Testing Wanted For A New Gp2x F200 Game

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
[EDIT] I just noticed that this may be in the wrong forum. Can a Moderator/Admin move it to the correct place if so.

Hi all, I'm completely new to the GP2X, and I'm actually asking for help with regard to a working project.

I'm in the process of finishing off a puzzle game written for the GP2X

I've been writing it on a pc in GLBasic, however I'm not able to test my game on a GP2X (F200 only at the moment).

I'm asking for a genuine willing a dedicated volunteer (or two) to help test the game on a real F200. I'm interested in any/all bugs sound problems and gameplay difficulties especially with touchscreen control.

The final version will be freely available for any GP2X.

Anyway, to whet your appetite (or to put you off completely), here are some WIP images

glblox01.png

glblox02.PNG

glblox03.PNG

The file as it stands is less than 2Mb compiled(.RAR) so it's not very big. The game is simple in concept, but becomes devilishly difficult, but hopefully still fun.

If you are genuine, interested and most importanly ABLE to test on a REAL GP2X F200 (the one with touchscreen), then please email/PM (if available) me.

Whoa, this looks cool! And you're telling me it will use the touch screen?!

I am SO signing up. Send me the link. :D

I've sent you all PMs with links to what I hope is a working version of B'lox! for the GP2X. I've included a Windows .EXE so you can play it on a pc if it fails, so that you know what to expect.

I'll let you all work out how to play (it's not that difficult), and should use only the stylus/pen or mouse on pc. You can use cursors/direction keys in most menus and SPACE or a GP2X button to select option.

Please leave feedback and report any bugs/anomolies/crashes/non-working programs/errors etc. etc.

Please be gentle - this is only a WIP and my first ever GP2X game. :)

iprice said:
I've sent you all PMs with links to what I hope is a working version of B'lox! for the GP2X. I've included a Windows .EXE so you can play it on a pc if it fails, so that you know what to expect.

I'll let you all work out how to play (it's not that difficult), and should use only the stylus/pen or mouse on pc. You can use cursors/direction keys in most menus and SPACE or a GP2X button to select option.

Please leave feedback and report any bugs/anomolies/crashes/non-working programs/errors etc. etc.

Please be gentle - this is only a WIP and my first ever GP2X game. :)

Im also interested in testing

Last edited by a moderator:
So, first test results. I logged the start of Blox, there are a few errors:

CODE

Using mmuhack.o
Gottttt /dev/mem at 0x5
Got blitter at: 0x42303000
BackBuffer is 0x4232a000 (virtual)
get pid
read link
exepath via /proc/ = /tmp/mnt/sd/Blox_GP2X/blox.gpe
chdir("/tmp/mnt/sd/Blox_GP2X") = 1
fopen("smalfont.bmp", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
can't open(3):
Init OK
fopen("media/highlight2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
internal error: relative pathname and non-matching case sensitivity
cannot read directory media - watch case sensitivity for directory names!
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/shadow.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/board2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/font4.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/font3.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/cursors.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/icons4.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/blox.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/walls4.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/star.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/gui3.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/mini2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/ticker.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/disc.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/splash.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/mouse.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/bar.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/rainbow.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/bg2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/copyright.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/music.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/warn.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/flags2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
fopen("media/ting.wav", "rb") failed. Mode is rb

The PC Version works like a charm. The only thing I noticed is, that there ís no music. The sound effects are OK.

The GP2x version:

GLBasic screen -check
Select Language screen -check
Start screen -check
Start game -check

The touchscreen do not work properly in the game. The calibration seems not to be OK. Often the tochscreen seems to didn't work at all.
The Editor works great. The calibration is OK here.
The "How To Play" screen works, but no exit is possible.
Nice graphic style and gameplay (in the PC version). The touchscreen navigation in the start, options and editor screens works great.
German language supported - sweet :)

Regards,
Stephan

[Edit] Just checked the game with my F-100:

I noticed some controls are mapped on the stick click. Just for you to know: The F-200 has no working stick click yet.

[Edit 2] There are compatibility problems with gmenu2x I noticed before with GLBasic games and the F-200.

Although you claimed in your PM to me (and possibly others) that the music was in .mp3 format, no music played, and I looked through the files and no mp3 files existed. I suggest you use a .ogg format, because the GP2X seems to like those better.

Anyways, to bugs! The main title screen works perfectly, everything is as it should be. However, the options screen is a bit different. To maneuver the cursor from one option to another, you have to use the D-pad. If you tap with the stylus, no matter where, it will just act as if you had pressed B over whatever option you have selected (this actually made me panic a bit when I first did it because my game suddenly jumped to German. :p )

The level editor/creator works perfectly, kudos to you on that. However, the save/load file menu's buttons don't work, and also, the menu doesn't close. There should be a "cancel" button, or maybe just a little red/orange X is the corner you can click if you don't want to save or load.

Finally, the main game. Both the test mode of the editor and the game itself do the exact same thing: the background moves, but the stylus does nothing... Absolutely zip. It's just unresponsive. At least you included a quit button (the - and + buttons at the same time) so I didn't have to restart my GP2X too often (the one time was with the save/load file menu in the level creator).

But it's coming along quite well! I just wish the main game would work.

Hope to see a working version soon, and good job to you for what you've already done.

You're the very first homebrew developer to use the touch screen as the base for a game! Ten points to you for that. :p

He is not. I am forever humbled by bman's rudely pointed out correction.

Cheers Stephan

Oh dear :(

That's a strange error log - It "bails", but ist still able to load the graphics/media??? I'm assuming that the GP2X doesn't really like packed media. I'll ensure that it's unpacked next time.

Interesting to hear that the pc version has no music - it certainly does here. Have you adjusted the volume (in the options screen) at all? Is there music on the GP2X? I presume that your pc does generally play .MP3 files without problem. :(

I can't understand why calibration in-game is different to the editor - it's pretty much the same code. I'm going to dig deep for that one.

Can you not click on the "OK" in "How To Play" to exit?

What's a "stick click"? Not sure about gmenu2x - what is the problem?

I expected some problems, but there's a lot more than I anticipated :(

Thanks for testing. At least the game does actually run on a GP2X though :p :)

[EDIT] Replying to Noremakk now

I did warn you about disabling SAVE/LOAD in my PM. It will be sorted in the next test.

You shouldn't have to use the D-pad keys at all really - interesting to note that Stephan (sbock) stated that the touchscreen controls worked fine in the options screen. What's going on here?? :(

I'll convert the music to .OGG format for the next test - see if that'll run on pc and GP2X.

Cheers guys

Noremakk said:
You're the very first homebrew developer to use the touch screen as the base for a game! Ten points to you for that. :p
Please refrain from making these assumptions. Touchscreen has been discussed here and here with some homebrew happily implemented since the inception of the F-200. I agree that this is an impressive homebrew effort but that credit is misplaced.

Since I highjacked the thread, I sent a PM to the author to volunteer for testing as well.

Cheers bman, PM sent :)

No more testers required for the time being. Thankyou to those victim...err volunteers. I expect you all to earn your money! ;) :p

No, there is no MP3 sound in the PC and the GP2x (F-100/F-200) version. The Errorlog from the GP2x says:

CODE
PLAYMUSIC:
Couldn't read from 'media/fishland.mp3'
PLAYMUSIC:
Couldn't read from 'media/frenchip.mp3'
PLAYMUSIC:
Couldn't read from 'media/fishland.mp3'

You shouldn't have to use the D-pad keys at all really - interesting to note that Stephan (sbock) stated that the touchscreen controls worked fine in the options screen. What's going on here??

No, Noremakk is right here. I've got the same fault. i just mean the touchcsreen itself is working in the options screen.

Can you not click on the "OK" in "How To Play" to exit?

No, the touchscreen is not responding.

What's a "stick click"? Not sure about gmenu2x - what is the problem?

When you push down the joystick at the F-100. It's an extra button which is missing with the F-200.
I know that normally you will use the touchscreen with the F-200. But when you will use alternate controls via pad and buttons the stick click is not the best choice...
There are some strange crashes and game behaviours with gmenu2x. But other GLBasic games seem to have the same problems. So I think there is nothing you can do about it. It's a job for the GLBasic author.

Regards,
Stephan

I'll upload a version with the media unpacked later/tomorrow to see if this helps with music playback at all. I'll post all updates to the same address, and let you know when one is available.

Re: The touchscreen controls for options - I can implement a similar control routine as used on the icons in the game and editor (I'm presuming that they worked OK?) - they aren't activated until the player removes the pen from the screen.

Well, that gives me some things to work on tonight :)

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW I forgot to mention that can testers please not distribute the game/WIP or the links to others at this poinit. Thanks. Public discussion is fine, but no file sharing.

I'm late... :lol:

Some of my comments have already been pointed out by Stephan & Noremakk, but I'll just reiterate them. :p

On the GP2X:
- When tapping anywhere aside from the selectable items while using the touchscreen, it executes the currently highlighted item; it's gets annoying when mistapping.
- When touchscreen is not used, it is impossible to navigate or select items since the button to select is missing or was not mapped properly.
- The selecting of language in the Select Language screen seems odd when not using the touchscreen, as the D-pad Right button needs to be held down to highlight the German language; it reverts back to the English language when released.
- Touchscreen control doesn't work properly while playing or testing a puzzle, but works fine while in the editor.
- Touchscreen control in the Options screen seems to only act as a substitute to a button press, and D-pad is still required to change the selection. It would be better if it acted similar to the controls in the Start screen.
- Touchscreen control for the Music Volume bar is limited, as it only moves in one direction until it reaches the limit, then reverses.
- The confirmation pop-ups sometimes require two taps to select an item. The first would move the mouse cursor to the selected item, and the second would then select it.
- When selecting "How To Play", sometimes it just quits back to the Title screen, but when it does work, there is no way to quit it. The OK item doesn't work, nor does the escape combination (Vol - & +).
- No music, but there is sound effects.
- The Demo on-screen indicator is not shown properly and is misaligned.

On the PC:
- When left-clicking the mouse anywhere aside from the selectable items, it executes the currently highlighted item; it's gets annoying when misclicking.
- The drag area when dragging blocks around is not uniform for the four directions. Up, Up-left, & Up-right areas result in an Up direction; Left & Down-left areas result in a Down direction; Down & Down-right result in a Down direction; Right results in a Right direction. Up has the widest area, while Right has the narrowest area.
- Mouse control in the Options screen is limited. The mouse-over area is restricted to the left side of the screen when highlighting items.
- Mouse control for the Music Volume bar is limited, as it only moves in one direction until it reaches the limit, then reverses.
- There is music and sound effects, but the music will stop playing once the song ends while playing the game; it doesn't loop or change to the next track.
- Selecting the Previous Puzzle item at Puzzle# 1 would cause it to go to Puzzle# 0 which is an empty stage, and pressing it again would then go to Puzzle# -1 and crash the program.

Nice job so far. The PC version is completely playable (except for the minor issues). :)

EDIT 1: In the Puzzle Editor, what does the Puzzle + & - items do? (Is it by any chance the slot number that the puzzle would be save to?) :huh:

EDIT 2: I was able to solve all the 27 puzzles except for Puzzle# 6 & 8. Are those two even solvable? :huh:

EDIT 3: Finally solved the last two puzzles. :p

bman said:
Noremakk said:
Please refrain from making these assumptions. Touchscreen has been discussed here and here with some homebrew happily implemented since the inception of the F-200. I agree that this is an impressive homebrew effort but that credit is misplaced.

Since I highjacked the thread, I sent a PM to the author to volunteer for testing as well.

It wasn't an assumption. :glare: I'm sorry if I'm mistaken... This is just the first touch screen game I've seen. And I've been looking for them.

iprice said:
I'll upload a version with the media unpacked later/tomorrow to see if this helps with music playback at all. I'll post all updates to the same address, and let you know when one is available.
Friendly tip: always send stuff out with everything fully unpacked (size for a game this small doesn't matter unless one of your testers has a 12 MB SD card or something else ridiculously small like that); it always runs faster that way, especially if it's just in the beta alpha testing like it is now. It just seems to work better.

iprice said:
Re: The touchscreen controls for options - I can implement a similar control routine as used on the icons in the game and editor (I'm presuming that they worked OK?) - they aren't activated until the player removes the pen from the screen.
The editor is really great, it functions perfectly (although I have to ask as Manjuu did: what are Puzzle + and Puzzle - supposed to/going to do), and if you made the game's control functions identical to that (if it's possible), then it would work without a hitch.

Also, I knew about the save & load buttons, as you mentioned, but perhaps you should include a "Cancel" or "Close" button in case you want to neither save nor load a puzzle.

iprice said:
BTW I forgot to mention that can testers please not distribute the game/WIP or the links to others at this poinit. Thanks. Public discussion is fine, but no file sharing.
Aye aye, cap'n! *hides files in secret folder... on my desktop labeled "GP2x stuff"*

The "+" and "-" increase and decrease the current puzzle number, so that you can select exactly which number you want to load/save the puzzle as. You can even change this value while selecting on the Save or Load gadgets, so that you can alter the puzzle number at the last moment.

I have actually already implemented a "Cancel" option to the Save/Load options - what foresight! :p

The reason it wasn't available in that beta was primarily because I hastily added an EXIT button to the editor (it wasn't there five minutes before sending out the test), but in adding it I had to condense the seperate Load and Save icons into one. I preferred it the other way, but then there was no EXIT button. Lose/lose for me.

The new GUI Load/Save object then didn't hook up to the load and save functions, so that's why I stated in the PM not to use it. I fixed them and then added Cancel and all is working well now. :)

I've now fixed all menus (I hope!) so that you activate them by removing the stylus from the screen, rather than touching it - this gives the user opportunity to press down and move the stylus over all options without activating, but highlighting the currently selected option. Hopefully that'll sort out any menu woes.

As for media not being packed, well that's just my ignorance of not developing on non-pc hardware. I was informed and believed that the software (GLBasic) worked pretty much identically on pc and other machines. Obviously this is not the case. But, that's why I needed testers - to check these things :)

The new update is ready, just waiting to be uploaded (I'm actually at work at the moment and can't upload from here). Expect it at about 08:00 UK time. I'll edit this post [again] when done. :)

[EDIT] Oops, I missed a post. Re control issues with mouse - the difference in angle when selecting direction has been noted before, I will sort this.

All puzzles in those packs are completely solvable. I did #6 in 19 moves and #8 in 52 moves(I have actually beaten that though, in an earlier version). You just have to try a bit harder :p

The non-looping music is a GLBasic bug that was supposedly fixed a couple of days ago, but obviously not. It was working properly at one point - I assumed it still was until another devleoper PM'd me this evening about it. I finish the puzzles so quickly, that I never get to the end of the songs - and due to developing I'm constantly testing then stopping. At least you can hear the music on your pc - others can't! :)

iprice said:
(Blah blah blah) Save/Load fixes all done(blah blah blah)
Good to see the Save and Load options are all good now. :)

iprice said:
The new update is ready, just waiting to be uploaded (I'm actually at work at the moment and can't upload from here). Expect it at about 08:00 UK time. I'll edit this post [again] when done. :)
Ack! That's 2 AM here! :wacko:

I'll have tested it all out by tomorrow evening... or about 3 AM UK time. :p

I'll be up! - I'm working night shifts atm.

Where else can I code in peace? :p

[EDIT] *** UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE ***

Menus fixed (hopefully)
Load and Save re-integrated
Cancel option added to Load/Save GUI
Music and media available unpacked

Back