My Pandora Is Now Set With The Essentials...

Kumaki

OK, I now have my Pandora set with the basic essentials I wanted:

Emu's

PanMAME

MAME4ALL

FBA

GNGeo

PCSX reARMed

gpfce (NES)

gpsp (GBA)

gnGB (GB, GBC)

Hugo (PC Engine)

Atari 7800

SNES9x

PicoDrive (SEGA Genesis, Master System)

RACE (Neo-Geo Pocket)

Colem (Coleco)

Dega (SEGA Game Gear)

Handy (Atari Lynx)

MSX

Stella (Atari 2600)

UAE4ALL

Vice (Commodore 64)

jzintv (Intellivision)

Games:

Peg solitaire (just got it for shiggles)

Accessory:

Calculator

Multimedia:

VLC Media Player (videos)

Rockbox (audio)

Browser:

Firefox

Office:

AbiWord

Gnumeric (excel - spreadsheets)

PortaBase (database - access)

qorganizer (daily planner)

System:

PND Manager

This is all the stuff I added, not counting the stuff it already came with, like the document viewer, etc, that I didn't actually put on there.

I have nearly 2,000 songs on Rockbox, by the way...and noticed when you set up a shuffle, it will only do 1,000 at a time...I just hope it picks a different 1,000 each time you set that up, LOL. Still trying to find out how you set up Playlists in Rockbox.

Anyway...the main reason for this is twofold:

First and foremost, I want to thank from the bottom of my heart, everyone in this community who has patiently helped me to get things working...and for those who did all the programming work so that this stuff would be available for me to fumble around with LOL.

This device is truly awesome and wonderful.

The second reason...I wanted to know if anyone could tell me....what sort of cool apps, games, etc...would be good additions to my Pandora, now that I have the basic essentials I totally wanted.

I have 13.8 GB of space left on a 32GB card in one slot, and currently no card in the other slot, so I have room to play around.

Any suggestions of really cool, useful stuff...would be appreciated. and agin, my thanks to all in this community who have made this all possible, from the coding, the porting, the design and development...the early believers who pre-ordered to finance this whole thing...all the way to the patient members of the community who have kindly offered their assistance. and even a thanks to the few who have been a bit sharp and telling me to read the documentation, it is actually good to do this, and now I know where to find it, LOL. I have to try to get into user-panic mode a little less often.

Again, thanks for all your patience and work...and any pointers towards some cool stuff would be appreciated. And sorry for being so wordy!!

I have nearly 2,000 songs on Rockbox, by the way...and noticed when you set up a shuffle, it will only do 1,000 at a time...I just hope it picks a different 1,000 each time you set that up, LOL. Still trying to find out how you set up Playlists in Rockbox.

I just had Rockbox scan my SD card and then turned on shuffle and chose a song. I get all 1199 audio files to show up in the playlist. On my Sansa Clip Zip I run Rockbox and I have 1046 songs and the shuffle works for all of them as well.

I just had Rockbox scan my SD card and then turned on shuffle and chose a song. I get all 1199 audio files to show up in the playlist. On my Sansa Clip Zip I run Rockbox and I have 1046 songs and the shuffle works for all of them as well.

How did you do that? Maybe I am not using the controls right?

Here's what I do...

Open Rockbox

right dpad on files

navigate to where the files are.

I get a message "dir buffer is full"

and it starts playing, and I'm on song #1 of 1000

even though I have over 1800 songs in there.

And believe me, I am showing off this baby!!

I just chose "Database" then "Artist" the <AllTracks> then i just choose the first one. I haven't figured out how to get it to choose a random song first so I usually just choose the first one and the press next track. I am going to create a 1sec silent mp3 to choose first to fix that.

I just chose "Database" then "Artist" the <AllTracks> then i just choose the first one. I haven't figured out how to get it to choose a random song first so I usually just choose the first one and the press next track. I am going to create a 1sec silent mp3 to choose first to fix that.

Thanks. all 1800+ of my songs show up that way. alas, there are a few garbage things, not sure how to get rid of like a car door and stuff which I never actually put on the system, LOL...no biggie, just fast-forward past them.

But I DID figure out how to get it to choose a random song first.

In Playback Settings - there is a selection for Play Selected First. Set that to NO. It defaults to YES.

Now if I could do some playlists in here, so that I could eliminate stuff I don't want....

and so I could put some of my effed up Christmas music on there that I would want to eliminate from normal playback, and only use during Christmastime...no traditional Christmas music for me, I give the whole season a big bah humbug and a send up...because this country and world long ago forgot what Christmas is supposed to be about (hint: it isn't about gifts and money) But I digress.

Anyway...now you know how to make it not pick the selected song first.

And I know how to make it play all my songs.

Even the "songs" I don't want, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should have looked a little harder. Thanks for finding that. I don't personally use playlists so I have no idea how to do it inside Rockbox. I'm pretty sure it supports regular m3u playlists so you could create them on the pc and put them on the sd card.

I guess I should have looked a little harder. Thanks for finding that. I don't personally use playlists so I have no idea how to do it inside Rockbox. I'm pretty sure it supports regular m3u playlists so you could create them on the pc and put them on the sd card.

Would you do that with, say Microsoft Media Player, or what?

I'm not too experienced at doing this outside of my Zune. and the Zune does not help me, I do not think...since you can't export things off the Zune into your PC...at least I do not think you can....

You could use Windows Media Player. I hate using the program myself but I know it can save m3u files. There are tons of software that can make playlist files. I use Ubuntu so I have always used Rhythmbox.

You could use Windows Media Player. I hate using the program myself but I know it can save m3u files. There are tons of software that can make playlist files. I use Ubuntu so I have always used Rhythmbox.

Now...I'd have to wipe the existing "library" and create a new library, using the mp3's already on my sd card, right?

As I understand, you'd then also have to save the playlist to the sd card.

The question is, though...when you're making a playlist...it is calling a specific path to the music, but the drive letter would change...so how is this handled? Seriously, I hate to be a pain, but I'm not sure I understand how to do this - mind that I use Windows for my PC, are there any programs you know of or can suggest, where I could make playlists?

And make t so that the file paths are correct, so that when I put the playlists on the sd card, they would work?

Or maybe I should try making some playlists in Audacious?

The second reason...I wanted to know if anyone could tell me....what sort of cool apps, games, etc...would be good additions to my Pandora

Hi Kumaki,

Great to hear how much you're enjoying your Pandora, to help with this question could you let us know what sort of games you like & what you intend to use your Pandora for?

A few of suggestions from me :

Forget me Not

Wesnoth

SMPlayer2 - for when performance from VLC is not that great

why no mupen? while its not perfect for most games, many do run quite enjoyable. also try some of the alternatives of what you use, for instance, midori, babypanda, qupzilla, chrome/ium for you web browsers. for music player, audacious, deadbeef, alsaplayer, minamp. for video, smplayer2(as suggested), panplayer, xbmc media center. you might enjoy some of these a bit more than what you currently have, and they might offer the features youre looking for, or maybe they just run smoother without the features you dont need

Now...I'd have to wipe the existing "library" and create a new library, using the mp3's already on my sd card, right?

As I understand, you'd then also have to save the playlist to the sd card.

The question is, though...when you're making a playlist...it is calling a specific path to the music, but the drive letter would change...so how is this handled? Seriously, I hate to be a pain, but I'm not sure I understand how to do this - mind that I use Windows for my PC, are there any programs you know of or can suggest, where I could make playlists?

And make t so that the file paths are correct, so that when I put the playlists on the sd card, they would work?

Or maybe I should try making some playlists in Audacious?
You could use a program like MediaMonkey to make the playlist but I'm not sure if it will work right with the file paths the way they get saved. I created one real quick and the path for the files showed as ..\..\..\My Music\Various\Tutti! Orchestral Sampler\01 Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov - Dance Of The Tumblers.flac. If you look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U it has an example of using relative paths instead of fixed. You should be able to figure it out.

why no mupen? while its not perfect for most games, many do run quite enjoyable. also try some of the alternatives of what you use, for instance, midori, babypanda, qupzilla, chrome/ium for you web browsers. for music player, audacious, deadbeef, alsaplayer, minamp. for video, smplayer2(as suggested), panplayer, xbmc media center. you might enjoy some of these a bit more than what you currently have, and they might offer the features youre looking for, or maybe they just run smoother without the features you dont need

Never heard of mupen. One of the reasons I created the thread is to learn about some things I did not know about. I think I might look into some of those audio programs. Because even Audacious...it doesn't allow me to take files off a playlist, that I know of...you'd have to take the mp3's you didn't want off the card, and then have it search and build the playlist, then out the others back on...pain. There HAS to be a better way.

Never played with an Atari ST, so never tried it. I just might.

I think I'll try a few of the other audio programs, and if I can't get where I want to be that way, then MediaMonkey may be the way to go. again, thanks for the tips, helps, and suggestions for other stuff. Like I said, this is kinda why I created the thread...to get some ideas for apps that are MUST HAVES.

I'd love to see a thread started and stickied....where people would suggest certain apps and talk about them a little bit...so that people know what's available. Because just cruising thru the repo board looking....well, there's a lot of stuff out there!!

We have a very busy, active coding community here, for which I, as more of a user than a coder...am eternally grateful.

At least

Super Geometry Dust

Microbes

and Frogatto

are missing in your games section.

Hummm...Atari ST looks rather nice, I probably need to try it.

DeadBeef seems to work the best for what I want to do here...although building a playlist within it must take quite a while...since you seem to have to add the songs all one at a time....no way to add them all at once, and then just remove the ones you don't want....at least not that I can figure.

I can figure how to remove a song file from the playlist...but not how to put them all in at once and then just take out the unwanted ones. but at least deadbeef would let me do it. I see no reason, of course, not to also just keep rockbox...but I might move that to my menu and deadbeef out to me desktop instead of the other way round, like they are now.

Well, I just figured out how to build a playlist in Audacious....which seems my best bet now. I can't seem to make Deadbeef put ALL the songs into the list and then just take out the ones I don't want...but Audacious will do that.

Likewise, with audacious I can build the playlist a song at a time instead of all at once. This way, I can put my parody Christmas music in, so that it only plays when I want it to, the right time of year, ya know? I don't wanna get into July and have a christmas song come up, ya know? That's even worse than getting rickrolled by your music player. LOL.

So now I might try Atari ST...but it would be helpful to know what file extension it wants.

Then I should just look thru some of the games. I'm having fun playing around now.

So now I might try Atari ST...but it would be helpful to know what file extension it wants.

Standard ST disk file format is .ST

"Automation Atari ST" would be a good start for a google.

You'll need a TOS file (like Bios for other emulators) - TOS 102, I think, is the most standard/popular.

Back