Release Mupen64Plus 2.2

Any time I quit from a game it goes straight to the desktop unless I'm using the version with config. Also is there any way to reduce the emulated original game resolution to get a higher emulation speed?
The original (ie, previous) version of Mupen64 is much faster than 2.0 and one of the reasons is that you can run at 320x240 with stretching in hardware. This new version is just so slow compared to the last version that it's largely unplayable whereas the old version, while running less software as accurately, is far more playable.

And the old version can be more highly configured.

D.
I tried everything to get the 2.1 version to work well, it seemed like 60-80% speed on Goldeneye.  Then I jumped to r1b5 and man it was like night and day Goldeneye was 80-100% on the CC at 800mhz.

On 2.1 Mario Kart, and Starfox just gave a black screen and sound, in r1b5, they worked great.

Ptitseb: I'm sorry your newer work does not do as well for me, but thank you very much for your earlier work.

Sidenote: Open Arena does not work...I am on 1.71, it just gives an error when opening and fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any time I quit from a game it goes straight to the desktop unless I'm using the version with config. Also is there any way to reduce the emulated original game resolution to get a higher emulation speed?
The original (ie, previous) version of Mupen64 is much faster than 2.0 and one of the reasons is that you can run at 320x240 with stretching in hardware. This new version is just so slow compared to the last version that it's largely unplayable whereas the old version, while running less software as accurately, is far more playable.

And the old version can be more highly configured.

D.
I tried everything to get the 2.1 version to work well, it seemed like 60-80% speed on Goldeneye. Then I jumped to r1b5 and man it was like night and day Goldeneye was 80-100% on the CC at 800mhz.

On 2.1 Mario Kart, and Starfox just gave a black screen and sound, in r1b5, they worked great.

Ptitseb: I'm sorry your newer work does not do as well for me, but that you very much for your earlier work.

Sidenote: Openarena does not work...I am on 1.71, it just gives an error when opening and fails.
Maybe it has to do with 1GHz vs CC models? I generally get much better performance and compatibility with 2.1 on my 1GHz model. There are so many custimization options to try though, that it can take time to identify the best one.

Maybe it has to do with 1GHz vs CC models? I generally get much better performance and compatibility with 2.1 on my 1GHz model. There are so many custimization options to try though, that it can take time to identify the best one.
I think it must be, I have read that the rebirth do way better than the CC as well (but also from what I have read RAM shouldn't have any bearing). If I get my hands on a 1ghz/rebirth I will test. Or if ptitseb would like I can run benchmarks to figure out what the deal is.

Have you tried the Rice plugins that were recently updated? They have been giving me fullspeed performance on Zelda and Mario Kart.

Have you tried the Rice plugins that were recently updated? They have been giving me fullspeed performance on Zelda and Mario Kart.
I did in 2.1 I had massive graphics glitches in Goldeneye and a black screen in Starfox and Mario Kart but could hear the music. In Goldeneye, Rice was much faster

I did in 2.1 I had massive graphics glitches in Goldeneye and a black screen in Starfox and Mario Kart but could hear the music. In Goldeneye, Rice was much faster
Did you try using a different SGX driver to see if that helps with the black screens?

I will check my Mario Kart settings when I get home, since that is the one that ran best for me back when I had a CC and also now with my 1GHz.

Just checked and I have had great results with Mario Kart using RiceGLES2 and otherwise all default settings from what I can tell. Have you tried both deleting your appdata folder and switching your SGX driver?

If you can run benchmark, it can be interesting yes.

Don't forget to put as many detail as you can (Pandora model, overclock, SGX driver, Plugins used, special plugin setting if not default...).

Did you try using a different SGX driver to see if that helps with the black screens?

I will check my Mario Kart settings when I get home, since that is the one that ran best for me back when I had a CC and also now with my 1GHz.
I did try the sgx drivers, (GoldenEye my test ROM) and it never made it through the first screen before the Rare logo with any of the drivers (beyond default)

Don't forget to put as many detail as you can (Pandora model, overclock, SGX driver, Plugins used, special plugin setting if not default...).
Certainly. Going to be a bit busy buying a house, but I will try and do a variety of even comparisons with both versions.

Pretty much every aspect was the same (except the variable being tested) with my previous testing, but I will get specific frame rates, etc so we can compare side by side.

The one potentially major difference is I disabled sound on the old version.. So I may be getting more speed there.

Certainly. Going to be a bit busy buying a house, but I will try and do a variety of even comparisons with both versions.

Pretty much every aspect was the same (except the variable being tested) with my previous testing, but I will get specific frame rates, etc so we can compare side by side.

The one potentially major difference is I disabled sound on the old version.. So I may be getting more speed there.
From what Notaz has said regarding PSX, disabling sound for games using MIDI soundtracks (like N64 games do) can easily give a 10% speed up. This is why offloading sound emulation to the DSP was such a big deal for his PSX emulator. He wanted to do the same for Mupen, but it couldn't be done feasibly and would have required an entire rewrite of the emulator.

From what Notaz has said regarding PSX, disabling sound for games using MIDI soundtracks (like N64 games do) can easily give a 10% speed up. This is why offloading sound emulation to the DSP was such a big deal for his PSX emulator. He wanted to do the same for Mupen, but it couldn't be done feasibly and would have required an entire rewrite of the emulator.
That might be it then, but give me a week or two and I will do a few tests and post the results

Haven't had a chance to test yet, but I do now have a 1ghz as well as a CC so it will happen at some point.

Setting up 2.1 on the GHz, how do I swap the Pandora L and R buttons? I would like the trigger (z) mapped to the right one

On the aim function in GoldenEye, how do I make up go up and down go down? It is currently inverted

How do I downgrade the resolution and stretch to full screen?

Thank you

Swapped buttons after some digging, stretched the screen, and figured out GoldenEye's inverted scope.

Simple question now: can the INI tweaks be applied to the other video plugins?

Swapped buttons after some digging, stretched the screen, and figured out GoldenEye's inverted scope.

Simple question now: can the INI tweaks be applied to the other video plugins?
Each video plugin has it's own setup, with specific syntax. It can be done, but it's not a simple copy/paste thing I'm afraid

Back