Beta Mupen64Plus

Ari64 said:
What Intel does is to fuse a compare+branch into a single macro-op. This then goes into the reorder buffer and can be issued early if there are no dependencies.

Micro-up fusion for compare/branch only happens if the two are fetched consecutively, so you can already see it doesn't do anything to resolve the branch prediction. In order for something to be moved ahead of the branch w/o penalty the target has to be correctly predicted during fetch. What we're talking about is minimizing branch mispredict penalty, and that only happens by predicting the branch earlier in the fetch stream.

Ari64 said:
I don't know what it does, but I assumed it was doing data prefetches (which could potentially block code fetches).

N64 emulation causes a lot of i-cache misses since doing 64-bit operations with 32-bit instructions tends to be not too good for code density. It'd be better to test this with some other software besides mupen64plus.

The test showed that in cases where icache always misses but there are separately taken paths with equal probability disabling this helped a lot. There weren't data misses involved so it had to be speculation on code paths. Since Mupen64plus has a lot of embedded code paths that aren't commonly executed it seems like it'd make sense to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Loon said:
Do you have to do something unusual to use the keyboard for pausing / quitting etc. when in a game? I can't seem to get it to recognise any key presses when the emulator is running. All the gaming controls work fine though.

Huge thanks to everyone who has worked on this.

Yes, I can't get back to menu while in-game, too. Nothing works. Save/load-states also don't work. It's like the keyboard is dead while playing and the only possibility is quitting via the Pandora-button.

Help!! :)

Now that we are getting more Pandora's out in the wild, is someone going to pick this project back up?

Because this is one of the MAJOR reasons a lot of people wanted a Pandora with analog nubs :)

jonjandran said:
Now that we are getting more Pandora's out in the wild, is someone going to pick this project back up?

Because this is one of the MAJOR reasons a lot of people wanted a Pandora with analog nubs :)

I think trying to get in contact with Adventus is the best option for now.

-God Ginrai

I had a weird bug happen when starting Rayman 2. The game seems to start up and the sound runs, but the screen shows nothing but a screenshot of my most recent savestate from Picodrive.

HackModford said:
Okay... the zelda bug atleast needs to be fixed :angry:

+1. That is the most important one. I also would like Bomberman 64: Second Attack to get fixed. It got a lot of new graphical errors with the last update.

-God Ginrai

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere; How does one access save/load state in Mupen64Plus? The supposed bindings in the configuration dialog don't seem to do anything at all, and I couldn't find this answered anywhere on this forum, the wiki, or the official OpenPandora forums.

I'm clearly missing something obvious, but what?

It supposed to be F5 and F7, but it doesn't work for me. Also, Zelda isn't working for me either. I am on the newest hotfix, does anyone else have this problem?

I dont think the saves states work at present, you have to use ingame mem card saves instead. In addition I think I saw Ari64 post that zelda OoT currently has a bug in the latest version and no longer runs for now. Could well be wrong as usual, so dont quote me.

Phawx said:
It supposed to be F5 and F7, but it doesn't work for me. Also, Zelda isn't working for me either. I am on the newest hotfix, does anyone else have this problem?

Zelda crashes at the save screen in the most recent graphics plugin version. It's a known bug. What's unknown is the current state of Adventus.

-God Ginrai

Save states do work, but the input plugin may be discarding the key events. Try using the basic input plugin and see if F5/F7 works.

Didn't read whole thread, but I have few quick questions:
1. Downloaded mupen from here http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewarea.pl?Emulators is it last version?
2. Do I absolutely need to overclock the pandora to play? because all games I have tried are laggy like hell :(

GuchaRU said:
1. Downloaded mupen from here http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewarea.pl?Emulators is it last version?
2. Do I absolutely need to overclock the pandora to play? because all games I have tried are laggy like hell :(

Most games need some amount of overclocking. Mario 64 is one of the few you can get along pretty well without OCing.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
GuchaRU said:

Most games need some amount of overclocking. Mario 64 is one of the few you can get along pretty well without OCing.

-God Ginrai
Hmm... I don't really want to overclock because i'm afraid of burning my pandora but still I want to play N64 games :) What safe cpu speed I can overclock to without risking to burn pandora?

GuchaRU said:
Hmm... I don't really want to overclock because i'm afraid of burning my pandora but still I want to play N64 games :) What safe cpu speed I can overclock to without risking to burn pandora?

the pandoras soc won't 'burn' in the sense that your core i7 will running twice the speed, if you go too high it'll most probably just need a hard reset and be fine afterwards*

*discaimer: it is technically possible to break it completely if you clock too high, but unlikely

darfgarf said:
GuchaRU said:

the pandoras soc won't 'burn' in the sense that your core i7 will running twice the speed, if you go too high it'll most probably just need a hard reset and be fine afterwards*

*discaimer: it is technically possible to break it completely if you clock too high, but unlikely
Oh, okay. Then I'll start with 650!

Tested it. It hangs if clockspeed is above 700. So, I guess I'll play games with 699 clockspeed. Moft of them still laggy, but mario 64 and road rash runs okay.

Back