactly what I talked about earlier. Letting fear blind your judgement. I hope we can leave aside prejudices now and concentrate on the actual problems and their solution in a cool and professional manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name=mali]^ I can live with that [/quote]

Far too vague for me, I'm afraid .. what do you mean by 'live', and .. 'I' .. and .. 'that' ..

:p

GRUSO: AGREED! ACTIVATE COMPILER FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

EvilDragon said:
Since we will also offer replacement parts, you can basically upgrade your unit yourself if you have any problems.

As always, thanks for your enthusiasm, dedication and honesty. Pandora is a complicated & ground breaking device, it is to be expected that there will be areas to improve.

After all these threads I just decided to look over my unit again, and I still strongly feel that for a small scale enthusiasts project the quality is extremly good! The case, the keyboard and the construction are far beyond than I expected. Well done! I do have the 1.5mm bezel issue, and it is a shame, you kind of get a nervous twitch pushing it back onto the tape for the few seconds before it bows out again, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

I also am delighted that the cases didn't get silk screened, I strongly believe the all black colour scheme is the perfect asthetic for this kind of device. There is a great charm in not knowing what all the slots/LED's/Buttons/Sliders do, it adds to the mystery of the device. :)

Finally, I notice that you state that OP will offer replacement parts, will this also include spare Nubs for us "One Nubbers"? (If it's too work intensive to offer a replacement service after Batch1/2 are complete, this would at least give us a chance to repair our units.) My left nub did work at first, and I had totally underestimated how good a job the Nub does of mouse/mupen controls. It would be groovy to try and fix it.

That said, I fully understand that continued production is the priority, and I also fully understand that we one nubbers were never offered, promised or suggested that we could order spare parts.

Cheers

C_S

PS. Looking forward to getting my Caanoo from you too, were there many other pre-orders to Norway?

CapcomSuicide said:
EvilDragon said:
Since we will also offer replacement parts, you can basically upgrade your unit yourself if you have any problems.

After all these threads I just decided to look over my unit again, and I still strongly feel that for a small scale enthusiasts project the quality is extremly good! The case, the keyboard and the construction are far beyond than I expected. Well done! I do have the 1.5mm bezel issue, and it is a shame, you kind of get a nervous twitch pushing it back onto the tape for the few seconds before it bows out again, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks. That's exactly my opinion of how you should see the Pandora :D

Finally, I notice that you state that OP will offer replacement parts, will this also include spare Nubs for us "One Nubbers"? (If it's too work intensive to offer a replacement service after Batch1/2 are complete, this would at least give us a chance to repair our units.) My left nub did work at first, and I had totally underestimated how good a job the Nub does of mouse/mupen controls. It would be groovy to try and fix it.

If your unit was a normal two-nubber, you will get them replaced for free (of course).
I don't see no reason why we can't offer spare nubs. They are not that easy to desolder, but I also don't see no reason why we should not offer a service to replace it, too.

That said, I fully understand that continued production is the priority, and I also fully understand that we one nubbers were never offered, promised or suggested that we could order spare parts.

Who said you could never get spare parts? I thought the only thing we said was that we can't replace them for free, but selling spare nubs shouldn't be a problem.

PS. Looking forward to getting my Caanoo from you too, were there many other pre-orders to Norway?

I'm not sure there's anyone yet except you ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Thursday at 12 August 2010 02:16 said:
So far, we only had about 50 RMAs out of 700 - while the boards currently make it sound as if almost EVERY unit is unusable.

Nice propaganda there.
[/quote]

No, it's a true fact. So far, that's all what we got back.
But what you are doing here is negative propaganda, by just ripping that sentence, leaving out the important part of that passage:
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't really explain myself properly there. I just disagreed that "the boards currently make it sound as if almost EVERY unit is unusable." I think Exophase pointed out earlier that the poll has nothing to do with usability. I also don't think anyone is going out of their way to purposefully rubbish the Pandora (although when people get the chance to converge and compare their Pandoras it CAN seem that way).

I agree with everything else you've said, I value your and the rest of the team's hard, tireless work. I think you are doing a great job and I can't wait to get my Pandora back. I included a list of problems with a note for Craig to inspect the unit, hopefully that will help iron out the case cracking problem.

quartercast said:
No, it's a true fact. So far, that's all what we got back.
But what you are doing here is negative propaganda, by just ripping that sentence, leaving out the important part of that passage:

Sorry, I didn't really explain myself properly there. I just disagreed that "the boards currently make it sound as if almost EVERY unit is unusable." I think Exophase pointed out earlier that the poll has nothing to do with usability. I also don't think anyone is going out of their way to purposefully rubbish the Pandora (although when people get the chance to converge and compare their Pandoras it CAN seem that way).

Aaah, I see. Well, misunderstandings can happen and happen way too fast, sadly :)
Thanks for explaining :)

I agree with everything else you've said, I value your and the rest of the team's hard, tireless work. I think you are doing a great job and I can't wait to get my Pandora back. I included a list of problems with a note for Craig to inspect the unit, hopefully that will help iron out the case cracking problem.

I'm sure it will help - and I hope you do get a way better unit back :)

Last edited:
Please: Even if you do not want to return your unit right now, let us know if you have any serious issues like a dead nub or a failed LCD cable or anything else.
Why? Well, we're trying to fix all problems and prevent them from happening. But if we DON'T KNOW about these issues, we can't fix them. Telling us what fails will help us to improve the quality and increase the production speed.

I'm one of this case, but this is something I just tought: which email should we send these reports, is the sales one? Is the receiver prepared so receive such technical emails?

Hitnrun posted on Thursday at 12 August 2010 02:16 said:
Please: Even if you do not want to return your unit right now, let us know if you have any serious issues like a dead nub or a failed LCD cable or anything else.
Why? Well, we're trying to fix all problems and prevent them from happening. But if we DON'T KNOW about these issues, we can't fix them. Telling us what fails will help us to improve the quality and increase the production speed.

I'm one of this case, but this is something I just tought: which email should we send these reports, is the sales one? Is the receiver prepared so receive such technical emails?
[/quote]

Yes, the sales one is fine. She will tell craig :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:

Who said you could never get spare parts? I thought the only thing we said was that we can't replace them for free, but selling spare nubs shouldn't be a problem.
Clarifying for Capcom: he's not saying someone said he couldn't get spare parts, he's saying that he was never told that he could get spare parts. No one told him, when accepting the one nubber, that it would be possible to fix it in the future; he's just asked for clarification on that, and you've given it :)

Well I'm not part of any mob. I don't wish any harm to the team or the project... I want it to be awesome and amazing and keep improving.

So if I say something that detracts from the brilliance of the Pandora, it's a peicemeal of pragmatic thought.

I already heavily praised the team. You can dig up the old thread where I commended the team, if you don't believe me. After accepting that the Pandora is great, and a miracle, and a huge achievement... the next focus is 'right, what can be made better'.

At the end of the day, that's what geeks do. People like me look at something and say 'How can that be better?' and that's why we have technology that improves and advances year on year. Not because of the suit that said 'Right, we need something new to sell' but because of the guys who discovered the technology in the first place - the guys who said 'What if that could be better? What if there was a better way?'

If it weren't for that attitude... we wouldn't even have the Pandora. We wouldn't want it. Nobody would want to make it.

Another test I did worked fine: I installed the very first OS version on my Pandora, changed the config files to use our feeds and upgraded the system using opkg update and opkg upgrade - and 10 minutes later, I had a working up-to-date OS on my system!
This just triggered something in my head: if you replace the opkg config files to point to your servers, what if someone wants to install something from the official Angstrom repository? Understanding, of course, that it may not work, but some people are going to want to anyway. Can there be a kind of "universe" option that can be activated which points everything not in the Pandora archive back to the existing archive? I'm not certain how opkg handles multiple sources for a single package, so this may be a stupid question.

EvilDragon said:
We can't improve the shoulder buttons much more nor the bezel at the moment - they are working, but some people don't like them.

(...)

The Bezel doesn't sound like the easiest part to replace on the user end though, from what I can gather, in particular because of the adhesive connecting it to the screen (which I'd presume would need to be replenished with a new bezel).

Is the bezel fixable with little bit of superglue? Or will I void my warranty?

WizardStan posted on Thursday at 12 August 2010 02:16 said:
Another test I did worked fine: I installed the very first OS version on my Pandora, changed the config files to use our feeds and upgraded the system using opkg update and opkg upgrade - and 10 minutes later, I had a working up-to-date OS on my system!
This just triggered something in my head: if you replace the opkg config files to point to your servers, what if someone wants to install something from the official Angstrom repository? Understanding, of course, that it may not work, but some people are going to want to anyway. Can there be a kind of "universe" option that can be activated which points everything not in the Pandora archive back to the existing archive? I'm not certain how opkg handles multiple sources for a single package, so this may be a stupid question.
[/quote]

AFAIK, you set priorities for different feeds, so it should be possible :)

Last edited:
SomeGuy99 said:
Is the bezel fixable with little bit of superglue?

IMHO: NO.
Superglue can leave a nasty deposit around the area of application, and you don't really want to be sticking anything to the screen when it's going to continue to exert an outward force. Also, you might want or need to remove it later, what then?

Back