My New Game For Christmas

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Here's my latest game - unfortunately it's not for Wiz, Caanoo or GP2X - and there's no chance of a Pandora version anytime soon, either.

xmas_puzzled.PNG

It's a puzzle game for Christmas - it's more than just a sliding block puzzle game though, and there's a lot more to it.

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/xmas_puzzled.rar (<>5MB)

It's still a WIP, but it's fully playable and has 6 levels. There's still some sound to be added and some changes to the bonus items (they currently don;t change at all between levels, so there's no real difficulty curve, other than the images provided).

I have a longer, non-Christmas themed version, which will be available soon for various systems (including iPhone), but that's unlikely to be out before New Year.

Hope you enjoy it. Bug reports and feedback welcome :)

No! It's an EXE! :( (Runs to the corner and cries) T-T

It's virtually unplayable in Wine on my laptop, so I don't really know how good of a game it is.

What language is it written in?

Let me explain what it looks like in Wine:
-When it starts up, the graphics freeze for a while when the music is playing.
-Some of it is in a 7cm by 1cm window, and the rest is in a hugeass window that extends beyond my screen.
-The picture isn't there.
-Sometimes the graphics freeze up for a few seconds.
-The music all of a sudden starts looping the same three notes, then eventually stops completely.
-I cannot exit the help screen.

Just had a quick go and it's nice. I had been expecting just a standard slider game, but was pleasantly surprised :p

I've only really got a few comments for now now:
Could you make it so that the mouse cursor isn't 'locked' inside the game?
It would also be nice if you could mute the music somehow as it could get quite repetitive having the same tune playing over and over.
Sliding the tiles around was also a little 'clunky' (although I played it using my laptops touchpad, which might not have helped). It sometimes took a couple of tries to get a tile to slide around, and there were quite a few times where the tiles went flying through one of the gaps that has suddenly appeared whilst sliding (mainly when going through the top one.. the right one seemed to hardly ever open).
At some point my CPU usage also rocketed, slowing the game right down, but I don't know whether that was down to the game or something else.

Other than that, yeah... nice little puzzler :p

It's was coded for Windows based pcs and uses C++ and OpenGL via GLBasic, so I'm not surprised that you're having some problems Com64. I haven't tested on any other rig - just my Windows 7 lappy.

I can't guarantee that it'll even run properly on other Windows machines, let alone anything else! :p

I have found one bug that affects the game sometimes - for some reason (that I have spent two days trying to find) sometimes a puzzle piece isn't created. This bug is rare, but it happens once in every 20 games or so, maybe. Too common to be overlooked, but not often enough to catch easily.

iprice said:
It's was coded for Windows based pcs and uses C++ and OpenGL via GLBasic, so I'm not surprised that you're having some problems Com64. I haven't tested on any other rig - just my Windows 7 lappy.

I can't guarantee that it'll even run properly on other Windows machines, let alone anything else! :p

I have found one bug that affects the game sometimes - for some reason (that I have spent two days trying to find) sometimes a puzzle piece isn't created. This bug is rare, but it happens once in every 20 games or so, maybe. Too common to be overlooked, but not often enough to catch easily.
I've had about 5 puzzle pieces missing 0_o

Last edited by a moderator:
I have NEVER had any more than one puzzle piece missing. I might have lost some bonus items though, but as I use/get rid of these quickly it's difficult to tell if/how many go. But it doesn't happen often. I tried for over a two hours of continuous play to identify the problem last night and I didn't lose a single puzzle piece. It's bloody annoying. I think I know what's causing the problem (bad array manipulation), but I can only tell for sure while the game is running and it's outputting gameplay data. And of course it's playing nicely, so I can't get the missing info.

As I'm still working on this, I added some new levels too (it's upto 10 now).

UPDATE

I've included a video here now, so that you can see it's not just another sliding block game.

Sorry, video has no sound :(

WINDOWS PC DOWNLOAD

HOW TO PLAY

The object of the game is to complete a picture puzzle from a series of puzzle blocks. The game is played with then mouse. Puzzle pieces, bonus items and bombs are removed from the box at the top left of the gameboard, one piece at a time, by clicking on the flashing arrow.

To move a puzzle piece, bonus or bomb, click on it with the mouse and then move your mouse in the desired direction. The items will move until they collide with another item or the edge of the gameboard.

You can get rid of items by moving them through open gateways. Puzzle pieces are placed back in the box - other items are destroyed.

Once the picture is complete you can move onto the next level.

The bonus items currently comprise of fire, water, holly, ivy, lips, mistletoe, knife&fork, turkey, Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes and pigs in blankets (carrots and peas coming soon!). Throw certain bonus items together to obtain bonus points. An extra life is awarded every 50,000 points.

Bombs are bad and will explode after a short time or if they collide with the fire item. So get rid of these as soon as possible. You can douse bombs with water for extra pointage.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you
It's very good..it's not very easy but i like it :)

Merry Christmas!!

Back