Beta Mupen64Plus

Wally

I am a banana!
Mupen64plus is a well known Nintendo 64 emulator which runs fairly nicely on the Pyra.

There's still some issues that need to be resolved which will be resolved over time

This requires libgl-gl4es-pyra to be and latest funkeymonkeyinstalled via apt before it will work correctly

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install libgl-gl4es-pyra

Controls:

Left Nub - Analogue
Right Nub - C Buttons
Dpad - Dpad
X - B
B - A
L2 - Z
L - L
R - R
Start - Start

Rom Directory is in the dragonbox/appdata/mupen64plus/ROMS by default, you can add another using the menu. Save directory is here also.

Issues that need to be addressed:
* Dpad might not work, haven't really done much testing with it and have had mixed reports
* Glide64 plugin is a bit buggy. - I will likely replace this with the newer gonetz plugin soon
* Automated builds don't really work - Most of it is scripted but room for improvement
* No mouse in the GUI, use the touchscreen / D Pad for now :)
* Fog is a bit messy - I assume this is to do with the video plugin or gl4es.
* Some textures are missing, texture plugin or gl4es.

Future Features:
* Add support for Rumble and Microphone (For that one game Hey You Pikachu, why not have the whole experience eh?)

Please post any test results here with screenshots, i'd love to see them :D

As usual grab it @ the Repo https://pyra-handheld.com/repo/apps/39

Last edited:
This is quite cool, I dit a quick test on the break today, I typed the commands in, but on my Pyra, mupen ditnt start, it’s creates an appdata folder, and the red LED left of my Power Button blinks, but nothing else happens

I'll try it later, I had tried the original test DBP, so I wonder will I have better success with this one. Will run the updates as detailed above and report back :)

Reactions: rSl
If you meet dependencies for now it should work

Extra Dependencies required
libqt5widgets libqt5gui5 libqt5network5 libqt5xml5 libqt5sql5 libqt5core5 libpcre2-16 libdoubleconversion1

All of these can be installed by apt

I will need to do some more digging on how to get QT packaged up properly.

Last edited:
Oh, this makes me a bit happyer, because this means my Pyra OS isnt messed up ^^, I try to keep it so stock as i can, so when everything went wrong, i have something to compare and dont have that much to explain what i had changed..
When its Works, i think i will make some Videos this Weekend ^^

I still wonder why whe got first the Emulators that arent that easy, Drastic and Muppen, N64 and DS, ..
Is it because if the Worst Case works, the best cases will work more easy?

Thanks Wally. I cannot test to confirm my thoughts but if anyone cares:

Why Z and L are different keys? I remember mapping them to the same button because they cannot be used at the same time in the N64 gamepad.
Is it comfortable usingthe analog as c buttons? We already have 6 face buttons.Even using the four main ones and then L2 R2 (assuming L1 and Z on Pyra's L1) feels better in my mind.

I'm not the biggest fan of N64 and maybe I'm completely wrong though.

They can be used at the same time, It feels comfortable using L2 as a Z button and the C buttons work fine with the analogue :)

People can map their own controls if they like :)

Mapping looks for me so that it might make sense, allthough i dont have an N64 whit me..
So you will put the lost library in the DBP and reupload?

Cool, so whe can expect a new Pyra Video from Matzes Zeugs or how i called my Chanell tomorrow^^
Rumble would be interessting, and because i got my Airpods Pro to work whit the Bluetooth, there is also no Cable that could be anoying

You have to wait at least until this evening in my Time as im now back on the Counter of our Shop, it wouldnd look that good if i now pull my Pyra and play N64 ^^
But as you are located in Australia, i would suggest when you make breakfast, i think i will try this in 5 Hours or so..

File select dialog is completely broken for me, can't navigate to SD cards at all, any time it's closed it freezes instead and leaves SD card in a locked state. So I can't open a rom or set a ROM directory

Edit: got around the file dialog by putting some roms in a directory in my home and writing that directory into the .cfg file
Now the ROM list loads but starting one fails because mupen can't find libmupen64plus.so.2

Code:
UI-Console Error: dlopen('/usr/local/lib/libmupen64plus.so.2') failed: /usr/local/lib/libmupen64plus.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
UI-Console Error: dlopen('./libmupen64plus.so.2') failed: libminizip.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
UI-Console Error: AttachCoreLib() Error: failed to find Mupen64Plus Core library

Last edited:
From my testing nothing shows in the rom list on first startup. I set my rom list directory in the settings menu, then it took a little bit to load up the roms. None of the games I played, eg Mario 64 or Mario Mariokart played close to full speed. Even though there's an option to change the configuration, it doesn't save properly. I wanted to try reducing the screen resolution to see if that would increase emulation speed.

Even so, its a good first start!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ok I misread those error messages, needed to install libminizip1 to run zipped roms. Mario 64 running good but the colors looked off and lots of z fighting haven't changed any settings yet

I wonder why you all became it to run, but it’s still not working for me,
Also I can’t find a file that looks like gl4es in user bin but I know I made all of the commands In this tread

Ok I misread those error messages, needed to install libminizip1 to run zipped roms. Mario 64 running good but the colors looked off and lots of z fighting haven't changed any settings yet

Minizip should be included in the bundle.. There's a lot of graphics issues with the current plugin as described :)
Post automatically merged:

From my testing nothing shows in the rom list on first startup. I set my rom list directory in the settings menu, then it took a little bit to load up the roms. None of the games I played, eg Mario 64 or Mario Mariokart played close to full speed. Even though there's an option to change the configuration, it doesn't save properly. I wanted to try reducing the screen resolution to see if that would increase emulation speed.

Even so, its a good first start!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

You need gl4es installed, see the first post.

Back