Mupen64 Will It Have....

kingoddball

Hi There!

I'm just after someones guess..

Will a later release of Mupen64 include NetPlay and a GameShark code section!?

GOLDENEYE ONLINE!!!!
Goldeneye Mods and Extra multiplayer levels (all require GS codes)!!

kingoddball said:
I'm just after someones guess..

You're in luck, as I have a guess right here:
No.

Also, GoldenEye might take a while to get up to full speed, if it ever does, since it's allegedly much tougher on the N64's hardware than Super Mario is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probubly not, or at least not for a while :(
Right now they're still working on speed, then compatibility. Extra features like the ones you'r requesting will probably come last, if at all, sadly.

It's as likely as there is a developer interested in doing it. Those who have fun doing emulation programming are not the same as those who have fun doing netcode or user interface programming.

(As someone who used to work on scripting for Neverwinter Nights and who uses vba/vbs & SQL a lot at work I can say I like messing with those kinds of things but not so much with the more abstract code like emulators where the results are harder to see immediately).

I would like to know if it would be possible to use a USB device (keyboard, controller, etc) as a controller for a second player, so that you could play 2 player games with a friend.

Transmition said:
I would like to know if it would be possible to use a USB device (keyboard, controller, etc) as a controller for a second player, so that you could play 2 player games with a friend.

Generally with linux you just plug stuff in and it works right away. Keyboards/USB Gamepads are no exception. Even xpad (driver for XBox controllers) seems to be included all over. Personally I think I'll end up using my Logitech ChillStream a lot :)
You could also plug in a USB hub, 4 controllers and a TV-Out cable

EDIT: Pertaining to mupen64plus, it'll let you use pretty much anything as a controller

The emulator is completely opensource, virtually anything is possible. Be patient, there are far more important parts of the emulator to be worked on still.

Transmition said:

I just have a hard time imagining the second player trying to see anything on the screen while the first player is busy shaking it with his own control movements. :lol: Thank goodness for the TV out!

lulzfish said:
Also, GoldenEye might take a while to get up to full speed, if it ever does, since it's allegedly much tougher on the N64's hardware than Super Mario is.
I tried Goldeneye with the current emulator and it's crashing due to some TLB mapping issues. This one is going to need more work.

Ari64 said:
I tried Goldeneye with the current emulator and it's crashing due to some TLB mapping issues. This one is going to need more work.

I was just about to post mentioning that it uses demand-paging for instructions. StrmnNrmn blogged about this. For Daedalus he made the mappings permanent, ie, filled in the TLB at translation time and kept it like that. This seemed to do the trick.

Exophase said:
Ari64 said:

I was just about to post mentioning that it uses demand-paging for instructions. StrmnNrmn blogged about this. For Daedalus he made the mappings permanent, ie, filled in the TLB at translation time and kept it like that. This seemed to do the trick.
http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/search/label/goldeneye

It looks like Perfect Dark does the same thing too. Maybe I can cheat and keep the translated blocks in the cache and not invalidate them.

Ari64 said:
lulzfish said:
Could you please tell how well Ocarina runs?

john4p said:
Ari64 said:
lulzfish said:
This is relevant to my interests.

john4p said:
It runs fine, a little slow in certain areas. Last I checked there were some graphical glitches, but I haven't tried Adventus's latest code.

This thread took off pretty fast.
If anyone uses Mupen64 for Windows/Linux, could they tell me why they have no cheat function either?
I'm running Mupen64 OSX which does not have a save function :(
Sorry, it's just odd that the biggest/best Emu has no cheat function.. I'm not a cheater at games (that are new to me), I just want my good old cheats running aswell. I've still got my original 007 GE and Perfect Dark cartridges too!

Does anyone know why the developer chose Mupen64 over any of the other opensauce versions? I don't understand the difference. I know that they all/most use graphics plugins etc etc.

Why has no one tried to port Daedalus, I'm sure strmnNrmn may have some good pointers or info on getting it to run on a different core to X86. I know the PSP is a MIPS system, but Daedalus started on Windows (correct me if I'm wrong) aswell.

Ok... May I ask what that has to do with porting to ARM cores?
I understand what it can do (I was running it at work and playing N64 (mario)!), and its features.

Anyhow... I'll try something else...

How Freaken Awesome would It be to play GoldenEye and Perfect Dark online using a Pandora!??!

DAMN AWESOME!

The psp N64 emu's are pretty decent considering the size of the little thing. I doubt the console will be able to run GE/PD and Turok styled games.
How will the Pandora fit into the grand scheme of things?
Yes, it's double the psp speed (before software O/C'ing) and it's just a hell of a lot better.
But can it handle it?

My work computer is a 2.4ghz P4 (yep, crap) with 512mb ram and onboard intel GFX.. Yes, old, crap.. But that could not run GE at a decent frame rate, actually it was same frame rate as PSP. between 2-10 (MAX!) fps.
How can the OpenPandora keep up?

Under Mupen64 it runs well on my Mac (under OSX) but on SixyForce it has lagging sound.

My mac is: Core 2 @ 2.0Ghz, 4GB RAM, Intel 950 onboard GFX, 320Gb 7200RPM HDD and 10.6.1.

The HDD's RPM should even help compared to an old 5200rpm IDE drive.

Someone help me with some... Something... Possible?

Ari64 said:
john4p said:
It runs fine, a little slow in certain areas. Last I checked there were some graphical glitches, but I haven't tried Adventus's latest code.
WINRAR!

kingoddball said:
The psp N64 emu's are pretty decent considering the size of the little thing. I doubt the console will be able to run GE/PD and Turok styled games.
How will the Pandora fit into the grand scheme of things?
Yes, it's double the psp speed (before software O/C'ing) and it's just a hell of a lot better.
But can it handle it?

My work computer is a 2.4ghz P4 (yep, crap) with 512mb ram and onboard intel GFX.. Yes, old, crap.. But that could not run GE at a decent frame rate, actually it was same frame rate as PSP. between 2-10 (MAX!) fps.
How can the OpenPandora keep up?
Oh well I happen to have a little calculator application I wrote that can compare random PC hardware on an unspecified OS with the Pandora! Just give me a second while it compiles...

Back