Music Player Concept

grasshoppir said:
xbmc is too bloated and there are better/smaller music players. xbmc is supposed to run fullscreen on your tv

TV-Out cable? Bluetooth remote? USB hard-disk? Wifi media streaming?

Last edited by a moderator:
shadow.8 said:
This is very cool. I love the interface. Thanks for your work!

Could this be made into a skin for another program like mplayer?

was thinking of mplayer skinning if its possible! but not 100% sure would prefer a custom build job if someone was able. something pandora inc could be proud with :D

SomeGuy99 said:
grasshoppir said:
xbmc is too bloated and there are better/smaller music players. xbmc is supposed to run fullscreen on your tv

Yeah, but XBMC is the opposite of a lightweight music player. Hopefully it sees a release one day (I'm a huge fan of it), but it's a whole other beast, and a whole other thread.

On topic, fantastic looking concept Trevsweb. I've been crossing my fingers for something like this pretty much from day one. The input options we have allow us to steal the best control methods from iPod and XBMC, particularly with regard to seeking. (I listen to a lot of DJ sets, sometimes a single 2 hour long mp3, so seeking is everything!).

There was recently an article about a coder writing XBMC for embedded devices, specifically targetting the beagleboard for a coding competition. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

But we really need a media player designed like this, it looks great. On the library page, it might not be too finger friendly, could that shuffle option list be made smaller or minimized allowing more room for song scrolling?

Gruso said:
SomeGuy99 said:
grasshoppir said:

Yeah, but XBMC is the opposite of a lightweight music player. Hopefully it sees a release one day (I'm a huge fan of it), but it's a whole other beast, and a whole other thread.

On topic, fantastic looking concept Trevsweb. I've been crossing my fingers for something like this pretty much from day one. The input options we have allow us to steal the best control methods from iPod and XBMC, particularly with regard to seeking. (I listen to a lot of DJ sets, sometimes a single 2 hour long mp3, so seeking is everything!).

thanks can you post it via your blog would really love to get this developed!

Gruso said:
I will most certainly post it when the POS lets me.

lawl! that would be great. something unique to the pandora would be excellent but if it come to it a skin that meets all requirements would also suffice :)

the library page was never finger friendly ... tbh it never will be the ammount of data etc... it just would cope.
as i said i love listening to music via shuffle, if a decent shuffle algorithim comes around that can incorperate my quick "next/pause" selection then i'll be happy to accomodate but its best to focus on something custom and become a unique selling point for the pandora! thats all i focus on at this time.

Polossatik said:
The problem with a lot of these projects is that they become fast "fat" , added functionality and skinning options and so on.
I've been looking for my N800 for ages a "simple" MP3 player that just works with *basic* shuffle stuff... most (like Canola) are just to fat / slow.

your proposal is just damn nice. Please keep it simple, very simple and fast.

avoiding double posting*
yep i agree tho have limited knowledge of this!
all i want is it to play songs in a shuffle or the albums order. everything else is extra.
i want it open source so people can chip in (tho the developer(s) needs to agree to this) if not thats fine with me.
skinning wont be an option at first but if possible wouldnt mind streching to a change in backgrounds. nothing major! want to try and keep it to the main requirements tho

Gruso said:

I'm a huge fan too. It's incredible what those guys can make my old Xbox do. That skin that mimics the blade UI from the 360? Incredible!

It would be surreal to hook a Pandora up to the telly and have the same thing but oh so much smaller. In another ten years, will I be running it from my phone or watch? Crazy. The Pandora in many ways is the spiritual successor to my modded Xbox, only in miniature handheld form.

SomeGuy99 said:
Gruso said:

I'm a huge fan too. It's incredible what those guys can make my old Xbox do. That skin that mimics the blade UI from the 360? Incredible!

It would be surreal to hook a Pandora up to the telly and have the same thing but oh so much smaller. In another ten years, will I be running it from my phone or watch? Crazy. The Pandora in many ways is the spiritual successor to my modded Xbox, only in miniature handheld form.

my aim is not for all media tho, just music!

Trevsweb said:

I agree with Gruso that the scope of your program is perfect.

And your mocked up skin looks really nice.

thanks very much... any suggestions for the concept? don't want to add any more features than this really.

Trevsweb said:
In my opinion, music and video should be kept separate.

It makes sense on a media centre to have a unified interface since that's all they do, but the Pandora does a lot more than that.

Watching video and listening to music are entirely different things and have entirely different usage patterns.
Music requires a lot of organisation and information to be available.
Normally with videos though, you can pretty much get by with a file manager.

That said I use pure mplayer with no GUI to watch videos so I'm obviously crazy. :p

Would Audacious do the job, it's supposed to be lightweight, is skinnable and supports adding plugins for extra functionality...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacious_Media_Player#Skins

tbh i've never used the search field in itunes(appart from just to give it a try) i dont really want to involve serious stuff... music playing/controlling and shuffling are the key aspects for this. infact i'm quite happy to ditch the library if the shuffle was good enough. The n900 player looks great... what does the rest of the ui look like? wondering if the music library side of things looks like my n95.

looks like MarkoeZ might have chucked his name into this hat... hope hes up to giving it a go... message forthcoming. :)
other music players on the market don't have the full customisability that something custom would present. maybe it'll come to the point where i dabble with music player skinning again but i dont think it will create results i'll be happy with

i'll be happy to make and design anything on this or any other apps specifically for the pandora :)

Ah, busted. ;)

Must say the idea kind of settled in my mind and i've been doing some code testing with music files and playlists. Nothing to show yet, but i can almost instantaniously swap between two songs back and forth with 2 buttons, works kinda fast. That's on my 2 year old desktop ofcourse, no idea how speed will be on pandora. Currently ogg works for me, mp3 should work on pandora (after the codec update) and other types will follow

If you have the graphic files available seperate, that would be a big help, im not that good at that stuff,

But i want to give it a shot, also a nice project to try new Penjin stuff without messing up the complex Panjoust code ; ) pixel based collision for the round buttons (Fox!), better filehandling(Poke!), etc.

Oh and don't worry, i have no plans to extend it anywhere beyond a fast and functional music player :)

Excellent. :) I won't put this out on the blog yet then, it'll be much more fun to announce it when you guys are ready.

Trevsweb said:
came up with a semi-funny name for the project PandaPause (PandPaws)...
Just need to mould this into a logo of sorts then: P&A|| :D

trevs is sending me the images tomorrow, PM him and I'm sure he'll send you the zip also.

so i guess we're gonna have a competition to see whose lightweight media player is better :p
If you actually get something done though I'll probably just drop mine since I have a lot of other projects to work on.
I just didn't know anyone else was going to work on it so I started writing it myself.

Back