Multiplayer Emulation

Spadoof

Website
Visit site
Dear Readers,

Just wondering if anyone knew if multiplayer emulation will be supported between multiple game systems. I know that it has to do more with the emulation software, but will the wifi card be able to reconize other systems. I really hope so, this would add another reason to get the system. Just imagine if they got a n64 emulator working! you could play 007, supersmash bros. with others.

Thanks for listening,
-Spadoof :gp2x

Spadoof said:
Just wondering if anyone knew if multiplayer emulation will be supported between multiple game systems.
That is up to the people porting the emulators. It is not particularly easy to do, but there is no technical limitation that makes it impossible either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
It is not particularly easy to do, but there is no technical limitation that makes it impossible either.
It's not particularly hard either if forwarding the input devices (/dev/whatever) over the wifi doesn't have any drawbacks I can't see right now

Would the HW support adhoc mode like the PSP? That is, direct connection without both units having to be connected to a LAN or something.

I know nearly nothing about Wi-Fi hardware and stuff, so I have no idea if this is a HW or SW situation.

sindbad said:
Chip said:
It is not particularly easy to do, but there is no technical limitation that makes it impossible either.
It's not particularly hard either if forwarding the input devices (/dev/whatever) over the wifi doesn't have any drawbacks I can't see right now

Not hard from a can-it-be-programmed perspective, but from a can-it-be-made-playable perspective. Most online games were designed in such a way to compensate for the 200-500ms of latency that you are likely to have. Half a second is a long time when you're talking about 2-player console games. Ignoring the latency and conectivity (how do you find another player?) issues, it's not hard.

Latency should be much lower than 500ms over wifi. I get google pings of ~25ms. People have done something similar with the irex Illiad for it's wacom (used as a device for a computer over wifi) and it worked great. This may still be a problem in some cases though.

The actual finding of some other player and the connection would need a GUI with a backend library (client + a server running on the host pandora), but the upside is that only one would be needed since it could be used for any and all games.

Even in non-emulated games, the other player(s) could register through this app and have devices for each of them created or you could plug in multiple usb controllers into the pandora. Or both. The game itself would have no idea, neither would it need to.

i remember reading about a nes emulator, Jnes for pc, and nester for psp (ad-hoc only) that had support for multplay.
Does anyone know if you could port maybe one of the emulators on the psp that supports multiplay, maybe?? PLEASEE????

schnitzelboy said:
i remember reading about a nes emulator, Jnes for pc, and nester for psp (ad-hoc only) that had support for multplay.
Does anyone know if you could port maybe one of the emulators on the psp that supports multiplay, maybe?? PLEASEE????
I can only tell you what people have told me. If its in the sourcecode, it should be able to be manipulated to play. I actually was curious about games that connect to game servers. Maybe it would be possible to have our nintendo wifi connect but instead of using a central server, just use normal dedicated servers. I'd run one on my debian linux box which is currently running counter strike source and some times battlefield 1942.
plug: novaslogic.homelinux.net:27015
if anyone is interested. Just message me if you want to play.
Anyways, just thinking this be a good idea for people who wanted to create homebrew with connectable servers behind it. I'm sure a lot of people would be more then happy to run a dedicated server.

A Little off topic but definitely related. Is Wired Connection possible? If Each Pandora has a USB Host and client.
could you theoretically use 2/+ USB Host to Client cables and do it that way? or would it have to be a 2/+ way host? The likely hood of having more than two pandoras in the same room is minuscule but you know a little knowledge never hurts

Exarus said:
A Little off topic but definitely related. Is Wired Connection possible? If Each Pandora has a USB Host and client.
could you theoretically use 2/+ USB Host to Client cables and do it that way? or would it have to be a 2/+ way host? The likely hood of having more than two pandoras in the same room is minuscule but you know a little knowledge never hurts

Two Pandoras in the same room may be unlikely, but two Pandoras in the same car is more likely.

Your avatar - the 7th Saga! :lol:

An Idea for emulators on network, either USB or WiFi could be to link the network connection like a controller, at least if you're in the same room

This way with the other Pandoras connecting as a controller instead of a full system and just select the other Pandoras as controllers in the emulator?

My not work over the net but should be an easier solution if you're in the same room watching the same TV, for it to work over greater distances the host would require much more work I think

Exarus said:
Ethernet over usb would probably be the easiest way to do this. But it may be better to just use the wifi.

Holokauston said:
This way with the other Pandoras connecting as a controller instead of a full system and just select the other Pandoras as controllers in the emulator?

My not work over the net but should be an easier solution if you're in the same room watching the same TV, for it to work over greater distances the host would require much more work I think
That's my idea. You could add some other usb controller connected to the pandora host in that sketch.

Where the same screen cannot be viewed by all players, things get a bit more complicated. Forwarding the screen output over ssh (X forward, NX or some other thing) is somewhat unpractical, but could work.
And yes, over the internet the latency will be too much for this simple solution and the game/emulator itself will have to take care of that.

I think a generic multiplayer library for the pandora could be very useful, regardless of the implementation.

sindbad said:
Exarus said:
Ethernet over usb would probably be the easiest way to do this. But it may be better to just use the wifi.

I think USB might use less power than WiFi, though.

you could always just carry around an extra psx controller + usb to psx adapter.
your friend could just play on the other controller

Holokauston said:
Hiroe said:
you could always just carry around an extra psx controller + usb to psx adapter.
your friend could just play on the other controller
But then he/she doesn't have to buy a Pandora and that's no good :p

Exactly, I vote for no multiplayer support in order to boost sales :D

If I'm with someone in a place with a TV (ie: somebody's home) I'd just bring along my TV-out cable, usb hub+adapters and whatever controllers I want, and then have any console :)

This could be a dream come true. I have a gp2x and a breakout board for it. I take it over my friends house all the time but the porblem is 1) alot of the gp2x's emulators don't support multiplayer(usb support) and that 2) it dosn't have systems meant for alot of multiplayer games. I cant wait to get my hands on this and check out the possiblites. I think if you make the system more accesible to people they will sell more

Thanks,
spadoof :gp2x

Back