Music Player Concept

T

Trevsweb

Right theres lots of things going on lately but just been playing around with a mockup of what i would love to see from a pandora specific mp3 player
this idea came up because im driving alot and would love to ditch my busted ipod for the pandora... however the current limitation of the music players out there is that the buttons are tiny and will likely involve a traffic offence when fiddling with them.
the requirement to just set up quickly the tracks i want to hear (while parked) then be able to skip and pause songs at a quick tap of the screen (no styus)

came up with a semi-funny name for the project PandaPause (PandPaws)... anyway check out the design

I'm Not a developer so would love someone to code or organise a team to build this.
Please feel free to give me a shout if your interested :)

Concept of the main music playing interface (fullscreen)

musicplayer.jpg

Concept of the library found via the eject button on the player interface

the three shuffle buttons change the library window occording to the selection
album shuffle will require just an artist selection
shuffle all will bounce you back to the player shuffling all songs in the music directory
normal play will allow you to play specific tracks, artists or albums
musicplayermenu.jpg

would be awesome to get some feedback and maybe a hope at helping someone develop this into a real app!
i used some images from google image namely the smoke background effect and the shuffle icon, but i have a friend who can get take a great smoke effect photo and i will eventually design my own arrow icon

Looks quite nice.

I would make the left panel slightly more compact and extend the Songs over the full length though.

Hmm, that does not look that difficult to code, and i'd like some ultra light weight music player. If nobody more qualified than me picks it up, i might give it a try. Don't expect slick coding then though, im more of a "If it works, It's good" guy ;)

That GUI would be incredibly convenient whilst travelling. I like it, too. :D

MarkoeZ said:
Hmm, that does not look that difficult to code, and i'd like some ultra light weight music player. If nobody more qualified than me picks it up, i might give it a try. Don't expect slick coding then though, im more of a "If it works, It's good" guy ;)

my motto is don't pass up an excellent offer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevsweb said:
MarkoeZ said:

my motto is don't pass up an excellent offer :)

I concur with both of these statements.

I like. That's exactly what I want with a media player for the Pandora...

HackModford said:
I like. That's exactly what I want with a media player for the Pandora...

What I want is the ability to fast forward and rewind by rolling the nubs like my thumbs on the turntables.

But your thing looks pretty cool too.

I thought we had a dirty port of xbmc ? that would be great for media playback with large buttons for the touch screen but also what about ubuntu notebook remix also a great choice for the small screen so if we could integrate media playback on to that somewhere it would be very nice.

I am mostly praying for xbmc tho as it will be sooo good looking on the Pandora ,i would hope that mini menu at some point ends up being like xbmc with media playback running in the background ,the future is blinding with the Pandora. B)

And btw that mockup you made looks superb !

I think the best would be a skinnable interface (like pangea, pmenu, etc or rockbox).
That way those that want big buttons, get a skin with it, etc…

And that skin looks great, congrats!

The problem with a lot of these projects is that they become fast "fat" , added functionality and skinning options and so on.
I've been looking for my N800 for ages a "simple" MP3 player that just works with *basic* shuffle stuff... most (like Canola) are just to fat / slow.

your proposal is just damn nice. Please keep it simple, very simple and fast.

The playbar at 1min is a bit out of sync with the timing of the 5min track a bit.. But besides that.. ;)
joke! joke!
It looks bloody nice man, perfect for in the car, I want this too

what would be a nice touch would be if when you are dragging the playbar with your finger, you can currently see the min:sec that you at just above can't you, it would be good if you could make the album picture change to display the min:sec in BIG digital text, same size as that album cover, so you can see where you at [if you reached that good tune at 31:25 in yet] with just a quick glance ... Again so not crashing looking at the smaller number just above the playbar.
That said, doing such a feature would maybe make the app slower and ruin things?

This is very cool. I love the interface. Thanks for your work!

Could this be made into a skin for another program like mplayer?

paddy said:
I thought we had a dirty port of xbmc ? that would be great for media playback with large buttons for the touch screen but also what about ubuntu notebook remix also a great choice for the small screen so if we could integrate media playback on to that somewhere it would be very nice.

I am mostly praying for xbmc tho as it will be sooo good looking on the Pandora ,i would hope that mini menu at some point ends up being like xbmc with media playback running in the background ,the future is blinding with the Pandora. B)

And btw that mockup you made looks superb !
xbmc is too bloated and there are better/smaller music players. xbmc is supposed to run fullscreen on your tv

Looks great! I'd use it.
I'd also use a player that looks/works like Windows Media Player...
Or heck, foobar!

Back