Testing Wanted For A New Gp2x F200 Game

Touchscreen is working fine now in the Options screen.

The overriding of the dialog is working.

Maybe it really was GLBasic. The next (few) update might confirm this. :rolleyes:

iprice said:
New update - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_066.rar

Changed the Puzzle Select screen a bit - you can now have access to an unlimited number of puzzles. Added details to the arrow buttons, to indicate that L & R change the puzzle selections.

10 new puzzles (total 70).

Added direct volume control back to Options screen.

Touchscreen is still working in the Options screen. :)

The volume controls is back and working, but I noticed that it can't mute the sound at all. There is still sound even on the lowest setting. This applies to anywhere in the game.

The new Puzzle Select screen is more useful, but there are some bugs in it. It would crash if you go to Puzzles 997-1008 as it exceed the 999 limit. The number indicators also is kind of messed up when transitioning from 2 digit numbers to 3 digit numbers and vice versa; the "0" would appear for a brief moment in front of the 3 digit numbers (e.g. "0108" instead of "108"), and it also would be missing for a brief moment in front of the 2 digit numbers (e.g. "96" instead of "096").

P.S. I finished the 9 new puzzles. The cake was tasty. :lol:

EDIT: I can only reproduce the "0" digit problem when using the touchscreen. The culprit might be the CPU drain when touchscreen is used, which slows things down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent news. :D

I shall check out all of the above problems in the next update. I'll add a few more puzzles too, seeing as you just zoom through them!

Cheers Manjuu :)

BTW Everyone loves cake :D

New update - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_067.rar

Fixed the Puzzle Select additional zero problem (further to your EDIT, it occurred only with touchscreen control; I accidently put the touchscreen code for increasing the puzzle numbers after the screen drawing routine - it wasn't affecting the numbers until the next frame, but caused a very brief glitch).

You can no longer choose a puzzle over 996 now (this includes in-game and puzzle editor).

Sound can now be properly muted.

Two more puzzles - the last one is a little tougher than the last few :)

Firstly: Good work, iprice. The progress made is very good thanks to your persistently coding. Thumbs up!

Two small recommendations:

1. Cursor speed adjustment via tochscreen not possible. The parameter is selected but the bar is not changing.

2. Control Type "Direct" should be "Direkt" in the german translation.

Regards,
Stephan

Cheers Stephan

I'd forgotten about cursor speed adjustment for the touchscreen, seeing as I was having problems with the Options menu - now it all seems sorted, I will add it (even though it's not technically necessary).

The Direct/Direkt translation was a spelling error on my part - I had that as a translation, but didn't include it. My bad.

Nearly there :)

Right, if all is well this will be the final update, before I post it off for the competition - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/bloxv1_068.rar

Added touchscreen control for the cursor speed.
Fixed translation.
Added a couple of new puzzles (now upto 75).
Removed cross cursor

If there is anything anyone feels is missing, or still not working properly, then let me know and I'll try my best to incorporate/fix it in further updates. I'll also work on extra puzzles.

I found no flaws in the game yet. As the release is near, I've logged once again the serial output. Don't know if it has any value for you.

CODE
Using mmuhack.o
Got /dev/memmmmm at 0x5
Got blitter at: 0x422bb000
BackBuffer is 0x422e2000 (virtual)
get pid
read link
exepath via /proc/ = /tmp/mnt/sd/Blox_gp2x/blox.gpe
chdir("/tmp/mnt/sd/Blox_gp2x") = 1
fopen("smalfont.bmp", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
fopen_case - bailing out
can't open(3):
Init OK
fopen("media/star2.png", "rb") failed. Mode is rb
internal error: relative pathname and non-matching case sensitivity
fopen_case - bailing out
can't open(3):
LOADSPRITE: failed to open file:
end of input stream

The cursor speed adjustment via touchscreen is working know.
I don't tested the new puzzles fully, leaving that to Manjuu... :)
One small "feature request": I suggest adding an icon for gmenu2x. BTW I tested the game under gmenu2x and there are no problems anymore as there where in the first release.

Good work, iprice! I always liked the game and I think there is a good chance of winnig a price.

Regards,
Stephan

Cheers Stephan :)

That logfile is basically stating that two images are not included with the game - the first is GLBasic's text font, the second was from a very old piece of my code, calling for some little stars that I was going to use in a little firework display type thing. Neither are needed or necessary.

Sorry, I don't know how to add an icon for gmenu2x - I don't have it installed on my F100, so don't really know much about it.

I'm glad you like the game, it would seem that Manjuu likes it too - he's a demon with those puzzles! I'll have a few more prepared for him in the final release :)

Can I just say once again (to all testers) thankyou for your valuable assistance. Without your feedback, this game wouldn't be half of what it is now. I know the basic shell was there, and it all worked on pc, but your contributions made the transition to the GP2X easier and clearly identified problems that I could never have foreseen. Thankyou all :D

I do hope you'll join me on my next GP2X game :)

Ian

All seems to be working fine, aside for a few minor stuff.

The program seems to crash in the Test Mode if you press the Vol - & + combination while a Confirmation dialog is on-screen. I find that the button combination is no longer necessary, and not to mention that not all the screens have this implemented. So I find it better to just have it removed; it also would prevent accidental pressing when changing volumes.

Is there a particular reason why the initial puzzle number in the Puzzle Editor is set to #70?

There are only a few more things that really needs to be done, like removing the changelog at the start of the game, as well as add some more puzzles.

The latest few additions were quite challenging. It took me some time to figure out #72. :lol:

Is the sequence of the puzzles fixed? I found the difficulty level of the puzzles to be uneven, and some puzzles that required a certain technique are clumped together. Properly positioning the puzzles would improve the experience.

As for the GMenu2X icon, it is basically just a 32 x 32 pixels PNG image (that can have transparencies), which has the same name (although not necessary) as the GPE file. You can just take a look at some of the (recent) releases for the GP2X that have this, to get a better idea. Maybe also include a Readme text file while at it... :p

If time permitted, some more polishing (i.e. D-pad controls) and additional features (i.e. L, R, Select, & Start button shortcuts) could be done, but a lot of the time got wasted on trying to fix the Options screen. Nevertheless, the current state of the game is already very solid. It definitely exhibits how the touchscreen improves playability, which is an integral part of the contest, and most importantly, it's fun to play.

I'll gladly help out in your future projects. I hope to see more quality games for the GP2X. ;)

OK. I'll remove the VOL + & - from the various parts of the program.

It starts at screen #70 as I forgot to reset it back to 1. I set it so that I could quickly start creating puzzles from #70 onwards.

The new puzzles are a bit trickier, aren't they :p

I intend to review the order of the puzzles, not necessarily to grade them in fiddiculty, but make the challenge curve a bit less steep. The first two puzzles are very easy, then it jumps very quickly to challenging.

I've got a ReadMe file prepared already - there was no need for it until now. I will be removing the ChangeLog too; the SplashScreen will be the first screen to be shown. I'll add a .PNG icon too.

I'd forgotten about L, R and START shortcuts for menus etc. I'll see what I can do. That's what happens when you have to redo certain aspects over and over again for no obvious reason ;) :p

Thanks Manjuu. :D

iprice said:
OK. I'll remove the VOL + & - from the various parts of the program.
ALLOWESCAPE FALSE
will totaly cleanse this :)

as for sound:

for volume control I recomend make sub that
checks Vol - and Vol + keys for volume control (even to graphicaly notify volume level change)
and call before every SHOWSCREEN

after every PLAYMUSIC it seems needed to manualy set it's volume by MUSICVOLUME volume(that bug has not been reported fixed yet)

I have variable "volume"(0-1) that is used in every PLAYSOUND (index,pan,volume) and have no sound problems on gp2x

maybe you will find something useful from that(if you haven't made it all already)

Yes, I've done all of that quasist. The volume wasn't muting as I'd set the minimum volume level to 0.1 rather than 0.0, other than that it was working fine.

I have used ALLOWESCAPE FALSE - I just put in ESC clauses into the code to allow quick exit for devlopment purposes.

Yes, I've done all of that quasist. The volume wasn't muting as I'd set the minimum volume level to 0.1 rather than 0.0, other than that it was working fine. I have a function that deals with volume adjustment.

I have used ALLOWESCAPE FALSE - I just put in ESC clauses into the code to allow quick exit for development purposes.

iprice said:
Yes, I've done all of that quasist. The volume wasn't muting as I'd set the minimum volume level to 0.1 rather than 0.0, other than that it was working fine.

I have used ALLOWESCAPE FALSE - I just put in ESC clauses into the code to allow quick exit for devlopment purposes.

Yes, I've done all of that quasist. The volume wasn't muting as I'd set the minimum volume level to 0.1 rather than 0.0, other than that it was working fine. I have a function that deals with volume adjustment.

I have used ALLOWESCAPE FALSE - I just put in ESC clauses into the code to allow quick exit for development purposes.
You got quite a strange FOR situation

Isn't close button on win32 window is not enogh to emulate ESC key? :)

I'm not quite sure why my message appears twice, but...

If you don't use "SYSTEMPOINTER TRUE" you don't get a mouse pointer to access the Windows exit. Besides, sometimes I just want to exit a function/routine, not the whole program.

Here is an example for an icon (from MAME4all):

mame.png

It's also visible in the game launcher with the original firmware from GPH on F-100 and F-200.

But it's not so important and OK when you don't want to make one.

I just like icons for all applications of the GP2x and will try to made one on my own (but be warned, I'm a terrible drawer/designer... :) )

Regards,
Stephan

I like icons too, I just didn't know how to implement them.

The standard "football?" icon for GP2X is but, erm well... not good! :p

I'll create something suitable today.

:)

Here's the icon that I created for B'lox! - nothing exotic, and I haven't used transparency (if someone wants to, then go ahead - send me a copy ;)).

I've also included 20+ new puzzles - all tested to be possible (except the last one - I haven't tested it, but it should be...)

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/data_and_icon.rar (10kb) - all 97puzzles and icon. Have fun Manjuu :D

[EDIT] Forgot to say that once I have 100 puzzles, I shall be ordering them to ensure that the difficulty curve is a bit friendlier, as it's all over the place at the moment.

Back