Testing Wanted For A New Gp2x F200 Game

First look:

In the new version the touchscreen in not working properly in the language selection screen (But can be bypassed with volume button), the option screen and the game. The editor is not selectable (no bypass available I presume). The touchscreen is working in the main menu and the GLBasic screen.
So I changed the .gpe file with the old one.

Here's the new log: (For both .gpe files the same result)

CODE
close..... touch
Using mmuhack.o
Got /dev/mem at 0x5
Got blitter at: 0x42303000
BackBuffer is 0x4232a000 (virtual)
get pid
read link
exepath via /proc/ = /tmp/mnt/sd/Blox_GP2X/blox.gpe
chdir("/tmp/mnt/sd/Blox_GP2X") = 1
fopen("smalfont.bmp", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
can't open(3):
Init OK
fopen("media/highlight2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
internal error: relative pathname and non-matching case sensitivity
can open("media/highlight2.PNG", "rb") luckily
fopen("media/highlight2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
can open("media/highlight2.PNG", "rb") luckily
fopen("media/copyright.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
can open("media/copyright.PNG", "rb") luckily
fopen("media/copyright.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
can open("media/copyright.PNG", "rb") l

Here's the Errorlog: (both .gpe versions)

CODE

Music is now played in the menu, options, and in-game. (both .gpe versions)
With the old .gpe the music in the editor and the how-to is fine, too.

Unfortunally with the new version I can't test with my F-100 further as the main menu, because no button seems to be active here.

Can somebody confirm this?

Regards,
Stephan

It seems as though the touch screen has taken a step back in the menu department; the main menu no longer works without using the D-pad to switch selection, and the option screen does what it did before, except now the stylus does not have any influence at all (I had to reset my GP2X to get out of it). Due to this, I couldn't check the Level Editor.

The actual game is in the same state as it were before: still nothing.

On the good side, the music now works. :D I like the music.

I also tried switching the .gpe with the old one as sbock did. After that, it behaved as the original you distributed, but the music played.

So basically, with this version, you've fixed the music! :p

Well, that was a wasted night of development :(

So the menu controls are no better at all????

I might as well just revert back to my old file, but with the media available.

I didn't alter the game at all in this update, I just wanted to get the menus working.

I really don't understand why they are worse in this version.

Can you test this -

With the stylus held on the screen, move over the options. Does the correct option turn red?

If the above is true then it's only the activation that's the problem and I can think of ways of sorting that.

If moving over options with the stylus doesn't make the relevant option turn red, then something is wrong with my idea as to how it all works. :(

iprice said:
Well, that was a wasted night of development :(

So the menu controls are no better at all????

I might as well just revert back to my old file, but with the media available.

I didn't alter the game at all in this update, I just wanted to get the menus working.

I really don't understand why they are worse in this version.

Can you test this -

With the stylus held on the screen, move over the options. Does the correct option turn red?

If the above is true then it's only the activation that's the problem and I can think of ways of sorting that.

If moving over options with the stylus doesn't make the relevant option turn red, then something is wrong with my idea as to how it all works. :(
Okay, wait a second... I only left the version where I mixed the old .gpe file with the new music on my SD card... re-loading newest build on... Rebooting GP2X... Playing game...

Nope, the options screen is totally unresponsive. However, the main menu does what you say it should... Unsure of whether this is good news or not.

edit: but all is not lost! Who knows? You may have fixed something else we had no access to during this version due to menu problems!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the title screen options (Play Game, Options and Exit) highlight red, but the ones in the actual options screen (Language etc.) don't work at all? I don't understand that, it's running virtually the same code - time for a looksee, methinks :(

I'm going to have to create some test code to see what exactly works and the accuracy of the touchscreen.

Sorry for the double post, but can someone test this - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/gp2x_test.rar (970kb) and give feedback.

There are three tests - each designed to test the accuracy and effectiveness of the F200 touchscreen and stylus with GLBasic.

The tests are a simple scribbler, a cursor and a simple two "button" check - one button needs to be clicked to activate, the other needs the stylus to be released on it to activate. Activation is indicated by the box turning red.

This last test is the most important. I need to ascertain if it works properly and which users actually prefer.

Thankyou.

BTW This is a public test.

iprice said:
Sorry for the double post, but can someone test this - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/gp2x_test.rar (970kb) and give feedback.

They work great, in fact I find they're even more accurate than SDL's implementation (tapping is more accurate).

I wasn't real sure how the buttons test was supposed to work, I mean they both turn red when tapped, the button on the bottom just stays red for a bit afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback Senor Quack, that's all encouraging - now if only I could get the same positive response to my game menus (they SHOULD work, but apparently don't) :(

Re: Button test
The bottom button should not turn red when first clicked on. It should only turn red when you remove the stylus from the screen. if you just pressed the button quickly, I can understand why it turned red (it's because of the removal of the stylus).

If you press the screen (while off the button) and move onto the bottom button, it should remain blue. Remove the stylus and it should turn red briefly. If it turns red straight away when moving onto the bottom button, there is a problem. I don't want this to happen.

If the above all works as I hope, then this further confuses me, as my game menus are set up in a similar fashion. I bet it's something simple like a variable error. :huh:

iprice said:
Thanks for the feedback Senor Quack, that's all encouraging - now if only I could get the same positive response to my game menus (they SHOULD work, but apparently don't) :(

Re: Button test
The bottom button should not turn red when first clicked on. It should only turn red when you remove the stylus from the screen. if you just pressed the button quickly, I can understand why it turned red (it's because of the removal of the stylus).

If you press the screen (while off the button) and move onto the bottom button, it should remain blue. Remove the stylus and it should turn red briefly. If it turns red straight away when moving onto the bottom button, there is a problem. I don't want this to happen.

If the above all works as I hope, then this further confuses me, as my game menus are set up in a similar fashion. I bet it's something simple like a variable error. :huh:
Yeah, double-check your code; you probably just have a number out of place. A typo or something.

iprice said:
Yep, now that you explained it I went back and the bottom button works as you described.

I'll test some more tonight or tomorrow if you PM me links to updated versions if you feel like bug-hunting.

I've completely rewritten the Options section of my game code (again), to see if it's any better this time. I've Not touched any other part of the game tonight - I want to get this menu sorted once and for all. Then I can concentrate on fixing the hard stuff - the actual game! :p

I'll upload the update at about 08:00 UK time again - new download details will be PM'd to those that have given assistance/feedback (this now includes Senor Quack).

Thankyou for your continued support :)

No, didn't work. A white arrow cursor is visible and the program crashes to desktop when pressing the touchscreen or exits to the main menu.

:(

So pressing any option on the Options screen (even language?) crashes?

I'm presuming the crash isn't a crash at all - I think it's probably exiting from the Options screen AND the title screen, thus exiting the program - whatever the case it shouldn't be doing that, although I've an idea why.

The white cursor was accidently left in from pc mouse control (so I can see where I'm pressing).

I dunno, every version seems to get worse! Perhaps programming in the middle of the night while at work isn't such a good idea :p

[EDIT] I've uploaded another update to the same address. I'm not expecting any major differences between the last one, just hoping that it doesn't crash. Mouse cursor shouldn't be visible now.

iprice said:
:(

So pressing any option on the Options screen (even language?) crashes?

I'm presuming the crash isn't a crash at all - I think it's probably exiting from the Options screen AND the title screen, thus exiting the program - whatever the case it shouldn't be doing that, although I've an idea why.

The white cursor was accidently left in from pc mouse control (so I can see where I'm pressing).

I dunno, every version seems to get worse! Perhaps programming in the middle of the night while at work isn't such a good idea :p

[EDIT] I've uploaded another update to the same address. I'm not expecting any major differences between the last one, just hoping that it doesn't crash. Mouse cursor shouldn't be visible now.
No mouse cursor, but... I'm sorry to tell you this... The menu no longer crashes to the desktop, but it does jump back to the main menu. The main menu still works fine. The options menu behaves as though, no matter where you press the stylus, you are pressing the "exit" (or "quit" or whatever it's labeled) button.

Also: the language selection at the beginning still doesn't work. A + and - vol reset bypasses it, but you may want to try to fix it. It worked in the original you distributed.

So far, your best version is the first version's .gpe file, mixed with the second versions auxiliary files (to get the music working).

Cheers Noremakk

I think I'll work on a menu-only program, to get this sorted once and for all. Odd that one menu works and the other doesn't though.

BTW The packed media music problem was apparently a GLBasic bug, which has supposedly been fixed now.

New public menu test program available - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/menu.rar (973kb)

Hopefully this will work as intended. Stylus and/or D-Pad control should be supported.

It offers a release=activate (ie pressing the stylus to the screen highlights the option - removing the stylus activates the option).

VOL+ and VOL- to exit.

Back